Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 07:24 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniHaGever View Post
[/b]

1) just because there is certain restrictions on a Ger does not mean they are 100 percent Jewish it's like a non- Cohen born Jew is assur to do Nisayat Kapayim i.e Birkhat Kohenim when the Kohenim ascend to the Aron and bless the Tzibur during the repetition of the Amidah since they are non-Cohen but that does not mean the Non-Cohen is less Jewish Adebra (On the contarary). He is just 100percent Yehudi
2) Does not matter if Avraham was not present at Matan Torah himself does not change the fact that he was a Yehudi. Moreover the Erev Rav( the Egyptions who joined on to Am Yisrael during Yetizat Mitsrayim) were also present so they were not Jewish no? Come one we even also read in the Chumash Vayikra that the son of an Egyption father was sentanced to death for cursing Hashem
3) You cannot compare Gerut to the Temple since the possibility and hope that the Bet Ha Mikdash would be rebuilt and the sacrifices/offerings with it will resume is still there in Judaism and thus banning Gerut like the Syrians would be a straight up violation of Mitzvah D Oritaia(Biblical Mitzvah) and even aruguably straight up disbelief in Hashem and his Torah
Actually Abraham was Hebrew...

Old 03-23-2015, 08:46 AM

508 posts, read 888,904 times
Full of hate? Because I don't want my people diluted or watered down? I'm not the one advocating assimilation or secular logic. I think the hatred is found among those that embrace progressive values in a religious context. If you want your progressive religion then join Reform or Reconstruction Judaism. But please don't force those values down the throat of those that have chosen otherwise.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:12 AM

388 posts, read 384,624 times
I love your selective responses, it truly is entertaining.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:21 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTwila View Post
Full of hate? Because I don't want my people diluted or watered down? I'm not the one advocating assimilation or secular logic. I think the hatred is found among those that embrace progressive values in a religious context. If you want your progressive religion then join Reform or Reconstruction Judaism. But please don't force those values down the throat of those that have chosen otherwise.
Who's trying force what who?...

Old 03-23-2015, 10:57 AM

I have no power to force anyone to do anything nor would I ever want that kind of power. When you walk into an Orthodox Shul as a non-Jew and demand to be treated like a Jew, that is using force. When you walk into an Orthodox Shul and demand women get called up to Torah, that too is using force. I would never walk into a Reform Synagogue and scream about men and women sitting together. It is their right to do so. Do you see my point or are you so mired in cognitive dissonance that you are unable to do so?

Old 03-23-2015, 12:10 PM

938 posts, read 1,514,513 times
I still don't get your opposition to converts. Converts who are not marrying a Jewish partner at the time of conversion are usually more frum than Jews by Birth. I have no idea what you mean by diluting or watering down. Is this some sort of racial purity you're advocating? Personally I'd prefer Jews be spiritually pure than racially pure.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:50 PM

Of course, the aim is spiritual purity. Of course, many Jews by choice are more Frum than many Jews by birth. The reason for this is because they have to be more Frum in order to get into the tribe! Because they usually have an unquenchable thirst for all things Jewish. Yes, it is a good and positive thing. But not all good and positive things are necessarily beneficial to Judaism. The emphasis in my opinion should be to bring Jews back into the fold and in finding people that don't even know they are Jewish. Arguably, that is what some say happens when a Convert converts and I suspect there is some truth to it. My concern with respect to Conversion is not merely the abuse of the system which isn't enough to dismantle the process, but it is the fact that we don't need'em. Not to mention it is particularly cruel to aspirant Jews. Unless they go for an Orthodox conversion their Jewishness is always in question. So we should engage in collective "punishment?" No, again there is no constitutional right to become Jewish.

People in general that convert to another religion tend to be a bit eccentric and flighty. Often, there are underlying emotional and psychological reasons. Childhood abandonment, abuse, seeking a father figure, etc. Judaism isn't a self-help clinic, it's a way of life, a mentality and a whole lot more. Sure, you can derive self-help benefits from it. But why should the rest of us pay for it?

Old 03-23-2015, 01:20 PM

388 posts, read 384,624 times
Quote:
Of course, the aim is spiritual purity. Of course, many Jews by choice are more Frum than many Jews by birth. The reason for this is because they have to be more Frum in order to get into the tribe! Because they usually have an unquenchable thirst for all things Jewish. Yes, it is a good and positive thing. But not all good and positive things are necessarily beneficial to Judaism. The emphasis in my opinion should be to bring Jews back into the fold and in finding people that don't even know they are Jewish. Arguably, that is what some say happens when a Convert converts and I suspect there is some truth to it. My concern with respect to Conversion is not merely the abuse of the system which isn't enough to dismantle the process, but it is the fact that we don't need'em. Not to mention it is particularly cruel to aspirant Jews. Unless they go for an Orthodox conversion their Jewishness is always in question. So we should engage in collective "punishment?" No, again there is no constitutional right to become Jewish.

People in general that convert to another religion tend to be a bit eccentric and flighty. Often, there are underlying emotional and psychological reasons. Childhood abandonment, abuse, seeking a father figure, etc. Judaism isn't a self-help clinic, it's a way of life, a mentality and a whole lot more. Sure, you can derive self-help benefits from it. But why should the rest of us pay for it?
I could pick apart this entire tirade, but it's not worth the time considering you continue to spew garbage.

Unless you're have a degree in Psychology and are focused on research in this field, don't tell me what about personality traits of people who convert.

You are out of your effin' depth.

Back to my Abnormal Psychology research...

Old 03-23-2015, 01:33 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,125 times
Quote:
I have no power to force anyone to do anything nor would I ever want that kind of power. When you walk into an Orthodox Shul as a non-Jew and demand to be treated like a Jew, that is using force. When you walk into an Orthodox Shul and demand women get called up to Torah, that too is using force. I would never walk into a Reform Synagogue and scream about men and women sitting together. It is their right to do so. Do you see my point or are you so mired in cognitive dissonance that you are unable to do so?
Who is you?

Do you see my point?

Old 03-23-2015, 01:36 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,125 times
Quote:

I would like to know TFF's opinion on this post. I notice he's been quite quiet recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism