Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 04:01 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,863,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
I think the primary reason it's growing is because Orthodox Jews are currently breeding like rabbits.
I don't think it's that simple. Sure, that has something to do with it, but it isn't the whole picture.

The Conservative movement is dying, and doing so rather quickly. Those of us who identify with that group are starting to look at having making a decision: Are we going to be more comfortable in a Reform environment, or in an Orthodox environment?

I know that for me, the answer is the latter. Even now, I have some serious reservations with how the Conservative movement operates, particularly when it comes to halakhah; if there was a Modern Orthodox community in my area, I'd spend a fair amount of time there as it is. But if I am forced to choose before that and Reform, I'm going to go with Orthodox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 10:47 AM

938 posts, read 1,514,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
I don't think it's that simple. Sure, that has something to do with it, but it isn't the whole picture.

The Conservative movement is dying, and doing so rather quickly. Those of us who identify with that group are starting to look at having making a decision: Are we going to be more comfortable in a Reform environment, or in an Orthodox environment?

I know that for me, the answer is the latter. Even now, I have some serious reservations with how the Conservative movement operates, particularly when it comes to halakhah; if there was a Modern Orthodox community in my area, I'd spend a fair amount of time there as it is. But if I am forced to choose before that and Reform, I'm going to go with Orthodox.
There's a wide gap between the Conservative movement today, and Modern Orthodoxy. This is due to both the Conservative movement going left as well as Modern Orthodoxy going to the right. I'm not even sure if there's such a thing called Modern Orthodoxy anymore, if you compare it to what it was 50 years ago. "Modern" has become somewhat of a pejorative and a lot of Orthodox people and groups like the RCA and Young Israel consider themselves "Centrist Orthodox".

I'm hoping that Open Orthodoxy can be a viable alternative. It's hard to find an open-minded but halachically observant community that welcomes people who don't fit into one single frum mold.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:23 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,043,315 times
There is also a growing numbers of the Reform movement who moved away from the Orthodox and Conservative movement, if your not aware.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:39 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,359,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
There is also a growing numbers of the Reform movement who moved away from the Orthodox and Conservative movement, if your not aware.
That happened 3 or 4 generations ago. It's exceptionally rare that Orthodox Jews become Reform Jews in our times. Some go off the detech and become agnostic and disaffected, but becoming Reform is just too far a distance for most OTD to go to.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:20 AM

What's OTD~?

Old 05-03-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
What's OTD~?
Off the derech, ie, a Torah Obervant Jew who becomes "free" of the mitzvos.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:55 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,720,514 times
Quote:
What's OTD~?
Off The Derech (Road, Path). Depends on what's one perception is. Simply look at the 613 Mitzvot and do the best you can.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:39 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,013,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan.the.man View Post
In my lifetime Haredi Jews will make up the majority of Israelis. Israeli secular folks have a birth rate of 3 children (still exceptionally high) whereas Ultra Orthodox Jews have 7-9 on average. Even accounting for one child going OTD and one dying, they will make up a the largest portion of Israeli society. They are 25% of Israeli first graders now and only 6% of the state as a whole. Before I die (I am 21) they will form the largest segment of Israel and get elected and do what must be done. Destroy the dome, and rebuild the temple.
Ultra Orthodox make up 9.9% (750,000) of the population in Israel and also make up a huge chuck of the unemployment. It is very far-fetched for you to claim that the Ultra Orthodox will surpass the other three groups of Jews who make up 5.5 million (65%) of the population to become the largest segment of Israel and get elected. Israel welcomed 27,993 new immigrants last year and the majority weren't even Ultra Orthodox in fact most were teenagers

Last edited by Devon011; 06-14-2015 at 06:27 AM..

Old 06-14-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal Dew View Post
Ultra Orthodox make up 9.9% (750,000) of the population in Israel and also make up a huge chuck of the unemployment

I agree with you that they are a chunk of the unemployed and also this happens in the USA and they reply on donations!

Old 06-14-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I agree with you that they are a chunk of the unemployed and also this happens in the USA and they reply on donations!
Do you have any data to support this claim? MOD CUT

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 06-14-2015 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: Accusative comment deleted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism