Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 10:43 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,864,102 times

Advertisements

If you're wanting to start living and worshiping as a Jew, then you should probably speak to your local rabbi. Even with verifiable maternal descent, you would likely be encouraged to join a conversion class or other basic adult beginner's class in order to learn what you need to know so that you can establish a foundation for Jewish leaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 10:53 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
If you're wanting to start living and worshiping as a Jew, then you should probably speak to your local rabbi. Even with verifiable maternal descent, you would likely be encouraged to join a conversion class or other basic adult beginner's class in order to learn what you need to know so that you can establish a foundation for Jewish leaning.
Exactly.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:15 AM

111 posts, read 154,975 times
Quote:
Sephardi or azkhenazi as i'm a mix of both

Old 04-29-2013, 11:26 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,864,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellr098 View Post
Sephardi or azkhenazi as i'm a mix of both
Since you were raised in neither, which ever you feel most comfortable with is what I would say. But it would really depend on what is available in your area. Some communities are large enough to support multiple synagogues and a variety of traditions. Others, like mine, can only support a single synagogue for all Jews in the area.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:36 AM

My mother is azkhenazi does that mean I'm azkhenazi?

Old 04-29-2013, 02:38 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,712 times
Quote:
If you're wanting to start living and worshiping as a Jew, then you should probably speak to your local rabbi.
I don't mean to discount others here, but I would suggest you ask your local Orthodox rabbi, not just any rabbi. If your goal is to be universally accepted as Jewish, it won't help much to ask a Reform or Conservative rabbi.

That will not come over well to my fellow posters here, but I give you the brutal honesty in order that you follow the correct path.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:38 PM

938 posts, read 1,514,513 times
Tribe affiliation follows the father but if your father is not Jewish then I'm not sure. You're probably Ashkenazi.

It is very hard to find non-Ashkenazi communities in the U.S. and the UK so you might as well start reducing your non-potato vegetable intake now.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Tribe affiliation follows the father but if your father is not Jewish then I'm not sure. You're probably Ashkenazi.

It is very hard to find non-Ashkenazi communities in the U.S. and the UK so you might as well start reducing your non-potato vegetable intake now.
My father was sephardim who like my mother converted to christianity

Old 04-30-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post

I get the reference

Old 04-30-2013, 11:52 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
You are what you are. There is no converting to what you already are.

there's something called a giyur lechumra - when Jewish status is not 100% certain, to make sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism