Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 09:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,193 times

Advertisements

I'm probably being paranoid, most people I ask think I am being ridiculous but this is an interesting topic. If I have an interview with a recruiter in a field completely unrelated to Judaism (like IT or engineering or something), and I gained some transferrable skills from jobs I had working in the Jewish community, should I put those jobs on my resume? What if the recruiter happens to be anti-semitic or super Christian or something? I have enough non-Jewish jobs to fill a resume without them. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 04:02 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,522 times
Can you describe the jobs without using the word Jewish?

By the way, why would it matter if the recruiter is "super Christian"? Do you think all devout Christians have something against Jews?

Old 02-01-2014, 05:06 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
If it's valid experience, I don't see why you wouldn't use it. If a potential employer is going to hold working for a Jewish organization against you, for any reason, do you really want to work for him?

Old 02-01-2014, 07:11 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times
It's not Chrstians you should be concerned about. It's secular Jews who you should worry will discriminate against you. I'd leave it off.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:10 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
It's not Chrstians you should be concerned about. It's secular Jews who you should worry will discriminate against you. I'd leave it off.
Why would secular Jews have a problem with it? If anything, it'll make them think a little about how they're not connecting with their Jewish neshama (soul) in their everyday life.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:26 AM

352 posts, read 416,335 times
I say put it on. Always be true to yourself and don't be ashamed of what you do in the Jewish community. It would be worse if you left it off and then found the company you actually get the job with or your colleagues are antisemitic.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:09 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Why would secular Jews have a problem with it? If anything, it'll make them think a little about how they're not connecting with their Jewish neshama (soul) in their everyday life.
It's well known in the Orthodox world that non religious Jewish bosses are the hardest ones to work for. As soon as I take a second day for Rosh Hashana when he only takes one, and I take four days for Passover when he takes none, and I take 2 days for Shavous when he's never even heard of that holiday, and I fast seven times a year when he fasts only once... And all his other employees keep asking him why I observe all these holidays and he does not, and why I won't go to lunch in treif restaurants and yet he will, and why I have to leave early on Friday in the winter when he doesn't.

So two dynamics will go into play. First, his other employees will be pointing out his shortcomings, and it will bother him. Second, his Jewish nashama will begin to awaken, and since he's not accustomed to viewing the world through a Torah lense, the conflict with his behavior and what his nashama tells him he should be doing will be tough. And guess whose fault it is? Yep, that dirty little trouble maker with the yarmulke on his head.

And by the way, if you do not believe my points so far, look no further than to this very forum to see the exact same dynamic playing out.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:46 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
It's well known in the Orthodox world that non religious Jewish bosses are the hardest ones to work for. As soon as I take a second day for Rosh Hashana when he only takes one, and I take four days for Passover when he takes none, and I take 2 days for Shavous when he's never even heard of that holiday, and I fast seven times a year when he fasts only once... And all his other employees keep asking him why I observe all these holidays and he does not, and why I won't go to lunch in treif restaurants and yet he will, and why I have to leave early on Friday in the winter when he doesn't.

So two dynamics will go into play. First, his other employees will be pointing out his shortcomings, and it will bother him. Second, his Jewish nashama will begin to awaken, and since he's not accustomed to viewing the world through a Torah lense, the conflict with his behavior and what his nashama tells him he should be doing will be tough. And guess whose fault it is? Yep, that dirty little trouble maker with the yarmulke on his head.

And by the way, if you do not believe my points so far, look no further than to this very forum to see the exact same dynamic playing out.
Cultural Jew?...

Old 02-02-2014, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,193 times
I guess "super Christian" was not a good way to put it. More like, one who proselytizes and a little signal goes off in their head every time they meet someone they would like to convert.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:20 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times
Quote:

So why would you want to work at a place that makes you feel so self conscious. If you feel it will cause that much friction sounds like you would WANt that to be out in the open since day one, not an elephant in the closet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism