Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 10:25 AM

864 posts, read 870,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Maybe it should of been kept quiet, but it was therapy for her and what she lived thru. I commend her for what she wrote about and lived thru. That is my opinion and if you don't like it, sue me (as a famous writer/laywer here says in his articles)
Problem is she didn't "live thru" what she wrote. Since when is lying therapy? The book was just a money making scheme, no more no less.

Quote:
What is "machlokes
The Hebrew word for controversy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 10:48 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
It's not easy to match a rabbi to a congregation. Our rabbi of 17 years retired last year, and it's looking like the one we hired to replace him isn't a good match (that's why it's a two-year initial contract). And he was hired after a year long search and several visits by potential candidates. There have been rabbis that served for a decade, and others that didn't make it a year.

You can have two rabbis with very similar views when it comes to observance and halakhah, but with very different personalities and inter-personal skills.
Yes, there is definitely something to be said for good "fit" when hiring for leadership positions. That fit can be very hard to find, though. And in the meantime, the leaders are the ones who get tossed around, moving their families year by year.

It's kind of funny to see it from the other side. At a Heads conference last year, all the Headmasters were joking about how some of them had gone in circles, each following the other to a new school who thought they were really getting a good leader this time, when their buddy was the one they just fired. There really are only so many people out there who will subject themselves to the kind of abuse leaders have to take. This is why I am such a big supporter of the Myers Briggs system. While it can't eliminate issues of differing halakhah, it can take some of the guesswork out of the personality/people skills part of the equation. If you want someone who is extremely people an relationships focused, don't hire an INTP. ;-)

Old 07-04-2013, 10:50 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
In Jewish circles, unless Rabbis found their own congregations, which a lot of them do, the congregation will hire an outside person as Rabbi. The Rabbi, as a hired person, can either be a puppet to the congregation who hired him, or he can lead as he sees fit. This arrangement often ends up in conflict because nobody likes to be told what to do, especially if they hired the person who's doing the telling. A good Rabbi must be pious, principled, and ethical and have great interpersonal skills. Welcome to machlokes.
This sounds EXACTLY like school leadership. But even is the Rabbi (or other leader) is all those things, sometimes people still complain. Look at how much Moshe was tormented.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:33 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,978 times
Quote:
Doubt such an animal exists.
It does, believe it or not~! What is wrong with someone who still is a Jew but feels more comfort in being associated with another movement~?

Old 07-16-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
It does, believe it or not~! What is wrong with someone who still is a Jew but feels more comfort in being associated with another movement~?
The original question was about someone who grew up orthodox, not about a Jew who feels more comfortable in another movement.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
The original question was about someone who grew up orthodox, not about a Jew who feels more comfortable in another movement.
I know what the original question was, since I posted it. But I was asking since it seems like she seems like she feels more comfortable in another movement when I spoke to her then.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:00 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I know what the original question was, since I posted it. But I was asking since it seems like she seems like she feels more comfortable in another movement when I spoke to her then.
I would submit that "comfort" is a yetzer hara, and that one should do what is proper, not what ones finds comfortable.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
But I was asking since it seems like she seems like she feels more comfortable in another movement when I spoke to her then.
So explain just how orthodox was her upbringing. Somebody who grew up truly orthodox would find any other "movement" a joke.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
So explain just how orthodox was her upbringing. Somebody who grew up truly orthodox would find any other "movement" a joke.
The Reform movement is not a joke We all are Jews no matter how we believe or if we don't believe. We should respect others Why do you feel it is a joke~?

Old 07-16-2013, 09:12 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times
Quote:
Sadly there are off the derech Jews who are indeed comfortable in a reform shul. But in each case where you find that, you will also find either serious hashkofic problems with the family or some kind of abuse. It's quite abnormal to go from Orthodox to any other movement unless there are deeply held problems somewhere in the person's past.

Kedusha is only meant to go upwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism