Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 08:41 PM

864 posts, read 870,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Not true. Reform conversion also includes Hatafat Dam Brit.
Why do they include Hatafat Dam Brit but leave out Shabbos and Kashrus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 09:17 PM

388 posts, read 384,585 times
Leave out? Reform Judaism believes in Personal Autonomy.

We're called to be learn and practice the Mitzvot. Whether people do or do not is a personal choice. The difference is that Reform Judaism does not seem to believe in rebuking people for not being as pious as others.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:35 PM

864 posts, read 870,547 times
Quote:
The difference is that Reform Judaism does not seem to believe in rebuking people for not being as pious as others.
So how do reform Jews perform the Mitzvah of Hocheach Tocheach?
Can you just explain how you decide which Mitzvos to keep and which to ignore?

Old 03-18-2014, 09:39 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,346 times
Since the Torah is the Jew's blueprint on leading a moral life, when you do something in contrast to what the Torah asks of all us Jews. Like eating treif or desecrating the Sabbath, does that mean you are intentionally choosing immorality? And are you comfortable choosing immorality as your preferred method?

Old 03-18-2014, 09:41 PM

388 posts, read 384,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
So how do reform Jews perform the Mitzvah of Hocheach Tocheach?
Can you just explain how you decide which Mitzvos to keep and which to ignore?
The only time I will perform Hocheach Tocheach is in response to Chillul Hashem (my own interpretation of it).

My decision on the Mitzvot is an ongoing cycle. If it brings me closer to Hashem, I will do it. If it does not, I won't.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:55 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikva View Post
The only time I will perform Hocheach Tocheach is in response to Chillul Hashem (my own interpretation of it).

My decision on the Mitzvot is an ongoing cycle. If it brings me closer to Hashem, I will do it. If it does not, I won't.
How do you know which mitzvos work (to bring you closer) and which ones do not? Isn't that was the Baptists call sola scriptura? You trust your own personal judgement over the Torah?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism