Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 05:00 AM

757 posts, read 1,024,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
(Now I remember why I rarely reply to these things. I put a lot of information about something deep in my heart out here on the forum. Awkward! But sincere.)
Really appreciate your sharing, it is exactly the kind of respond I'm hoping to get, sincere and positive. Thanks

Old 12-19-2013, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Not all Jewish people are successful in their careers they have chosen. Many are bi-polar, schizophrenic or other mental issues to handicapped and can't work or they are beach bums and live on the beach trying to get money or food from you. There are all types of people in this world, all colors and faiths including agnostic and atheist. Also, you can't base religion on their success because success can come in all colors and religions or people who are agnostic and atheist.
Thanks veggienut for your comment.

I wasn't equating personal success with religion or ethnicity at all. I pointed it out simply because it was an outstanding fact that I happened to know. I don't believe people who become religious for materialistic reasons. In the same token, I don't believe atheists who reject religions just to avoid personal failure. But all that is beside the point of this thread. I just want to learn more on Judaism in general and the religious experience of the believers of this particular faith.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:10 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
On Judaism and what I'm hoping to learn from this thread of mine, not much so far. I rely heavily on inputs from others.
I think you are lazy and like being spoon-fed.

I am not Jewish but I have learned a great, great deal about Judaism from reading the posts in this forum. You can learn even more if you are willing to make the effort.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:19 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,152 times
Quote:
Really appreciate your sharing, it is exactly the kind of respond I'm hoping to get, sincere and positive. Thanks
Thanks!

I think apparently we all must be different with generalizations, because I do think we are pushed a little to be successful as Jewish people. The first question I get often is "What do you do? What does your husband do"? When meeting new people.

I often think that we are encouraged to be successful and to make money so that we can share it, and pursue tzedekah, or charity, and tikkun olam, or repair of the world. The money we make is not our own; we are stewards of directing where it goes and we're expected to be responsible with it.

I also think that makes us, especially me, prone to making excuses sometimes. I work full time and go to school full time, so when someone says they never see me at temple, I hide behind the fact that I donate money and pull my financial weight. So, things aren't always perfect there.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:24 PM

864 posts, read 870,931 times
Quote:
So what it is like and what does it mean to be a person of Jewish faith both in religious sense and in everyday life?
Can you be more specific?

Old 12-20-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
I often think that we are encouraged to be successful and to make money so that we can share it, and pursue tzedekah, or charity, and tikkun olam, or repair of the world. The money we make is not our own; we are stewards of directing where it goes and we're expected to be responsible with it.
This is an interesting and noble concept of allocating resources. Is there a specific charity group or organization that oversee the progress like a trust fund or something similar? I know many Christians make regular donations to their church as well.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Can you be more specific?
Actually I try not to be specific and just leave it to individual's interpretation. There is no specific answer I'm looking for. You can tell me whatever you want to share regarding Judaism or you own experience with it. However, since you ask, I'd start with this: Is religious belief really a dominating element of the life of every believer of Judaism? If so, does one live his/her daily life according to the strict rules of Judaism? Please feel free to elaborate.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I am not Jewish but I have learned a great, great deal about Judaism from reading the posts in this forum.
Well, since you profess to be knowledgeable about Judaism, would you care to enlighten me with your learning so far? I'm quite eager to hear about it. Perhaps I could learn a few things from you. Better be good.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:45 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,035 times
Quote:
Well, since you profess to be knowledgeable about Judaism, would you care to enlighten me with your learning so far? I'm quite eager to hear about it. Perhaps I could learn a few things from you. Better be good.
I learned that if I read all of the posts in this thread, I would be shocked to learn what some Jews believe.

//www.city-data.com/forum/judai...ew-thread.html

Old 12-21-2013, 05:00 AM

Thanks hiker45 for the link. I read couple pages so far. My understanding is not so advance as to understand fully the discussion, but it sounds very interesting. The Hebrew and Yiddish terms used throughout the discussion present an obstacle to me in particular, but I'll endeavor to read through the pages and try to get some understanding out of it.

Just curious, what are the shocking bits you've learned by reading that thread. Did you read all 50 something pages?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism