Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 05:09 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times

Advertisements

Such subtle Jew bashing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 08:14 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
I think I understand the thread question better because although being a Jew is strictly a race issue (which helps me understand the comments about the costumes of other races) the question is asked because some Jews do not openly display their costume even though they are Jews.

It is sort of a Jew judging Jew kinda question.
It's not a Jew judging Jew kinda question. Calling it a costume is incorrect terminology since the word itself makes someone they are not. So maybe for your realm it should be called customary clothing. So if I look at myself: In Israel I wear a Kippa. In the US and Europe I wear a hat of some sort. In the Middle East I wear a Keffiyeh. It's the custom to wear one, but there are times when one has to adjust that custom when it comes to safety. Being Jew-bashed more than once makes safety a strong concern.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:58 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
It's not a Jew judging Jew kinda question. Calling it a costume is incorrect terminology since the word itself makes someone they are not. So maybe for your realm it should be called customary clothing. So if I look at myself: In Israel I wear a Kippa. In the US and Europe I wear a hat of some sort. In the Middle East I wear a Keffiyeh. It's the custom to wear one, but there are times when one has to adjust that custom when it comes to safety. Being Jew-bashed more than once makes safety a strong concern.
I think the Jews are subtley being bashed right now...

Old 05-07-2015, 11:02 AM

1,422 posts, read 951,212 times
Quote:
Actually it is a costume - just like any other traditional garb worn by any other culture that individuals identify with being.
I don't agree with people bashing others not like them but unfortunately it seems that culturalism itself encourages that type of separatism and I don't believe the Jewish culture is exempt from such behavior itself.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:37 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,310 times
He knows perfectly well that using the word "costume" is insulting. What we have here, is either a disaffected Jew, or a non-Jewish child of intermarried parents. This guy is toxic and has only come to our forum with one agenda: to troll.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:38 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,357 times
Quote:
Do you have to wear a Keffiyeh~? If you don't, what would happen~? I ask because I know of someone who recently went to Turkey and her and her family went into their Masque (place of worship or whatever it is called). She covered her head when they went just to be polite (as her husband said). What if you don't wear the particular head covering~? Of course you'd stand out, but would they make you cover your head~?

Old 05-07-2015, 11:43 AM

318 posts, read 516,143 times
.... Should we hide our Judaism or any other ethnic &/or religious heritage?

.... If we deny our Creator before people then it stands to reason that we will be denied in turn by our Creator.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:47 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I am a little uncomfortable when I see people with outward displays of religion. I'm not saying its right, I'm just saying it makes me uncomfortable.

How do you feel when you see a Muslim woman covered up, a priest in a collar, or a nun in a habit? All of those things bother me.

My beliefs are private, and when someone flaunts theirs, it makes me feel like they think they're holier than thou.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:49 AM

22,163 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
Actually it is a costume .
the word "costume" is offensive, derogatory, insulting, and disrespectful

when a person uses the word "costume" out of ignorance, but stops using it when they understand why it is offensive, then that shows dignity and respect for another person, another culture, another human being. Why is it offensive?

For instance the Native Americans dancing at the Gathering of Nations are in regalia:

"The dance outfits worn in the circle during the Powwow are called regalia or outfits. Though highly decorative, these outfits are never referred to as "costumes". The term costume denotes artificiality and wear that is donned for an event that is not a part of one's ongoing life. To the contrary, these Native American outfits are very personal and artistic expressions of the dancers' lives, feelings, interests, family and spiritual quest. Often elements of the regalia are gifts from elders or treasured people in the dancers' lives and are honorings to be worn with pride and responsibility."

when a person willfully continues to use the word "costume" they are deliberately using it as an insult to denigrate another human being, another culture, another way of life

Old 05-07-2015, 11:57 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,014,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am a little uncomfortable when I see people with outward displays of religion. I'm not saying its right, I'm just saying it makes me uncomfortable.

How do you feel when you see a Muslim woman covered up, a priest in a collar, or a nun in a habit? All of those things bother me.

My beliefs are private, and when someone flaunts theirs, it makes me feel like they think they're holier than thou.
Me personally I don't have any issues with seeing a priest in a collar, nun in a habit or a Muslim woman covered up. Though I only see Muslim women that are covered up on a daily basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism