Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 07:39 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times

Advertisements

I liked the perspective in this article:
Israel is held to an impossible standard - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 06:05 PM

10 posts, read 7,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Aha, so it's propaganda to say that Arabs are kidnapping, suicide bombing and lobbing rockets at Israelis. You mean it's not happening, but we're led to believe that it is.
If you watched the video, you would know what I am talking about. What incentive does an Israeli soldier, son of an Israeli general, and the victim of a Palestinian suicide bomber have that would make him want to spread Palestinian lies? I promise all of you guys, if you watch that video and check out what he is talking about, at the very least you will need to question the position that the Israeli government takes. The Israeli government does not care about it's people or about Jews. The whole world (but the United States) is upset about this. They know how negative of an image they are creating, I'm not totally sure of their incentives, but safety is not one of them, they are being intentionally provocative. But alas, most will just sit there an accuse me of propaganda and not the other way around. (Just so everyone is aware, I do read a lot of Israeli news/information, so I am aware of the media coming out of different countries and different news hubs. Israel, by far, has the worst amount of false information floating around and that usually spreads to the west, mostly the US.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I think the Palestinian refugees should forget about fighting Israel and make their future somewhere else. For example, one Palestinian I know came to America and opened a small restaurant here in Northern Virginia, and it has turned into a wonderful hangout for locals. Today is my 69th birthday, and my wife and I will soon be going there for a delicious breakfast.
Although I think the Palestinians have a right to have their land without blockades, I have to agree that the easiest solution would be to literally relocate everyone (and leave the land empty/unused). Call it a loss and just leave that place. Unfortunately though, that is not an option since there is no country that can take on that many refugee claims. Most will not be able to relocate as non-refugee immigrants, no one will take them.

Anyway, on a happier note, happy birthday!

Old 08-22-2014, 08:01 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by out_caste View Post
Although I think the Palestinians have a right to have their land without blockades, I have to agree that the easiest solution would be to literally relocate everyone (and leave the land empty/unused). Call it a loss and just leave that place. Unfortunately though, that is not an option since there is no country that can take on that many refugee claims. Most will not be able to relocate as non-refugee immigrants, no one will take them.
Do you have a clue how large in land Israels neighbors are? Jordan has more than double the land of Israel and less than half the population. Why don't you go off and research how large numerous Arab countries are how relatively small their populations are in comparison to their land.

Keep in mind this is the direction Gazans chose after 2005. They could have made a treaty with Egypt and cut all ties to Israel (no blockade, still have a seaport, still have a airport). Instead, TWO HOURS after the last Israeli was out of the Gaza Strip they started firing rockets into Israel and have not stopped since.

Lets get the basic facts down. In 1948 there was a war. In 1949 there was a ceasefire where the Arabs lost some of the land given to them per the mandate. Gaza was annexed by Egypt and the West Bank was annexed by Jordan. In 1967 the Arabs started a war again losing Gaza and the West Bank to Israel. Where on the planet has the LOSERS gotten to set the rules for the WINNERS???

Old 08-22-2014, 10:19 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,035 times
Quote:
I have to agree that the easiest solution would be to literally relocate everyone
Yeah, that would work. That is how our American ancestors dealt with the Native Americans in the early 1800's.

Trail of Tears - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, almost no one these days is proud of what our ancestors did.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Lets get the basic facts down. In 1948 there was a war. In 1949 there was a ceasefire where the Arabs lost some of the land given to them per the mandate. Gaza was annexed by Egypt and the West Bank was annexed by Jordan. In 1967 the Arabs started a war again losing Gaza and the West Bank to Israel. Where on the planet has the LOSERS gotten to set the rules for the WINNERS???
It's not really like that though, we disagree on these fundamental points. Please take a look at the lecture I posted, you will have a much better understanding of my position, and the position of people that disagree with you if you watch it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etXAm-OylQQ (information about 1947 and 1967 starts just after the 8 minute mark)

Think of it this way, it will only help you in debating and convincing others if you better understand the other side. It is a well articulated position that is similar to many Pro-Palestinian people and it comes from an individual with strong connections to the Israeli military. It's worth watching! I swear!

Do you have any videos/documentaries you like? I'm always interested in gathering more info.

Last edited by out_caste; 08-24-2014 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: Removed youtube frame

Old 08-24-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
After looking into some of these strikes (it's what got me into this in the first place) I can't see anything but a disregard for civilian lives on the part of the Israeli military. You can't take these statements from UN workers (on the ground), civilians, and journalists and then look at it any other way. The Israel military can do far better than what it is actually doing. Based on what I have read and seen, the standard the world expects of Israel is very reasonable and for the author to suggest it is not reasonable tells me he hasn't looked into the details of any of these controversial strikes.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:24 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,035 times
Quote:
After looking into some of these strikes (it's what got me into this in the first place) I can't see anything but a disregard for civilian lives on the part of the Israeli military.
I assume you cannot deny that rockets have been fired into Israel from the Gaza Strip, which is controlled by Hamas.

Simple question - How should Israel deal with these rockets?

In my opinion, Israel's actions have been very reasonable. They have used missiles and bombs to attack the leaders of Hamas and the sites where the rockets are being fired. I assume they will keep doing this until the rocket attacks stop.

The moral in all of this: If you don't like the way Israel responds to attacks, then don't attack Israel.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:25 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,421 times
Quote:
After looking into some of these strikes (it's what got me into this in the first place) I can't see anything but a disregard for civilian lives on the part of the Israeli military. You can't take these statements from UN workers (on the ground), civilians, and journalists and then look at it any other way. The Israel military can do far better than what it is actually doing. Based on what I have read and seen, the standard the world expects of Israel is very reasonable and for the author to suggest it is not reasonable tells me he hasn't looked into the details of any of these controversial strikes.
I don't know about you, but when I launch rockets at someone protecting his life is not my top priority.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:10 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post

The moral in all of this: If you don't like the way Israel responds to attacks, then don't attack Israel.
Bingo. Need another word on the subject be said? And this wisdom from a non-Jew, taboot!

Old 08-25-2014, 04:23 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Col. Richard Kemp: Israeli Pilot Aborted Gaza Strike 17 Times to Protect Civilians; Jewish People should be Proud of the State of Israel (INTERVIEW) | Jewish & Israel News Algemeiner.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism