Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 10:14 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,533,061 times

Advertisements

Crazy Jewish Mom on Facebook

I'm not Jewish nor any religion really but I find this hilarious. Is this offensive to Jews or is it as I have found (not to be stereotypical) that you all have great senses of humor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 04:15 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,834,364 times
Jewish mothers and grandmothers are meshugah.. Although I don't know if they are any worse than Italian mothers.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:36 AM

361 posts, read 385,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Jewish mothers and grandmothers are meshugah.. Although I don't know if they are any worse than Italian mothers.

Its funny you said that. Growing up in Brooklyn (many years ago) I always thought the Jews and Italians in my neighborhood were, as far as family structure/interaction, the same people.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:19 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,665,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiettimect View Post
Its funny you said that. Growing up in Brooklyn (many years ago) I always thought the Jews and Italians in my neighborhood were, as far as family structure/interaction, the same people.

Mom is in charge?

Old 06-02-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiettimect View Post

My mother's neighbors growing up in New Jersey were traditional Sicilian people. THey would invite her and her family over for hoommaaa cuuuked mee-ulllls (trying the accent there) .. all the time.

Yeah, Jews and Italians in the East Coast have a lot in common. THey look the same, talk the same and both like Italian food. Although, you probably will not find the Italian grandmothers cooking matzah ball soup, unlike the Jewish grandmothers.. But you will find Jewish grandmothers baking lasagna and you can bet it would be damn good lasagna. Oh my East Coast Brookyn aunt and grandmother made lasagna that was so amazing, I can still taste it in my mouth to this day.

It was funny, me and my family went to an Italian restaurant for my birthday where I live. The waiter was from Calabria. He looked at my father and myself and said, "You are my people, aren't you, you are Calabrians!" I smiled and speaking a little broken Italian/English to the waiter, said, "No, I am Wannabe Italian, but actually we are Jewish". He then responded, "Ah, Jewish, we are like cousins".

Old 06-02-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
My mother's neighbors growing up in New Jersey were traditional Sicilian people. THey would invite her and her family over for hoommaaa cuuuked mee-ulllls (trying the accent there) .. all the time.

Yeah, Jews and Italians in the East Coast have a lot in common. THey look the same, talk the same and both like Italian food. Although, you probably will not find the Italian grandmothers cooking matzah ball soup, unlike the Jewish grandmothers.. But you will find Jewish grandmothers baking lasagna and you can bet it would be damn good lasagna. Oh my East Coast Brookyn aunt and grandmother made lasagna that was so amazing, I can still taste it in my mouth to this day.

It was funny, me and my family went to an Italian restaurant for my birthday where I live. The waiter was from Calabria. He looked at my father and myself and said, "You are my people, aren't you, you are Calabrians!" I smiled and speaking a little broken Italian/English to the waiter, said, "No, I am Wannabe Italian, but actually we are Jewish". He then responded, "Ah, Jewish, we are like cousins".
Interesting! I didn't realize how similar they were. I love that she calls him "Superjew" and her daughter "Spawn"! So fun! Also her use of "sperminators" is super cute. I wish I had a mom like that!
Italian or Jewish, can you adopt me?

Old 06-03-2015, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Italian or Jewish, can you adopt me?
Oy Vey , you don't know what you are getting yourself into!!

Old 06-03-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Mom is in charge?
Hi,

I think Mom is in charge in every household.

While its hard to articulate I meant how Italians/Jews in my old neighborhood treated us kids when we went over their houses and how those families got along with their parents and siblings.

When I went over an Italian or Jewish family to see a friend the parents were always so open and friendly; sincere interest in what was going on with me and my family, always offering food, proud of their heritage (but not saying it was better than others) and religious (but not saying theirs was right and you were wrong).

Insofar as intra-family ................ Jews/Italians forever getting together with family, going on vacations together, respect for elders, and mostly the ability to laugh together and take a joke.

I wish the world was like my old Brooklyn neighborhood

Old 06-03-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Tell me about it. My mother is only half Jewish................. her father. Her mother was a Scandinavian Protestant. The joke amongst my siblings is we only got the disadvantages of this union

But in any event I'm old enough to be eligible for a senior discount at most restaurants. That doesn't stop her calling every other day to remind me to:

go to the doctor;

save for the future;

eat right;

call more;

remind how hard my sister worked in college and that she got a full ride;

call Uncle Saul about his operation;

etc. etc. etc.

I offer my suffering up to the souls in purgatory to appease my Irish father.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I would risk it. I have a narcissist mother. You don't know insanity until you are raised by a narcissist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism