Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 07:44 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,740,038 times

Advertisements

Well I am glad to learn that I am not alone in my opinions regarding this matter. As the bible tells us....jk!

Quote:
People with (a) a loving heart, and (b) who truly have my best interests at heart in a "friendship", have a clue that evangelizing to a friend of another religion is out of line....Time and time again it feels like the only reason they cultivated the friendship in the first place was to "save" me which has nothing to do with liking me as a friend.
Could not have said it better myself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 01:15 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
This is about respect. Tell him how you feel. If he persists.... he's disrespecting you and your faith. If you want a friend who is disrespectful.... he's your guy. If you don't..... end the friendship.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-26-2015 at 01:40 PM..

Old 05-26-2015, 02:51 PM

If he said these bible verses once in a blue moon I could live with that, but he refers to them about a half-dozen times each time we meet up. If there is indeed some underlying motive I think that is downright insulting. As I mentioned in a previous post, I think I will slowly get away from this guy.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:12 PM

467 posts, read 352,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
If he said these bible verses once in a blue moon I could live with that, but he refers to them about a half-dozen times each time we meet up. If there is indeed some underlying motive I think that is downright insulting. As I mentioned in a previous post, I think I will slowly get away from this guy.
Probably a good call.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:23 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
I can relate. Tell your "friend" that if he wants to keep talking about his religious beliefs , you are going to stop hanging with him. You have things to talk about that you have in common, so what's his problem? You are in the drivers seat here not him. If things keep going the religious direction just tell him it isn't working out being friends. It's his choice.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:11 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:

Ahhh, going with the "southern" style, as Pruzh puts it?...

Here's how you get him to stop...Tell him you believe in JESUS...Then he will write your name and the date that he "led" you (through skull bashing you with the Christian bible) to the LORD in his bible and go on to torture another Jew...

Old 05-26-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Here's how you get him to stop...Tell him you believe in JESUS...Then he will write your name and the date that he "led" you (through skull bashing you with the Christian bible) to the LORD in his bible and go on to torture another Jew...
hahaha. Or perhaps I could tell him that I have found the Church of Satan to be a great source of personal enrichment and spiritual fulfillment and provide him with additional brochures and literature. (No insult to devil worshipers intended)

Old 05-26-2015, 07:30 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
hahaha. Or perhaps tell him that I have found the Church of Satan to be a great source of personal enrichment and spiritual fulfillment and provide him with additional brochures and literature. (No insult to devil worshipers intended)
Eh, Satan is not even an entity, so, them fools be worshipping nothing...And they don't know what Satanism is all about anyway...

Old 05-27-2015, 06:01 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
Quote:
Thank you for the advice. I think I am going to take the recommended "Southern approach" (lol!) and quietly as well as gradually end the friendship. As one poster replied, you really can't help but feel that they are secretly trying to convert you in a somewhat discreet matter. Which in truth would make them anything but a true friend.

Even if I was a secular Christian, I think hearing all these Jesus references while trying to have a fun, casual conversation in public would make me feel a bit awkward as well. Considering he knows I am Jewish, in retrospect, kind of makes the situation even more awkward and borderline insulting.
He is trying to convert you, and it would never end even if you tell him to stop. I had a friend, notice the word "had", who was always trying to convert me and no matter what I said she would find another way, something new to say or invite me to her church because something fun was going on. They can't help themselves. You can give him one chance, and if he fails at it, then end the friendship. that is what I would do.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:37 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Why not respond with a few quotes from the Torah? Then string a vew verses together and tell the firend to get on with life and invite them to the art museum or some other entertaining even..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism