Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 04:24 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,343 times

Advertisements

My neighbor is Jewish (non orthodox) and she does cover her hair, usually with a scarf, beret, or something else that is fashionable. I know other Jewish women who don't. My neighbor is older so I wonder if that has something to do with it, maybe she is more old fashioned? It is also possible my neighbor covers her hair for reasons that have nothing to do with her being Jewish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 08:56 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Do many non-orthodox Jewish women cover their hair when in public? (with a wig, tichel, etc).
My grandmother always wore a wig outside the home after she married my grandfather...Strange...

Old 01-18-2015, 09:01 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
I was asking the question out of curiosity. I live in an area where there are very few Jews (which is probably why I can't find a REAL bagel anywhere).

From what I've heard and read, a religious Jewish woman (whether orthodox or not) may cover her hair out of modesty, believing that only her husband should see it.
Nope.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:25 PM

467 posts, read 352,922 times
Orthodox, yes. Others, no.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:13 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
My neighbor is Jewish (non orthodox) and she does cover her hair, usually with a scarf, beret, or something else that is fashionable. I know other Jewish women who don't. My neighbor is older so I wonder if that has something to do with it, maybe she is more old fashioned? It is also possible my neighbor covers her hair for reasons that have nothing to do with her being Jewish.
Are you sure she's not Orthodox? There's a wide spread of what Orthodox means. Modern Orthodox men and women don't dress all too differently than the average person, just cover a bit more.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:14 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Are you sure she's not Orthodox? There's a wide spread of what Orthodox means. Modern Orthodox men and women don't dress all too differently than the average person, just cover a bit more.
I never thought she was, but it is possible.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:38 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
bumping this:

Reform and ( some) Conservative do not have the headcovering requirement like Orthodox, that doesnt mean they cant though.

Im the only one in Reform or Orthodox Synagogues around me that covers. ( the ones we visited anyway). I covered before this for Modesty. I wear a Tichel.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:20 AM

646 posts, read 465,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
bumping this:

Reform and ( some) Conservative do not have the headcovering requirement like Orthodox, that doesnt mean they cant though.

Im the only one in Reform or Orthodox Synagogues around me that covers. ( the ones we visited anyway). I covered before this for Modesty. I wear a Tichel.
Intersting. Not even one woman at the Orthodox place wore a hat or something? Wow. I only have seen that at Chabad. No dresses either at the Orthodox place you visited?

Old 12-08-2016, 06:19 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
Intersting. Not even one woman at the Orthodox place wore a hat or something? Wow. I only have seen that at Chabad. No dresses either at the Orthodox place you visited?
It is also possible that there are women who ARE wearing a wig and you don't realize it because the wigs look so natural. People frequently make that mistake. I did.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:21 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
It is also possible that there are women who ARE wearing a wig and you don't realize it because the wigs look so natural. People frequently make that mistake. I did.
There are some really well made ones i do admit but usually you can kinda of tell when you get up close. I dont recommend getting that up close and personal though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism