Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 01:12 PM

18 posts, read 49,329 times

Advertisements

As my study of the Abrahamic Religions continues, I have been looking at the similarities and differences between the three largest montheistic religions on the planet that also all claim connection with the Patriach Abraham(Judaism, Christianity, and Islam). As I have been mostly looking at the theological differences between Judaism and Christianity. One of the big theological differences that i came across was the Fall of Lucifer and the many other Angels that started a rebellion against G-d. In most branches of Christianity the Fall of the Angels is an important theological concept. While from most of what i have read is that Judaism rejects the Fall of the Angels. As my study continued i was able the confirm that the theogical idea of the Fall of the Angels was indeed started in the second temple period of Judaism in around 200 B.C. but was later rejected by most branches of rabbinical Judaism. My question i guess is how it got started in the first place and why it continued in Christian theology?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 02:55 AM

526 posts, read 690,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishHebrew1 View Post
One of the big theological differences that i came across was the Fall of Lucifer and the many other Angels that started a rebellion against G-d.
My question i guess is how it got started in the first place and why it continued in Christian theology?
Those who rebelled against the gods in the first place were the lower class gods and then the men.
If you really want to know how it got started in the first place you have to read texts older than the Hebrew texts.

As regards Christian theology, it produced only one original idea and that is that the God is omniscient (the God of the OT is not) and also all beneficent and merciful (which the God of the OT is also not).

Moreover, the Christian theology was forced to take a step back and recognize a female deity. A Goddess (the "Mother of the gods" of the polytheistic religions) that does not exist in the purely theocratic OT.

If you truly want to understand theology, you have to take into consideration tradition and mythology because theology borrowed the idea of the existence of gods from popular tradition and not the other way round.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:34 PM

19 posts, read 44,431 times
That the G-d of Judaism is not omniscient would sure come as a surprise to the Rambam who lists it as one of his 13 Principles of Judaism!

Maimonides #10-11 - God's Omniscience

There is no concept of fallen angels in Judaism. The word translated from Hebrew as "angel" is "malach" -- which means messenger. There are human and heavenly angels in the Jewish bible. The heavenly messengers have no free will and there is no such thing as a "fallen" angel.

There is no "lucifer" either. The word "lucifer" is a Latin word for a Hebrew word (Helel) which means "son of the morning." Isaiah 14 is speaking of false Canaanite / Babylonian gods whom the Xians translated as the word “lucifer” which they then decided had to do with devils. There is no “lucifer” in the T’nach. Isaiah 14 has nothing to do with angels, let alone adversarial angels (satans).

Old 03-02-2013, 05:05 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,025,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shragae View Post
That the G-d of Judaism is not omniscient would sure come as a surprise to the Rambam who lists it as one of his 13 Principles of Judaism!

Maimonides #10-11 - God's Omniscience

There is no concept of fallen angels in Judaism. The word translated from Hebrew as "angel" is "malach" -- which means messenger. There are human and heavenly angels in the Jewish bible. The heavenly messengers have no free will and there is no such thing as a "fallen" angel.

There is no "lucifer" either. The word "lucifer" is a Latin word for a Hebrew word (Helel) which means "son of the morning." Isaiah 14 is speaking of false Canaanite / Babylonian gods whom the Xians translated as the word “lucifer” which they then decided had to do with devils. There is no “lucifer” in the T’nach. Isaiah 14 has nothing to do with angels, let alone adversarial angels (satans).
I believe that it is only Christians that believe the Angels could fall. The Islamic Belief regarding Angels is nearly identical to the Judaic belief, in that Angels have no free will and therefore can not rebel or fall. I believe the Sabeean's (Baptizers) also believe the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism