Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 05:48 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,126,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I really like learning phrases, words, expressions in all languages, & living in NY is like a cornucopia! Yiddish is one of my favorites. Sometimes there seems to be no way to translate a particular word or phrase because of the cultural context, other times, the word or phrase becomes part of the 'translated Country's cultural context. Like the word schtick? Or chutzpah?

Or Lenny Bruce's 'schtick' on the definition of 'goyish'?:

Mr. Bruce was very controversial in his time & am sincerely hoping this doesn't offend anyone.
I saw Lenny Bruce perform before he died. Believe me, this was not at all controversial in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 06:04 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post
I saw Lenny Bruce perform before he died. Believe me, this was not at all controversial in comparison.
WOW, I wish I could've seen Lenny perform! WoW! Tell me more (maybe not here in this thread however? Don't wanna stomp all over a very nice thread.) Thanks & respect.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
WOW, I wish I could've seen Lenny perform! WoW! Tell me more (maybe not here in this thread however? Don't wanna stomp all over a very nice thread.) Thanks & respect.
It was in the Cafe Au GoGo in Greenwich Village in New York City sometime in early Spring 1964. It was not long after St. Patrick's Day, which is March 17. (Now how many times does one get to mention St. Patrick on a Jewish forum? ) He was very dirty and very funny. He even used off color Yiddish expressions. (Keeping the post on topic. ) Years later he would be imitated by others who relied mainly on sophomoric shock value to be 'funny'. Bruce was the real thing. He was just plain hilarious even when he used 'acceptable' language. As George Burns once put it (he was also Jewish) humor is about timing and delivery. Material is secondary.

Lenny Bruce was one of the inspirations for the Berkeley Free Speech movement. But too often that was all about saying 'bad words' for shock effect. It was like the Rabbi cursing. They knew the words but they didn't have the music. (See, I made the post Jewish relevant after all. )

But maybe that is enough of a digression.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:29 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
....Now how many times does one get to mention St. Patrick on a Jewish forum?

Once more....

McSorley's

Old 12-02-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Once more....

McSorley's
Great place. Have not been there for half a century. On St. Pat's singing of Danny Boy was forbidden, it not being a genuine Irish song.

Used to be men only, 'back in the day'. These days men go to bars to meet women. Back then it was to get away from women.

Definitely OT now. Better stop.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:45 PM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,132 posts, read 2,104,546 times
A Yiddish proverb - Far a ganev iz keyn shloss nishto - "for a thief, no lock is an obstacle"

Old 12-02-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Great place. Have not been there for half a century. On St. Pat's singing of Danny Boy was forbidden, it not being a genuine Irish song.

Used to be men only, 'back in the day'. These days men go to bars to meet women. Back then it was to get away from women.

Definitely OT now. Better stop.

I know. But have you ever wondered if they ever put in a second bathroom?

Old 12-03-2014, 03:29 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
I like these Yiddish sayings! Although I would have no idea how to pronounce them. There's a lot of wisdom here, I like this one:

Quote:
A Jew is 28% fear, 2% sugar & 80% chutzpah.
Yiddish Wit: List of Yiddish proverbs and sayings in Yiddish, YIVO transliteration, and English, with links to illustrations and notes

(I also really appreciate the respectful diversion! Greenwich Village in the early 60s must've been something else! You guys probably saw Bob Dylan et al perform in those days? WoW!)

Old 12-03-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
I like these Yiddish sayings! Although I would have no idea how to pronounce them. There's a lot of wisdom here, I like this one:

Yiddish Wit: List of Yiddish proverbs and sayings in Yiddish, YIVO transliteration, and English, with links to illustrations and notes

(I also really appreciate the respectful diversion! Greenwich Village in the early 60s must've been something else! You guys probably saw Bob Dylan et al perform in those days? WoW!)
Yiddish has no rules. Its letters are pronounced as if vowels don't exist. So its What You See Is What You Get just like the transliteration.

As to the Village, I only go back as far as the CBGB crowd where people watched the Ramones and I actually knew them.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:24 AM

A know it all => Kolboynick or Altsveyser
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism