Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 07:51 PM

48 posts, read 30,948 times

Advertisements

Hello I recently found out some major things I always suspected my father was not my biological father and I finally got a DNA test and it states I was half European Jewish. My parents finally admited my mom had a one night stand before she met my father who raised me.

I am now doubly upset because from what I reasd being a half Jew I would not be accepted by Jews and I could not marry a Jew.

So I feel like I was not wanted by my original bio Jewish father and now I find out I am half Jewish and I feel the religion will not accept me . What am I suppose to do just not embrace the half Jew part of me I just found out?

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-21-2017 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: fixed title to remove "bastard"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 08:08 PM

22,183 posts, read 19,227,493 times
there is no such thing as being half Jewish.
a person is either Jewish or not Jewish.

Are you saying your biological father was Jewish? and your mother is not Jewish.
So you are not Jewish.

if you want to learn about Judaism then you can learn about Judaism.
if you decide to become Jewish you can convert.
if you don't want to become Jewish then you don't convert.

you are still you.
that has not changed.

i did not find out I was Jewish until I was almost 50. it was very upsetting to me that no one ever told me. it caused a lot of internal upheaval for me.

the more you learn about yourself and your history and your ancestors and your heritage, the more you are able to come to terms with your new knowledge, and the more strong you feel inside in terms of self-awareness and what decisions to make that are best for you.

it is not correct to say that "the religion will not accept you." jews are thrilled when people discover they have Jewish heritage. you are not Jewish under Jewish law. but you have a connection to the Jewish people, the Jewish people are very vibrant and welcoming of people seeking to learn more about your people and your heritage and your ancestry. they will love to hear your story, your discovery, you will be asked about where he lived (your father) what country what city what decade what village what names are in your family, people will be very very interested in you in a way that is sincere and genuine.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:13 PM

Well my DNA is half Jewish so my father must have been one hundred percent.

I find it funny because I always had a Jewish sense of humor love curb your enthusiasm and sienfield.

My mom that raised be is Christian and dad that raised me is Muslim and I am half Jewish.

I found out two weeks ago.

I also love Jewish delis before I found out I was half Jewish and I am attracted to Sarah Silverman.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:15 PM

I am very overwhelmed though I am not sure if you can imagine being raised by Muslim father but he never made me be Muslim I was free to choose and then find out your half Jewish.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:16 PM

I am not sure if it's a sign from God or what.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:24 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgiven1sun View Post
Well my DNA is half Jewish so my father must have been one hundred percent.

I find it funny because I always had a Jewish sense of humor love curb your enthusiasm and sienfield.

My mom that raised be is Christian and dad that raised me is Muslim and I am half Jewish.

I found out two weeks ago.

I also love Jewish delis before I found out I was half Jewish and I am attracted to Sarah Silverman.
You mean that you are half Ashkenazi...

Old 09-08-2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgiven1sun View Post
I am not sure if it's a sign from God or what.
Do you feel that since you found out that you are having feelings of obligation toward Judaism?...

Old 09-08-2017, 04:10 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,626 times
Judaism is passed down through the mother. If you mother is not Jewish then you re not Jewish. Also, I don't really like Seinfeld (haven't watched Curb). I do like vodka but I'm not Russian. I like scotch tape but I don't wear a kilt. My grandfather is from outside Warsaw, but I don't Polish my shoes. Crazy world we live in.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Judaism is passed down through the mother. If you mother is not Jewish then you re not Jewish. Also, I don't really like Seinfeld (haven't watched Curb). I do like vodka but I'm not Russian. I like scotch tape but I don't wear a kilt. My grandfather is from outside Warsaw, but I don't Polish my shoes. Crazy world we live in.
Rebbe got jokes...

Old 09-08-2017, 10:35 AM

23,162 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Judaism is passed down through the mother. If you mother is not Jewish then you re not Jewish. Also, I don't really like Seinfeld

And you wanted to be my architect?

I thought you was cool man, don't you know that real Jews have derived a pure language by only interacting with people using quotes from Seinfeld?

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism