Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 06:58 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
Wow, where do I start?

I am Jewish and my grandparents on both sides were fairly observant (my paternal grandfather was killed in the Holocaust). My wife (who is also Jewish) and I are not as observant as our grandparents, but we maintain our Jewish identity. I don't wear a yarmulke or "look Jewish," but I maintain my Jewish identity and try to observe as many of the tenets of the religion.

To me, being a strictly observant Jew is difficult. We keep a kosher home but we eat non kosher foods outside of the home. Hypocritical? Maybe, but we do the best we can. I work for the government and travel extensively, making difficult, if not impossible to keep kosher.

The Sabbath - Saturday. Strictly observant Jews don't drive or ride in cars and do not use electical appliances (even turning on and off the lights), as that is considered "work." Our family may attend Saturday services, but we have to drive to our conservative synagogue as it is beyond walking distance, and when we are home, we use our appliances, televisions, etc. It is a day of rest to us, although observant Jews may view us as sinners.

There are many other aspects to Judaism - the 613 commandments (248 do's and 365 do not's). We try to adhere to as many of them as possible, but for most Jews, it's nearly impossible to adhere to all of them. Here's the list. The 613 Commandments - Mitzvahs & Traditions

Then there's the anti-semitism. Because I'm in law enforcement, I have not been the subject of many slurs, although I have been told on several occasions, "You're the first Jew I've ever met." Jews are typically stereotyped, scapegoated, and victimized. Some non-Jews probably don't see this, but that's a reason why on this very City-Data website, there are many questions about Jewish neighborhoods. It's tough being the only Jew in an area, I know, I've been there.

In short, I'm Jewish, proud of it, and while it is a significant part of my life, it is not all encompassing, but my Jewish belief and values make me a better person.
Excellent post, Chaser. Sounds like you have your priorities straight. You observe where you can, and recognize the areas where you do not are still opportunities. I didn't see anywhere in your post where you attempt to say you know better than the halachos. Stick around.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:12 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,708,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
You observe where you can, and recognize the areas where you do not are still opportunities. I didn't see anywhere in your post where you attempt to say you know better than the halachos.
My wife and are committed to observe more. I retire soon, which will make it easier for us.

I know better than to say that I know better (a bit redundant) than any Jew. The Torah sets forth the tenets, it's up to the individuals as to how to interpret and apply them.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
My wife and are committed to observe more. I retire soon, which will make it easier for us.

I know better than to say that I know better (a bit redundant) than any Jew. The Torah sets forth the tenets, it's up to the individuals as to how to interpret and apply them.
Ahh, well said. You'll find here in this forum other non observant Jews who feel just like you. You'll also find those Jews who feel they can pick and choose which halacois apply to them. Those Jews will all Baptize their grandchildren.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:39 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,708,242 times
Quote:
Jews will all Baptize their grandchildren.
I know that by saying this I will contradict what I just posted, but that is ridiculous if they want their grandchildren to remain Jewish. Baptism is a Christian rite of admission and adoption.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I know that by saying this I will contradict what I just posted, but that is ridiculous if they want their grandchildren to remain Jewish. Baptism is a Christian rite of admission and adoption.
All of the data points that when a Jew loses connection to the Torah and the mitzvos, at best they are two to three generations away from no longer being Jewish at all. The recent Pew report says that 70% of Jews who married since 2000 are in interfaith marriages. Keep in mind, the Orthodox make up 10-15% of all Jews, and their intermarriage rate was shown to be 2%. Half of those intermarriages (the ones with Jewish men) will automatically have non Jewish children. The other half will bring their children up in a mixed home, many with Chrstmas trees etc, and the majority of those children will be lost, with the data showing nearly every one of them will have non Jewish children.

So it's clear there is a holocaust in the non observant Jewish world that threatens to do more damage than hitler could have ever imagined.

This link will support what I've said:

http://www.simpletoremember.com/vita...hart-graph.htm

Old 12-26-2013, 08:56 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
All of the data points that when a Jew loses connection to the Torah and the mitzvos, at best they are two to three generations away from no longer being Jewish at all. The recent Pew report says that 70% of Jews who married since 2000 are in interfaith marriages. Keep in mind, the Orthodox make up 10-15% of all Jews, and their intermarriage rate was shown to be 2%. Half of those intermarriages (the ones with Jewish men) will automatically have non Jewish children. The other half will bring their children up in a mixed home, many with Chrstmas trees etc, and the majority of those children will be lost, with the data showing nearly every one of them will have non Jewish children.

So it's clear there is a holocaust in the non observant Jewish world that threatens to do more damage than hitler could have ever imagined.
Just another set of statistics from a person who is anti-Israel as it exists and has stated in a past thread that most of the Jews deserved to die in the Holocaust.

But here is another Pew study. But keep in mind it was only based on 500 respondents.
Eight facts about Orthodox Jews from the Pew Research survey | Pew Research Center

Old 12-26-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Just another set of statistics from a person who is anti-Israel as it exists and has stated in a past thread that most of the Jews deserved to die in the Holocaust.

But here is another Pew study. But keep in mind it was only based on 500 respondents.
Eight facts about Orthodox Jews from the Pew Research survey | Pew Research Center
Thanks for posting that link again, Pruzhany. Lots of good info in it - none of which contradicts what I've said.

And just for clarity, I love the land and people of Israel, although I admit I am fairly ambivalent on the secular government in place there. One the one hand, I pray 3 times every day for the establishment of a Sanhedrin to establish Jewish law in the land of Israel. On the other hand, I'm also grateful that the current Israeli government affords all Jews the opportunity to live in the land and visit our holy sites there. That's an exact representation of my feelings on Israel (as opposed to a statement that says I'm anti-Israel. Sheesh).

With regards to the holocaust, I believe in hashgacha pratis (devine providence) - meaning that there are no random events in our lives. Again, it's a bastardization of my thoughts to say "Jews deserved to die in the holocaust." Whenever something tragic happens to the Jewish people, I believe, we are compelled to look inward and see what we can improve in ourselves, as opposed to thinking there are evil forces in the world that are impervious to the influence of Hashem.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:33 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:

With regards to the holocaust, I believe in hashgacha pratis (devine providence) - meaning that there are no random events in our lives. Again, it's a bastardization of my thoughts to say "Jews deserved to die in the holocaust." Whenever something tragic happens to the Jewish people, I believe, we are compelled to look inward and see what we can improve in ourselves, as opposed to thinking there are evil forces in the world that are impervious to the influence of Hashem.
But what you fail to realize is that most that were killed came from Eastern Europe and came from small Orthodox towns. And as you've stated in other threads Torah observant is Torah Observant. So you conflict yourself by stating that these people were not Torah Observant enough. They died thinking the words of the Torah would protect them.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:29 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
This is becoming a duplicate of the "Ask a Jew" thread. Please refer all further questions to that thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism