Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 10:09 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm Jewish and I hate Christmas because the music is SO bad. I can't go out in public from November 1st to halfway through January without listening to some corny Christmas song! Jewish music is seriously enough of a reason to convert to Judaism IMO. :P
LOL... good point! No offense to the Christians, but most of our music is much easier on the ears - aside from "dreidel dreidel," of course. I personally love Maoz Tzur (Rock of Ages) and the Kol Nidre, in addition to many original tunes our Cantor has written. And there's nothing better than seeing the whole congregation swaying, with their arms around each other, singing Hene Ma Tov or Oseh Shalom.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:08 PM

563 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Anyone find the OP's question a little wierd??
I'm jewish and I don't hate Christmas. I don't mind listening to the music or almost anything else to do with it. It is, to me, a Christian holiday. Maybe it was a pagan holiday that got 'converted" but in today's world it is the essence of a christian holiday. Its enjoyable as an outsider looking in -the same way that it would be enjoyable to be in India at a Diwali celebration. How novel! How exotic! Does it make me feel like an alien? Yes it does. But I don't hate it.
The holiday only bothers me when it actually invades into my life. Like a workplace asking us to donate a few hours of work to a Christian Store for Christmas, or Schools having Christmas parties on Chanukah, or people giving you a Merry Christmas card when they know very well that you are Jewish. Its religious insensitivity that I hate - not the Holiday

Old 12-04-2007, 05:17 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
LOL... good point! No offense to the Christians, but most of our music is much easier on the ears - aside from "dreidel dreidel," of course. I personally love Maoz Tzur (Rock of Ages) and the Kol Nidre, in addition to many original tunes our Cantor has written. And there's nothing better than seeing the whole congregation swaying, with their arms around each other, singing Hene Ma Tov or Oseh Shalom.
Hey. Now wait a minute. Obviously you guys have never heard the Elvis Christmas album.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:00 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
I'm jewish and I don't hate Christmas. I don't mind listening to the music or almost anything else to do with it. It is, to me, a Christian holiday. Maybe it was a pagan holiday that got 'converted" but in today's world it is the essence of a christian holiday. Its enjoyable as an outsider looking in -the same way that it would be enjoyable to be in India at a Diwali celebration. How novel! How exotic! Does it make me feel like an alien? Yes it does. But I don't hate it.
The holiday only bothers me when it actually invades into my life. Like a workplace asking us to donate a few hours of work to a Christian Store for Christmas, or Schools having Christmas parties on Chanukah, or people giving you a Merry Christmas card when they know very well that you are Jewish. Its religious insensitivity that I hate - not the Holiday

I understand where you are coming from. I can imagine Jews would feel kind of left out. But then again the fact remains that at least 90% of Americans observe the holiday in some form. I've actually heard some people say that it should NOT be a federal holiday. Hell, who would they get to work on Christmas.lol

Old 12-04-2007, 07:34 PM

563 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
I understand where you are coming from. I can imagine Jews would feel kind of left out. But then again the fact remains that at least 90% of Americans observe the holiday in some form. I've actually heard some people say that it should NOT be a federal holiday. Hell, who would they get to work on Christmas.lol
Did I mention feeling left out???
To summarize in case you misunderstood. Its not my holiday and I dont mind others observing it in a manner respectful of those who believe differently.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:44 PM

240 posts, read 470,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I can understand why it bothers people of other religions but they should also realize that Christmas is not founded in christian history, its a pagan celebration made over to attract pagans to join the early Catholic church.

I was happy to hear from my daughter that in her public school they teach about other religions celebrations such as Hannakuh. I think they should all be mentioned and given equal time. Being familiar with other peoples way of life can only make our children more sensitive adults.
So's Halloween, who cares! It's done for the kids, give me a break, in this screwed up world let the kids have these few childhood memories. What is the big deal. So sick of the debate of the holidays. IT'S FOR THE KIDS!

Old 12-05-2007, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Hey. Now wait a minute. Obviously you guys have never heard the Elvis Christmas album.
LOL... yeah, we've gotta love Elvis! I also love John Lennon's "War is Over" (this is Christmas), so I guess not all Christmas songs are bad.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
Amen, and I agree completely! We're not asking to be included in everything, or for Christians to stop their celebrations... but yes, a little sensitivity would be nice.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:45 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Actually I love Christmas, but I sure resent this question and they way it is posited.

So do you hate Jews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Please give valid reasons too.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:38 AM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Actually I love Christmas, but I sure resent this question and they way it is posited.
It rather struck me the same way, otr... It's really the same as asking Christians whether or not they "hate" Hanukkah.

Personally, I just don't get it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism