Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 06:34 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,939,634 times

Advertisements

So, my 9 yr old comes home with a flyer about Multicultural Night at her public school.
They are looking for volunteers to set up booths in the cafeteria displaying their culture..
She was so excited and already coming up with ideas..... Challa, hummus, pita. Grapejuice,
Candles, Hebrew, history, pictures, dreidels, Maps, holidays, Jewish People who contributed greatly to society. She asked the only other Jewish Family to also sign up.
Guess what night this falls on???????

March 26 2013.

We have 2 days to sign up...daddy says NO WAY!
I say what better way to introduce the school to Matzah
And one of the most significant Holiday in our lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 07:28 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,850,957 times
I know the dilemma.

Every time one of the local colleges or other venues sponsor a program that has any connection to Judaism (whether it is music, a play, etc.) they are quick to invite the local community.

The problem?

It's always on Friday night.

And the kids' schools aren't any better. They'll schedule events during Jewish holidays (knowing full well that they have Jewish kids in their class) and then complain when the kids are kept out of school for a religious observance.

There's enough multi-religious calendars out there that scheduling things shouldn't be this difficult.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:09 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,340,489 times
I recently had a colleague at work ask me if I'd be willing to participate in a diversity and cultural sensitivity video at work. Of course, the filming was on Shabbos afternoon. Another similar example, huh?

Old 02-01-2013, 01:15 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,939,634 times
One of the other parents remarked that the only ones who show up for this event
Are immigrants, hardly any Caucasians as spectators.
Gut Shabbos everyone.
Or as they say in my area,
Shabbat Shalom Ya'll

(Don't cringe)

Old 02-01-2013, 01:26 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,501,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
One of the other parents remarked that the only ones who show up for this event
Are immigrants, hardly any Caucasians as spectators.
Gut Shabbos everyone.
Or as they say in my area,
Shabbat Shalom Ya'll

(Don't cringe)

really, where we are almost everyone enjoys international night.

The matzoh is great (but pesach is still an unfortunate time for this, because even many less observant jews won't eat obvious chumetz, and many slightly more observant who would eat vegetarian food at an event like this, will be able to eat nothing (except for the matzoh from the Jewish table)

As for scheduling, it can be frustrating. sometimes its real time constraints, sometimes laziness or ignorance. Its good to keep reminding people, and to lobby school boards and local govts.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:28 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,723,788 times
Shavua Tov, y'all,

I had a similar experience. Went to Yom Kippur services, and there was a huge happy festival directly across the small street from the shul. It was very odd to hear partying and music and celebrations that were pervasive and very audible and clear even with two sets of doors closed. They probably had no idea, I realize.

Good luck, Gilah!

Old 02-03-2013, 11:46 AM

15,773 posts, read 21,283,299 times
Get involved with the PTA and the school to avoid these kinds of conflicts. We never ran into it growing up, despite being the only Jews most of the other students had ever met, because my mom joined the PTA and made sure that our interests were represented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism