Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 07:04 PM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
I cannot say I am not a Jew because i don't know what a 'Jew' is and am only getting some rather conflicting data back from people who are calling themselves 'Jews'

I have issues with any human being thinking they are superior to any other human being...and I have issue with any idea of G_D 'authorizing' such behavior.
layered in with the bluster, he is asking some questions that are valid and looking beneath the surface, such as to clarify what a Jew even is and why do Jews dress in ways that stand out.

Simple definition: Under Jewish law, a Jew is someone if their mother is a Jew.

Someone saying "I'm a Jew" does not make them Jewish. Their beliefs do not determine it, nor does their attendance at shul. There are groups who "pretend" to be Jewish (such as Messianics) but these are a form of Christian outreach, it is a deceptive practice.

Does a Jew have to believe in God to be a Jew? No.
If a person is born to a woman who is a Jew, then they are Jewish.

Can a person "convert" and become a Jew? It is possible, however it is heavily discouraged. Not out of snobbery, but because it's a very hard path. Jews don't proselytize or seek converts. If someone asks to convert, they are discouraged, this is to make sure someone is doing it for sincere reasons. A person's motives determine whether they are allowed to convert.

It's interesting because they basically say what Rotagivan is saying, what ever "reason" a person gives for wanting to convert, they are told "you don't need to be a Jew to do that, you can do that without being a Jew."

A Jew wears items such as kippa, tzitzith, tefillin because he wants to follow Jewish law, which covers every facet of daily life, just like Tevye says in Fiddler on the Roof "how to eat, how to sleep, how to work, how to wear cloth" . Why do Jews bother following Jewish law? Also like Tevye says, "it shows our constant devotion to G-d." Do you lose your Jewishness if you don't follow Jewish law? No.

It's interesting Rotagivan uses the phrase G-d authorizes behavior; for a Jew it is more like God commands it. For a Jew, God commands us to do these things.

There are not very many Jews in the world, less than 0.2% of the population. It always amazes me that such a small group can cause such a large stir throughout history. And my favorite statistic (sorry to boast, that is not a Jewish quality, I am still working on my middot) Jews are only 0.2% of the world population, but 22% of Nobel Prize winners are Jewish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:

I have issues with any human being thinking they are superior to any other human being...and I have issue with any idea of G_D 'authorizing' such behavior.
The behavior G-d commands is to dress and live and behave and think and feel a certain way. But it is not out of a feeling of superiority. Rather, a Jew is commanded to be humble in thought speech and action. (that's why my boasting in the previous post is not OK).

How a Jew dresses or lives, is not a criticism of how anyone else dresses or lives.

It's like if you wear a blue shirt, and someone in a red shirt accosts you angrily on the street and says, "Rotagivan, aren't you the uppity one, think you're too good to wear a red shirt, well lah-dee-dah mister high and mighty, you think you're better than us, eh?"

Old 05-06-2015, 08:27 PM

1,422 posts, read 951,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
The behavior G-d commands is to dress and live and behave and think and feel a certain way. But it is not out of a feeling of superiority. Rather, a Jew is commanded to be humble in thought speech and action. (that's why my boasting in the previous post is not OK).

How a Jew dresses or lives, is not a criticism of how anyone else dresses or lives.

It's like if you wear a blue shirt, and someone in a red shirt accosts you angrily on the street and says, "Rotagivan, aren't you the uppity one, think you're too good to wear a red shirt, well lah-dee-dah mister high and mighty, you think you're better than us, eh?"
Its alright - I read this which explains the silliness of it all to me.

Who would be seriously bothered not to be called a 'Jew'?

Old 05-06-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:

There are not very many Jews in the world, less than 0.2% of the population. It always amazes me that such a small group can cause such a large stir throughout history. And my favorite statistic (sorry to boast, that is not a Jewish quality, I am still working on my middot) Jews are only 0.2% of the world population, but 22% of Nobel Prize winners are Jewish.
Perhaps it could be too that a great percentage of Jews are among the richest?

Have the best Jobs?

Have the best opportunities?

Certainly if they are endowed with such intelligence, they have a world of opportunity to exploit what that would provide - for the good of their idea of G_D of course.

:P

I think I am very fortunate. But that's another subject.

Last edited by Rotagivan; 05-06-2015 at 08:58 PM..

Old 05-06-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
...22% of Nobel Prize winners are Jewish.
*chuckles*

Is 'the Nobel Prize' a Hebrew tradition or simply a non Jewish celebration of human achievement? Something to boast about either way.

To be fair I think your observations are quite accurate in relation to the percentage of Jews who enjoy the benefits of secular society.

Perhaps it is not so much G-d who makes the opportunities possible, but more simply money.

Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference in the attitudes of those who have money and those who have a particular idea of what god is.

*Shrugs*

Old 05-06-2015, 09:32 PM

I think I understand the thread question better because although being a Jew is strictly a race issue (which helps me understand the comments about the costumes of other races) the question is asked because some Jews do not openly display their costume even though they are Jews.

It is sort of a Jew judging Jew kinda question.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Perhaps it is not so much G-d who makes the opportunities possible, but more simply money.
but the Jews know that money, like everything else, comes from G-d
which brings us back to why theflipflop gets his car fixed for free

Old 05-06-2015, 09:39 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,310 times
So does that mean you've answered your question and you're ready to "navigate" your way back to where you came from? <as this Jew takes off his costume to try to get a good night's sleep - morning prayers are only 8 hours away>

BTW, this Jew calls himself a Yid. Google it - there's no need for another thread.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
So does that mean you've answered your question and you're ready to "navigate" your way back to where you came from?
I cannot 'go back to where I come from'. I come from G_D and therefore am always where I 'come from'.

There is no 'going back'. I was just attracted to the thread topic because I never really knew what was meant by the word 'Jew'.

Essentially it is a race thing first and foremost and a g-d thing secondary.

A Jews costume designates their idea of god in some way, as do most other cultural costumes.

But ultimately - as I said "It is sort of a Jew judging Jew kinda question" - an in-house affair brought into the public arena.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
but the Jews know that money, like everything else, comes from G-d
which brings us back to why theflipflop gets his car fixed for free
Does it? I may have missed that bit...money usually isn't involved with the word 'free'.

So the concept of money came from g-d you believe? That is an interesting idea.

Where does the concept of sharing earths abundance sensibly, freely, equally and without cost come from?

(yes there is such a concept)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism