Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 06:17 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikva View Post
Would your Rebbe be very happy if he realized that you were posting on a non-Kosher website?
What makes a website Kosher?

Old 04-03-2014, 07:03 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
What makes a website Kosher?
These links should answer your question:

Hareidi.org's Kosher Internet - English Hareidi

War on Internet Is a Fight the Rabbis Can

Old 04-03-2014, 07:14 PM

388 posts, read 384,848 times
Threads like this should not be deleted.

Otherwise we are bound to have this happen in every thread in this forum.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:04 PM

864 posts, read 871,024 times
Quote:
Not like that would help. As iwishiwerethin has made clear, everything in Pirkei Avot only applies if you're dealing with another frum yid. If they're not a frum yid they might as well be an idol worshipper or an animal. God and his Torah said so, apparently.
Yes, He did. You have an issue with G-d. Take it up with Him. Woodrow doesn't want Pruzh and Tikva to get married .

Old 04-03-2014, 08:14 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Yes, He did. You have an issue with G-d. Take it up with Him.
I call Poe's Law on this one. Really, a fundamentalist who thinks that their god believes that the 99.98% of humanity including 96% of Jews who are not fortunate enough to be born or indoctrinated into the ultra-Orthodox community deserves to be treated like an animal or idol worshipper? Must be a troll who wants to make Orthodox Judaism look bad and get people to go off the derech and intermarry.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:32 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
You all treated me like I was less than human. And for what? I criticized your alternative Judaism. For that you treat me like a mule?

When you all apologize. I'll be back.
Actually I was wondering if you were going to call out your fellow UO on all this trash she's posting or if you have no problem with it.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:42 PM

864 posts, read 871,024 times
Quote:
I call Poe's Law on this one. Really, a fundamentalist who thinks that their god believes that the 99.98% of humanity including 96% of Jews who are not fortunate enough to be born or indoctrinated into the ultra-Orthodox community deserves to be treated like an animal or idol worshipper? Must be a troll who wants to make Orthodox Judaism look bad and get people to go off the derech and intermarry.
Now... now... don't be adding your own interpretations. Where do you get "treated like an animal or idol worshipper?" Come to think of it, animals are to be treated kindly in the Torah.

Just for the record, Orthodox Judaism doesn't look bad. Ever. You all know that. You just need to act out your guilt somewhere. I'm happy to be your punching bag.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:47 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
I looked at those two links and I still could not determine exactly what makes a web site kosher. Do you know of a web site an Orthodox Jew would consider to be kosher?

Old 04-03-2014, 09:01 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Now... now... don't be adding your own interpretations. Where do you get "treated like an animal or idol worshipper?" Come to think of it, animals are to be treated kindly in the Torah.
You know what I am talking about. I am talking about all the rules that Pirkei Avot prescribes about being a good person and treating other people well. You've made it clear when I and other posters point out that you are violating laws about ahavat yisrael (loving your fellow Jew) and against lashon hara (evil tongue / speech) that these laws only apply toward "Torah Jews".

Quote:
Just for the record, Orthodox Judaism doesn't look bad. Ever. You all know that. You just need to act out your guilt somewhere. I'm happy to be your punching bag.
Don't pull this "you all know that" when what you're saying isn't even close to being a fact. If it were, blogs like Failed Messiah, which publicize true stories about Orthodox tomfoolery, wouldn't exist.

I personally think non-Orthodox and open-minded Orthodox Jews should stop kowtowing to the ultra-Orthodox and invest the time and resources to be independent enough from them to cut them out of the Jewish family. Throw away your Artscroll books, don't buy Torah scrolls, mezuzot, and tefillin from sofrim (scribes) who are affiliated with rabbis who allow bochurim to throw stones at cars on Shabbat or who refuse to serve in the IDF, don't be a Reform rabbi who recommends a mohel who graduated from Ner Israel Rabbinical College for the bris of the son of a Reform convert! (I know the rabbi who did this)

Old 04-04-2014, 12:47 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I looked at those two links and I still could not determine exactly what makes a web site kosher. Do you know of a web site an Orthodox Jew would consider to be kosher?
Yeshiva World News - Frum Jewish News
http://www.vosizneias.com/

What makes it Kosher? Look at all the advertising, The money they pay to advertise and a piece of the action they have to pay to their sect leaders.

Compared to
http://yiddish.forward.com/
http://forward.com/

Notice what it doesn't have. Plus before the internet this was a Yiddish only newspaper and it's advertisers were modest secular ads.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 04-04-2014 at 01:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism