Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 06:41 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times

Advertisements

I'm not Jewish but I have lived in heavily Jewish neighborhoods most of my life. I have gone to school and worked around many Jews and have had Jewish girlfriends. Somehow, though, I have never heard of this particular practice, called "kaparot", the sacrifice of chickens prior to Yom Kippur. How widespread is this practice?

Orthodox Jewish chicken-killing ritual draws protests - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 06:48 PM

864 posts, read 870,631 times
Ashkenazim all do it. I don't know about Sefardim. When I say "all" I mean those of use who keep the nitty gritty of Jewish law and tradition. The standard practice is to do it using chickens. I just "shlugged kaparos" today. My chicken cost me 8 dollars, and after I was done donated it to help feed the needy.

PETA and liberal Jews hate the practice. The former because they believe all living creatures were created equal, and the latter because it makes Jews look stupid and primitive, and it doesn't sit well with those who are trying their hardest to blend in with secular society.

I will add there are several ways to do "kaparos," but the standard tradition is to do it with a live chicken.

Have a gmar chasima tovah.

P.S. according to your link, Sefrdim also practice this custom.

Last edited by iwishiwerethin; 09-11-2013 at 06:57 PM..

Old 09-11-2013, 07:10 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:

...a number of other prominent rabbis have expressed concern that the ritual,
in which chickens are hauled into dense urban centers by the truckload, makes it
virtually impossible to adhere to the principle of "tzaar baalei chayim," which
prohibits inflicting suffering on animals.

"Crazy Chicken Lady" Makes Progress in Kapparot Fight

Old 09-11-2013, 07:23 PM

864 posts, read 870,631 times
The chickens at my place, neither cry nor sing. They just blink with deep understanding at the "B'nei Adom."

Old 09-11-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
The chickens at my place, neither cry nor sing. They just blink with deep understanding at the "B'nei Adom."
Do you kill the chicken yourself?

Old 09-12-2013, 08:51 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,712 times
I asked my Rav a shaila, and I'm not permitted to use a chicken for Kapparos since my parents and grandparents never did so. I use money instead and then donate that amount to tzedaka.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
What I've read about kapparot reminds me of voodoo.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:09 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
What I've read about kapparot reminds me of voodoo.
Keep in mind Voodoo is a hybrid religion that combines parts of Roman Catholicism, Judaism, Islam and Tradition African Religions.

Parts of it's ceremonies are taken from Judaism and other Abrahamic beliefs.

However, if you read more about Kapparot, you just may discover it has quite a legitimate history. Interesting tradition.

The Kapporat is carried to an extreme in Christian practices:

Quote:
Messiah and the Throne: Jewish Merkabah Mysticism and Early ...

books.google.com/books?isbn=3161476417
Timo Eskola - 2001 - ‎Religion
Jewish Merkabah Mysticism and Early Christian Exaltation Discourse Timo Eskola ... between the images of Jesus' blood and the Uacmipiov (Kapporat). "Sofern ...
Quote:
Jewish Merkabah Mysticism and Early Christian Exaltation Discourse Timo Eskola ... between the images of Jesus' blood and the Uacmipiov (Kapporat). "Sofern ...
SOURCE

I am neither Jewish nor Christian, but I am aware that every Christian practice is related to Judaic tradition, although sometimes misunderstood.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:13 AM

Brooklyn, NY - Kaparot Services Suspended In Borough Park After Thousands Of Chickens Suffocate In Heat

Brooklyn, NY - Kaparot Services Suspended In Borough Park After Thousands Of Chickens Suffocate In Heat -- VosIzNeias.com

Old 09-13-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Keep in mind Voodoo is a hybrid religion that combines parts of Roman Catholicism, Judaism, Islam and Tradition African Religions.

Parts of it's ceremonies are taken from Judaism and other Abrahamic beliefs.

However, if you read more about Kapparot, you just may discover it has quite a legitimate history. Interesting tradition.

The Kapporat is carried to an extreme in Christian practices:

SOURCE

I am neither Jewish nor Christian, but I am aware that every Christian practice is related to Judaic tradition, although sometimes misunderstood.
I knew Voodoo was heavily based on Catholicism and traditional African beliefs, but didn't know about the influence from Judaism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism