Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 12:34 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,406,841 times

Advertisements

As a kid we went to both Catholic and Dutch Reformed churches, as well as whatever non-denominational church had good activities for kids.
I was always encouraged to hang out with the Jewish kids though. My mom would have been more than happy if I had brought a Jewish boy home.

Now I think all religions are ridiculous and it's terrible that people have their lives ruined because they happen to practice the "wrong" one.

Pruzhany, are you of Czech origin?

I first heard of Sukkot about 35 years ago when Mom and I headed to our favorite Jewish deli for lunch. No go ! Closed for Sukkot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 08:42 PM

32,530 posts, read 21,955,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Don't kid yourselves that anti-semitism only lives in the vast heartlands or the backwoods boonies. I live only 55 miles from downtown DC and have experienced it, in fact fairly recently. I had a painter and handyman working inside my house who I have used on several projects previously. Granted, he had never been inside my house before. Now, my ketubah is hanging in my foyer; I have a mezuzah on the front door frame; and there is a Star of David paperweight on the hall table. So the painter started telling me about the mission work he has done, the 5 churches he helped build in Africa, and oh btw, what church do I attend? I merely said that I did not attend church. (I figured that it would be pretty well evident by the previously-posted). So the next day, he asked me again, and invited me to his church - I then replied that I went to the synagogue in the nearest city when my health permitted.

Now, before he had finished that job, he had given me a quote for painting the next room, which I accepted. However, when I called him to begin the work, he refued to answer the phone, even though I left several messages. He never even called back to bother to tell me he was "too busy" - just nothing. Coincidentally, another workman who was going to install gutters on a shed for me, also refused to take any calls from me to schedule- he's a member of the same congregation as the painter/handyman. Gee, I wonder why?
That's just ignorance on their part...

Old 08-23-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
East Texas is a lot like that, I mean, I know areas like that but even in those areas, things are changing. East Texas is as racist as they come, where that black guy was dragged behind a car not too many years ago. Full of pit bull owners, and meth houses, but where East Texas may not have had a single pro Jewish person in past decades, there are tens of thousand now, and the numbers are growing because of the feasts. I had no idea how racist my family was, uncles in the kkk and such, but my own family has made a big turn around.
Now, all they have to realize is that they need to become Jews...

Old 08-23-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John2064 View Post
Check out "The 700 Club" on tv. Pat Robertson is one of the most famous/influential Christians in the world and he is highly PRO Israel and the Jewish people and so am I. The Jewish people are God's CHOSEN PEOPLE! This is from the Bible and we, as Christians, believe in Israel and will do anything(!!) to protect the HOLY LAND from the radical Islamic people who want to destroy the area from which JESUS came and saved mankind.
What???...You don't believe the Christians are spiritual Israel and that G-d has thrown the Jews in the trash can???...Wow!...You are the first one that I've seen that doesn't...

Old 08-23-2015, 09:40 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,675,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
As a kid we went to both Catholic and Dutch Reformed churches, as well as whatever non-denominational church had good activities for kids.
I was always encouraged to hang out with the Jewish kids though. My mom would have been more than happy if I had brought a Jewish boy home.

Now I think all religions are ridiculous and it's terrible that people have their lives ruined because they happen to practice the "wrong" one.

Pruzhany, are you of Czech origin?

I first heard of Sukkot about 35 years ago when Mom and I headed to our favorite Jewish deli for lunch. No go ! Closed for Sukkot!
Genetically Levant. Most commonalities are with others from the Jerusalem region (under the Ottomans it was region that went from the Mediterranean into Jordan). The Handle was chosen related to the town that had less than 100 Jewish people survive WW2 out of 10,000+. The town of today bulldozed the Jewish sector and removed all the street names to make it as if they never existed.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:56 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,675,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrekMitPfeffer View Post
Well I'm not a religious guy myself, but I sure as hell know that the rednecks out in Alabama, Mississippi, etc are racist as can be. Not sure about Texas though.
They're ignorant not racist. They don't know any so they go by old baseless stories. Jews in those states are going to be concentrated in the cities rather than in the country. Attaining education and the success from it is more important than working in an ever dwindling farming industry.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:54 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,461,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Christian fundamentalists don't just believe that of Jews and other non-Christians, they believe that of Christians who do believe as they do, especially Catholics. The KKK in its heyday (1920s-1960s) targeted blacks, Jews, and Catholics as well as Mexicans in the Southwest and immigrants where they were numerous. Anti-Semitism and anti-Catholicism, like racism against blacks, also was alive and well in many large metros in the Northeast and Great Lakes, although less common and certainly more subtle, more in the "they're nice enough, but you wouldn't want your daughter to marry one" vein.
Absolutely. When I posted what I did I had just read the post from someone cheering on the 700 Club and that sort of thing. "We support and love Israel!!!" They do support the state of Israel, but because for their own interests. I started looking into this several years ago when I received a booklet and letter in the mail from one of these Christian groups. I suppose they assumed my heritage because of my last name. Basically it said I should move to Israel as it was my right... . I researched the group and found they were a fundamentalist Christian organization. Did more research and found they, along with many other groups, believe the second coming of Christ will not happen until Jewish folks are all there. I wrote them back, told them that I support the state of Israel, that I'm also happily American and am not going anywhere. And I (somewhat) politely told them where THEY can go.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:30 AM

23,005 posts, read 10,352,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
What???...You don't believe the Christians are spiritual Israel and that G-d has thrown the Jews in the trash can???...Wow!...You are the first one that I've seen that doesn't...

WOW, that's not even close.

Out of all the Christians I know personally, NOT ONE thinks as you imagine dude. Most of ALL the Christians I know send money to Israel. NONE of them think they have replaced Israel and that's why they send money to help bring Jews back to Israel.

My family are not trying to become Jews, they support Jews.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
WOW, that's not even close.

Out of all the Christians I know personally, NOT ONE thinks as you imagine dude. Most of ALL the Christians I know send money to Israel. NONE of them think they have replaced Israel and that's why they send money to help bring Jews back to Israel.

My family are not trying to become Jews, they support Jews.
That's how a lot of them get around Isaiah chapter 56, I think, where G-d says that He will bless those Gentile who join themselves to Him through Israel, in other words converting to Judaism, they say that it is talking about spiritual Israel since G-d has rejected the Jews and replaced them with the Gentiles as His Chosen ones now...

Old 08-24-2015, 05:07 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,910,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I generally find anti-semitism runs much stronger in blue states. I wonder if the data supports that?
Nonsense.

Where is it that Jewish synagogues get bombed (such as The Temple in Georgia). Where was the only Jew who was lynched ... hint: wasn't New York or New England or Pennsylvania or Illinois or California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism