Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 01:05 PM

864 posts, read 871,024 times

Advertisements

Consult the professionals:

For questions about your health, ask your doctor.
For questions about finances, ask your accountant or business consultant.
For questions about law, ask your lawyer.
For questions about Jewish law, ask your Rabbi.

Answers to Critics – In LA | DivineInformation.com

Old 01-08-2014, 02:40 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking? I learn a bit of Gamara every single day. One cannot learn the entire Talmud overnight. It takes a lifetime. And if any specific questions come up, an Orthodox Jew will always ask his Rav. That's daas Torah, my friend.
Asking? So you're telling us you have absolutely no books of your own. That's impossible. How can a TOJ have no books for home reading on their own. Even if you can't afford new, there are numerous locations to buy used books.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:51 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Asking? So you're telling us you have absolutely no books of your own. That's impossible. How can a TOJ have no books for home reading on their own. Even if you can't afford new, there are numerous locations to buy used books.
Where did you get the idea that I have no sefarim? I have about a quarter of shas and plenty other sefarim. I'm just not dumb enough to think I know better than my Rav, when it comes to understanding what the Torah asks of me on important life decisions.

This could likely be a thread of its own. In my parents C shul, the rabbi has a contract and serves at the pleasure of the congregants. He's an employee. In an O shul, the shul is the Rav's shul, and congregants can decide to daven there or elsewhere. The Rav isn't an employee, he's our connection to the Torah. Two very different hashkafos. The Conswrvative version is so foreign to me and I find it terribly upsetting. I'm sure you feel the same way about our arrangement.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:35 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Consult the professionals:

For questions about your health, ask your doctor.
For questions about finances, ask your accountant or business consultant.
For questions about law, ask your lawyer.

So, why does the rabbi trump all the others?

Old 01-08-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
So, why does the rabbi trump all the others?
Because the Rabbi knows Jewish law, the law of G-d. The rules of G-d trump all others.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:47 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times
So why even mention the others?

Old 01-08-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Because the Rabbi knows Jewish law, the law of G-d. The rules of G-d trump all others.
Iwish, I'm not sure how much exposure you have to the reform and conservative movements. I have lots. In my experience , I'm shocked at the lack of respect C Jews have for their rabbeim. I have seen that reform Jews, however, often have more respect for their rabbis. Not sure what's driving the disdain for rabbis exhibited in this forum?

Old 01-08-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
So why even mention the others?
The point you missed was that when you're in a dilemma you look for the professional to answer your question.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:54 PM

Hyperion and Pruzhany, I have a question for you:

Let's say it's the morning before Kol Nidrei, and you are preparing to begin your Yom Kippur fast. Suddenly, you begin to feel feverish. It spikes to 101 degrees only 2 hours before Kol Nidrei.

Do you go ahead and cancel your fast, climb into bed and try to ride it out? Do you ask your doctor if you are well enough to fast? Or do you take some other approach?

Old 01-08-2014, 04:28 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:

Just what we needed another so-called Rabbi who's Yeshiva & business is based out of a 1600 sqft house in Monsey, NY (home city of the Satmar for those you don't know). Just loved his bio claiming 56,000 FB likes yet currently has only 6,600.

Here's one of his video's and you decide if he's really worth taking advice from.

Rabbi Yosef Mizrachi - Torah And Science A Lecture For Beginners - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism