Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:42 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,035 times

Advertisements

Even though I have heard the joke about two Jews and three opinions, I didn't comprehend how much Jews could strongly disagree with each other, especially on topics like Zionism and the Holocaust.

So what Jews do you admire?

I have heard that Moses Maimonides was very special and the philosopher Spinoza was very admired, but that's about the only historical Jews that I am aware of. Yeah, it's been a long time since I read "Jews, God, and History", so I have forgotten a few things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 11:06 AM

864 posts, read 870,931 times
Quote:
I have heard that Moses Maimonides was very special and the philosopher Spinoza was very admired,
Neither of them were admired by Jews who kept the Torah.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:15 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,787,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Neither of them were admired by Jews who kept the Torah.
Really? I expected that about Spinoza, but I thought that Mamonides was regarded more highly even within orthodox Judaism. I think I have seen theflipflop reference him several times...

-NoCapo

Old 08-20-2013, 11:34 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Really? I expected that about Spinoza, but I thought that Mamonides was regarded more highly even within orthodox Judaism. I think I have seen theflipflop reference him several times...

-NoCapo
While the Rambam (Maimonides) is more likely to be revered by Sephardic Jews (I'm Ashkinazi), he was surely one of the greats. He'd make my top ten list of people I admire. Spinoza - may his name be blotted from the memories of the history books.

I named my fourth son after Rabbi Akiva Eiger, who was the Gadol Hador in Europe the early 1800s. He fought tirelessly in his lifetime against the influences that eventually became the Reform movement. Now THAT is a man I admire. I would put him, Rashi and perhaps Rav Moshe Feinstein at the top of my list of Jews I admire. Oh, and Sandy Koufax, too.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:34 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
While the Rambam (Maimonides) is more likely to be revered by Sephardic Jews (I'm Ashkinazi), he was surely one of the greats. He'd make my top ten list of people I admire. Spinoza - may his name be blotted from the memories of the history books.

I named my fourth son after Rabbi Akiva Eiger, who was the Gadol Hador in Europe the early 1800s. He fought tirelessly in his lifetime against the influences that eventually became the Reform movement. Now THAT is a man I admire. I would put him, Rashi and perhaps Rav Moshe Feinstein at the top of my list of Jews I admire. Oh, and Sandy Koufax, too.
Thanks, Flipflop, I will look up those people.

I hope Hank Greenberg was not offended by your leaving him out.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Thanks, Flipflop, I will look up those people.

I hope Hank Greenberg was not offended by your leaving him out.
You know, I was trying to recall Hank Greenberg's name, and I just couldn't remember it, so I "settled" for Koufax. I hope you can forgive me.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:05 PM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post

The famous Rabbi Akiva I believe was much admired by Jews. Other famous rabbis were Rabbi Hillel and Rabbi Shammai.

I think also Bar Kochava would have been admired as well Yehuda Hamaccabi.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The famous Rabbi Akiva I believe was much admired by Jews.
Agreed.

Just for clarity, these are two different "Rebbe Akiva's." One lived roughly 2,000 years ago and you will see his name mentioned in the Talmud many times, the other in the late 1700s/early 1800s (the one my son is named after).

Old 08-20-2013, 02:44 PM

864 posts, read 870,931 times
Quote:
Really? I expected that about Spinoza, but I thought that Mamonides was regarded more highly even within orthodox Judaism. I think I have seen theflipflop reference him several times..
Sorry. I misread... Moses Mendelsohn

The Rambam... aha... he was and still is revered by both Sephardic AND Ashkenazi Jews.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:46 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,787,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Sorry. I misread... Moses Mendelsohn

The Rambam... aha... he was and still is revered by both Sephardic AND Ashkenazi Jews.
That makes more sense... I was having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that an Orthodox Jew didn't have any use for Mamonides .

-NoCapo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism