Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 08:45 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
Historically you name your child by using the first letter of the first name of a relative that lived a good life.
Sorry its not historically. Its common for the current generation or two. But historically is been a modernized version of a past relatives name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 08:50 PM

388 posts, read 384,932 times
Its an Ashkenazi minhag (custom) to name after a deceased relative [usually by using a name sharing the first letter].

Old 06-02-2014, 05:02 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
Historically you name your child by using the first letter of the first name of a relative that lived a good life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Sorry its not historically. Its common for the current generation or two. But historically is been a modernized version of a past relatives name.
As far as I know that it is only common with American Jews.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
As far as I know that it is only common with American Jews.
And Canadian.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:08 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
I noticied the name 'Patricia' on the girl's names list. I'm pretty sure it is Latin and means a son (or daughter) of the fatherland; a periphrastic for nobleman/woman. About as Roman and non-Jewish as you can get, I would think.

Has this name truly been widely adopted by any but the most irreligious of the Reform jews?

The same for Laura, (also Roman) refering to the Roman admiration for the laurel bush as a representation of victory.

I am not saying that these names have not been adopted by some Jewish families, but they certainly don't connote Jewish cultural themes, either.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Has these names truly been ... adopted by any but the most irreligious of the Reform jews?
Yes.

Patricia--> Batsheva (loosely) (Mostly used by Christians or American Jews who don't know any better)

Laura--> Lawrence (Mostly used by Christians or American Jews who don't know any better)

Old 06-04-2014, 07:43 PM

671 posts, read 854,427 times
I have one of the names on the list. I have three names- two are "Jewish-sounding" and the other is the one from the list.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:07 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
What ever

Old 06-07-2014, 08:41 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikva View Post
A very interesting question.

Names of Hebrew origin in your list:

Miriam (מרים)
Leah (לאה)
Rachel is the anglicized verison of Rahkhel (רחל)
Eva is the latinized version of Eve (Chava חוה) that is utilized in the "New Testament".
Rebecca is the anglicized version of Rivka (רבּקה)
Sarah (שרה)
Elizabeth is the Greek version of Elisheva (אלישבּע)

Jonathan (יונתנ)
Matthew is the greek version of the Hebrew name Matityahu (מתתיהו)
Isaac is the anglicized version of Yitzchak (יצחק)
Jacob is the anglicized version of Yaakov (יעקב)
Joseph is the latin form of the greek name Ioseph, which is derived from the Hebrew name Yosef (יוסף)
Adam (אדם)
Simon is the greek version of the Hebrew name Shimon (שמעון)
Daniel (דניאל)
Jeremy derives from the anglicized Jeremiah, which in Hebrew would be Yirmiyahu (ירמיהו)
Noah (נוח)
Moses is derived from the Hebrew name Moshe (משה)
Samuel is the anglicized version of the name Shmuel (שמואל)

Other names:
Mary -> derived from the latin translation of the New Testament (Greek). I would never name my child Mary or Maria due to its connection with Christendom.
Madeline
Martha -> derived from Aramaic (מרתא)
Laura
Linda
Patricia
Helen (connected with the Saint in Catholicism)
Diana
Alexandra
Samantha (some contest that it is a female form of Samuel (שמואל))

Peter (Greek)
Paul (original name was Saul [שאול]), the name Paul is very connected to Christendom.
Phillip (Greek)
Luke (Greek)
Timothy (Greek)
Thomas - greek form of the Aramaic name תאומא.
Arthur
Xavier
Dominic
Constantine
Ferdinand
Roger
Julius
George

Many of those names you listed that fell into "other" would not be acceptable to me due to their connection to Christianity.
I read an article last year that cautioned writers not to name their characters inappropriately, and gave as an example naming a Jewish character "Christine". LOL, you would think that would be obvious, but good advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism