Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 08:25 AM

388 posts, read 384,624 times

Advertisements

LOL, calling someone you don't know 'Habibi'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 02:38 AM

145 posts, read 98,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
And here we go again with not knowing what you're typing and pulling information from Christian websites as if you've read Jewish texts.

Torah she'bi'khtav is the correct usage and is two words and not three. This is the correct transliteration of Hebrew to English for written Torah. You've mixed it up with Torah she'be'al peh which is spoken Torah. Outside of the Chumash being the book form of the Torah, you still don't know the difference. I'll give you a hint; it's two words. If you've read all the books that you've stated you've read you should know easily what the answer is.

Your usage of habibi is incorrect as I'm not yours and being a Noachide makes no difference to this topic.

To other posters in the Judaism forum: No spoilers. let him figure it for himself. TIA
פשות

תורה שבכתב- first five Books of Moses the written Torah
תורה שבעל פה- the oral Torah I.e the Mishnah and the whole rabbinic corpus I.e Talmud, Midrashim in the widest sense

I dunno why you think I am trolling and pretending to read Jewish texts obviously if I am making a topic and referring to traditional biblical commentators such as Metzudot Tzion who is my favourite biblical commentator as he explains all the complicated words in Nach Meztudot Tzion, Radak and Even Ezra(Ibn Ezra) then obviously I have read their commentaries or at least a fair amount of it

Old 06-12-2015, 04:35 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AniHaGever View Post

I dunno why you think I am trolling and pretending to read Jewish texts obviously if I am making a topic and referring to traditional biblical commentators such as Metzudot Tzion who is my favourite biblical commentator as he explains all the complicated words in Nach Meztudot Tzion, Radak and Even Ezra(Ibn Ezra) then obviously I have read their commentaries or at least a fair amount of it
Yet you still can't answer a simple question of what makes one different outside of one being the book form of the scroll version. This question is not difficult as any born Jew would know it by the time (s)he hits 3rd grade. You started this thread, so you should be able to answer it.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:21 AM

646 posts, read 464,920 times
Just wondering, are you Chassidic? I don't think that you are, but I'd be very interested to know.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:46 AM

646 posts, read 464,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan.the.man View Post
Nope. "modern" Orthodox now, drifting more observant.

Chasidism is a movement that is essentially charismatic, and all about 24/7 Torah study. I appreciate them and know that they are the best we have.

I am orthodox, national Religious (religious Zionism), but I work and received both secular (math etc) and religious education..
Not necessarily 24/7 Torah study. Just look at Chabad. Even their Rebbe didn't study Torah all day but had time to get a PhD in engineering and study other cool stuff.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
Just wondering, are you Chassidic? I don't think that you are, but I'd be very interested to know.
Nope simply a Noachide i.e non jewish

Old 06-29-2015, 08:49 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Yet you still can't answer a simple question of what makes one different outside of one being the book form of the scroll version. This question is not difficult as any born Jew would know it by the time (s)he hits 3rd grade. You started this thread, so you should be able to answer it.

We haven't forgotten and are still waiting for AniHaGever's response.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:40 AM

Quote:
We haven't forgotten and are still waiting for AniHaGever's response.
The Written Torah is written and the Oral Torah is or was rather originally oral passed down through gennerations since Har Sinai and was then codified, put into writing by the famous Tanna(Mishaniac Rabbi) R Yehuda Ha Nasi- Rebbi as affectionely called in the 220CE in the Mishnah. To which i am currently reading the well known Mishanic tractate-Pikrei Avot with the commentaries of Pinchas Kehati and the premier commentator of the Mishanh- R Ovadiah of Bartuena

Old 07-02-2015, 05:14 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AniHaGever View Post
The Written Torah is written and the Oral Torah is or was rather originally oral passed down through gennerations since Har Sinai and was then codified, put into writing by the famous Tanna(Mishaniac Rabbi) R Yehuda Ha Nasi- Rebbi as affectionely called in the 220CE in the Mishnah. To which i am currently reading the well known Mishanic tractate-Pikrei Avot with the commentaries of Pinchas Kehati and the premier commentator of the Mishanh- R Ovadiah of Bartuena
I think the question was about the difference between the Torah and the Chumash...

Old 07-02-2015, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I think the question was about the difference between the Torah and the Chumash...
If So then Chumash is just a printed copy, book form of the Written Torah that includes the Haforots(prophetic readings) corresponding to the weekly Parashiot(Torah reading portions) and will include the Aliyot( sections)and also Masoretic notes such as Karai/Ketiv- It is written it is read to elaborate words that appear in the biblical text written, but as the Masoretes pointed out in the margins should be pronounced/read in a particular manner by the reader

Torah the Sefer Torah is the written torah(five books of Moses) in scroll form which of course unlike the Printed Chumash has no voewls nor any masoretic notes that is read publicly in full the whole portion during Keriat Torah on the Shacarit for Shabbat Minchah also for Shabbat( Three Aliyot only) Shacarit for Monday and also Thursday. Not counting also Rosh Chodeshim,Yamin Tovim and for fast days such as Tisha B Av, and of course Torah in Rabbinic Judaism also refers to the oral trdaition.

This week's portion is Parasha Balak one of my favourites
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism