Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 04:57 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,133 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I am not Jewish. I try to keep informed about all religions, but I am admittedly not an expert in any.

I recently met up with a Jewish friend that I went to Middle and High School with. Back then there was a lot of camaraderie among the Jewish kids and for some reason they let me (a Chinese kid) hang out with them. But there was the Bar Mitzfa (sic) etc and the Jewish this and that. I was excluded from that.

My same friend ended up marrying this woman who converted to Judaism first. Now thirty years later, he tells me that he no longer is Jewish and wants his children to have nothing to do with Judaism. In fact, I could sense a strong sentiment against Isreal.

What is up with that?

Old 01-11-2008, 05:16 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,228,825 times
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder
Quote:
Back then there was a lot of camaraderie among the Jewish kids and for some reason they let me (a Chinese kid) hang out with them.
It's funny that you mention this because my family in Indonesia has this saying that the Chinese are the Asian Jews. With this they mean that you will find many hard-working Chinese family (thus also often rich or wealthy) setting up shops and living outside China, just like you'll find many hardworking and rich Jews all over the world (except unlike the Chinese they did not have their own country like they do now).
And it used to be that the Chinese just like the Jewish people tend to stick together and 'create' their own neighbourhoods (like China-towns) in every city that they settle.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:33 AM

91 posts, read 210,097 times
I suppose people can get disillusioned with Judaism just as they can get disillusioned with anything.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowthewhisp View Post
I suppose people can get disillusioned with Judaism just as they can get disillusioned with anything.
I can understand that. I have a friend who was brought up 7th Day Adventist and became disillusioned. But what I saw was open hostility and affirmatively shielding his kids from any aspect of Judaism.

Last edited by Bob The Builder; 01-11-2008 at 08:48 AM..

Old 01-11-2008, 08:52 AM

364 posts, read 1,978,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
I can understand that. I have a friend who was brought up 7th Day Adventist and became disillusioned. But what I saw was open hostility and affirmatively shielding his kids from any aspect of Judaism.
Again, that often happens with any religion.

Just go to the "religion" section in any book store and you will find different biographies and memoirs of people that were disillusioned with their religions.

Maybe your friend had some significant issues with Judaism. Do you know exactly what happened?

Old 01-11-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJones View Post
Again, that often happens with any religion.

Just go to the "religion" section in any book store and you will find different biographies and memoirs of people that were disillusioned with their religions.

Maybe your friend had some significant issues with Judaism. Do you know exactly what happened?
No. Not a communicative kind of guy. It is just strange that he wants his kids not to know anything about Judaism. Heck, I'm not Jewish and I would like my kids to know about that culture as well as Catholicism, Islam, Buddhism, etc.

I had another buddy who was an Atheist. He was totally opposed to children even knowing what creationism was.

I suppose some define ignorance differently. Some might say the act of learning about a religion is ignorant. Some might say not learning about religion is ignorant.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:44 PM

238 posts, read 823,740 times
Happens with religion but considering the tiny number of Jews we have in the world it's always sad to lose one! Hope he comes to his senses.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:49 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
More and more Jews are becoming reasonable about the horrible policies Israel has toward the Palestinian people. While I hope to raise my future children Jewish, there is NO WAY they would be subjected to the brainwashing of overly zealous Zionist teachings that so many of my friends are victims of.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:32 AM

364 posts, read 765,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
More and more Jews are becoming reasonable about the horrible policies Israel has toward the Palestinian people. While I hope to raise my future children Jewish, there is NO WAY they would be subjected to the brainwashing of overly zealous Zionist teachings that so many of my friends are victims of.

Zionist teachings do not they believe israel belongs to The jews? if so I agree that biblical but if they teach only jews all pales tines get out your not welcome here then I'm against

Old 01-12-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Charo

I read and a watch and I read and I even visit and I think and I listen and I read some more, but I can not sift through all the "noise". You say things like horrible policies, brainwashing, zealous Zionists. You could be absolutely right on, but I can not just simply accept these labels since the other side can simply say the opposite is true.

I'm glad that you have it all sorted out, but it looks a bit fuzzy where I sit and believe me, I spend a lot of time trying to sort it out for myself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism