Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2012, 10:56 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,449 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My goal is to not eat anything without saying the appropriate blessing for it. I am learning them all.

At home, it's easy. However, this may be silly, but what do you do at work? I bring my lunch, as everything the drug reps bring in or that's in the cafeteria is off limits for me. So, do I say the blessing in my office, and then go out to the lunchroom to eat? Or do you say it quietly to yourself before you eat? It needs to be said out loud, correct? And then you say the blessing after food also. Again, how is this best done?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 07:31 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,712 times
You should say the bracha while you are holding the food you are saying the blessing over. There should be no interruption between the bracha and eating the food. It's perfectly ok to say the bracha only loud enough that you yourself can hear, but a person sitting next to you cannot hear you. As long as the volume is on .5 (out of 10), you're all set. Same thing with bentching or any after bracha you say.

By the way, it is very meritorious for a Jew to undertake saying the proper brachas before and after every food they eat. Well done! The meforshim say that the food we eat belongs to Hashem, and by saying the bracha, we are recognizing who the food belongs to. Should a Jew eat food without saying the proper bracha before eating it, the sages tell us it's as if that Jew is stealing the food from Hashem.

Saying a bracha is a mitzvah. One should say a minimum of 100 brachas a day. It's nearly impossible to hit that number without blessing the food you eat.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:52 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,864,102 times
I say just loud enough for it sound like a murmur to the guy sitting next to me. I can hear it, but he barely can (similar to when saying the Amidah silently). They've gotten used to me pulling out my siddur after I eat by now anyway.

Last edited by JB from NC; 12-17-2012 at 04:00 AM..

Old 12-17-2012, 04:04 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,449 times
Thank you both. Appreciate the information. It's tough knowing what to say when, but this is an ongoing process and very worthwhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism