Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 06:34 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I find that since I wear a yarmulke on my head at all times that Evangelicals give me a pass, and mostly tell me that they admire my dedication to my faith (they assume I walk the talk). So I don't feel all that adversarial stuff non religious Jews feel when they hear Chrstians speak about Yushke.
Even while sleeping?...Lately, I can't seem to get out of bed without covering my head and thanking HaShem for another day of life...It has quickly become habit...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
I wear my kippah as well, and most of my interactions with evangelical Christians include attempts to either "prove" their religion or to convert me.

I think location has a lot to do with it.
You live in the southern bible belt, don't you?...

Old 05-29-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
Oh, people of all faiths are always trying to stealth-convert me with phrases from their Books. I have a very rare religion. Their actions? It's out of concern. I think it's cute. I look at the person's heart. BTW goyim is an offensive term for gentiles, but surely you knew that?
So is yushke for the Christians...

Old 05-29-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Yes, bizarre. And I clearly stated that I think location has much to do with it.

While TFF has stated several times that he thinks they're our biggest ally, where I come from they're the ones who call us "Christ killers", vandalize our synagogues, and try to make Christianity a state religion.
Wow...That's going on in NC?....

Old 05-29-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
oh.....like "Americans" ?
haha...Touche, T....Touche....

Old 05-29-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Fayetteville/Fort Bragg area.
Fayetteville/Fort Bragg area????....

Old 05-29-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
"Goyim" is Hebrew for "nations." You probably already knew that. Obviously, "gentile" means the same thing. But whether one should be offended by it is a whole 'nother thing. As Tzaphkiel points out, "American" also sets barriers. In general, that's what words with definitions do. "thatguydownsouth" sets a barrier between you and all the other posters here. That's mostly good. I do not find it offensive at all.

I do not find Christians offensive in using the word "unsaved." Its use does imply a whole way of looking at things that I consider (politely) invalid and (realistically) ridiculous. But most of them do not hold it to be offensive. They, I think, actually see it as an opportunity to "save" me or some other "unsaved" soul. Nonsense, but not malice.

Likewise, some Jews, particularly orthodox, mean no offense in using the word "goy" or its plural in referring to one or more non-Jews, if there is some reason to do so.

I don't agree with S. I. Hayakawa in everything, but there is at least something to be learned from "Words don't mean; people mean."
Other words that the Christians like to apply, "non-believer", or "reprobate" or "heathen", to non-Christians...

Old 05-29-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
Interesting. Do you think that that crowd is all local, or maybe fairly strongly affected by the military?

FWIW, I spent 25 years in the USN, where I perceived almost no negative reaction to the fact that I was Jewish. Maybe none at all. However, over twenty of those years were during the time that I was completely non-observant. Atheists have it easy in the armed forces, I believe.
Hello, shipmate...

Old 05-29-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
I grew up in Asheville in a very liberal secular family surrounded by hellfire and brimstone Baptists.
It was hard to say which horrified the neighbors more, that we did not go to church, that we did not eat okra and collard greens, or that I had a black doll (my grandmother wisely sent me a different doll every year from a different country / nationality, and I looooooooooved my dolls). at any rate i was allowed to go to their homes, but their children were not allowed in our house. When immigration came to public schools, they all moved to a different part of town, as in all-white.
You mean "integration"?....My wife is from Savannah, GA and she also had to go through that integration thing...She said it was kinda odd to have just one black girl in a class of all-white pupils...

Old 05-29-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
And this is what JB stated...

"Originally Posted by JB from NC
You do realize that the Protocols was a Russian anti-Semitic ruse and never had anything to do with Jews or Judaism, right?"

And I don't think you are offended at all....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism