Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 01:19 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Thanks...Next question, how is it that G-d can repent?...
The word "nacham" (repent) is used to help us understand God in our limited fashion. This is the Ibn Ezra's understanding on Gen 6:5/6
https://www.sefaria.org/Genesis.6.6?...0Ezra&lang2=en

Rashi understands it differently. Check there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 01:25 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,031,786 times
Thanks Rachel for finding that Rashi commentary. However, this part I still puzzle over:

Quote:
...it is better for Me that his heart be hardened, so that [I can] increase My signs and My wonders in him, and you will recognize My mighty deeds...
It sounds like Lord needs more suffering to fall on His people before they will pay attention to His presence? I suppose I can fathom that when one thinks of so many addicted or desolate folks who have to hit their hellish bottom before they are serious about turning away from that life.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Thanks Rachel for finding that Rashi commentary. However, this part I still puzzle over:

It sounds like Lord needs more suffering to fall on His people before they will pay attention to His presence? I suppose I can fathom that when one thinks of so many addicted or desolate folks who have to hit their hellish bottom before they are serious about turning away from that life.
The longer his heart is hardened, the more miracles God will perform and the more His people will be able to see His actions.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:46 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
The word "nacham" (repent) is used to help us understand God in our limited fashion. This is the Ibn Ezra's understanding on Gen 6:5/6
https://www.sefaria.org/Genesis.6.6?...0Ezra&lang2=en

Rashi understands it differently. Check there.
But, if G-d knows everything, then how could He possibly repent of His decision, even if His giving us free-will for us to know ourselves, He already knows what is going to happen before we do, so how does that come as a surprise to Him that causes Him to repent of His decision?...

Old 05-13-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
But, if G-d knows everything, then how could He possibly repent of His decision, even if His giving us free-will for us to know ourselves, He already knows what is going to happen before we do, so how does that come as a surprise to Him that causes Him to repent of His decision?...
It is about OUR understanding, not about his nature.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:07 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,031,786 times
In Rabbi Moshe Miller's compilation of Sages on Genesis he quotes Rabbi Eliezar as choosing 'consolation' not regret, as the way to read 6:6. Based on 6:5 that humanity is generally motivated by evil, the Holy One is 'consoled' that a few like Noah & his sons were good.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:20 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
In Rabbi Moshe Miller's compilation of Sages on Genesis he quotes Rabbi Eliezar as choosing 'consolation' not regret, as the way to read 6:6. Based on 6:5 that humanity is generally motivated by evil, the Holy One is 'consoled' that a few like Noah & his sons were good.

Was it humanity in the time of Noah that was generally motivated by evil, as opposed to humanity today? I like to think that, even though there is evil in the world, most people are decent and good.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:07 PM

623 posts, read 312,132 times
Sonof's heretical questioning was kind of interesting, even if it was obviously on the wrong forum. Not interesting enough, however, to spend much time on the "right" forum.

Last edited by ben Shunamit; 05-13-2019 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-14-2019, 05:43 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
It is about OUR understanding, not about his nature.
I had to think about that for a minute, actually, all night...The best conclusion that I can come to is that HaShem has a plan from beginning to end that includes our screwups and His disappointments in the middle, but, being omniscient, He knows that we are growing and that eventually we will mature exactly when He has planned...I mean being that He has given us free will to err but also to learn and grow...

Old 05-14-2019, 09:55 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,193 times
Quote:
They knew that their behavior was regulated but still had questions about day to day and specific applications. They knew that God wasn't a fan of slavery but that it was a reality so it was highly regulated.
Rabbi, would you be in agreement with Rabbi David Einhorn (1809-1879), who went one step further in that interpretation about biblical slavery, in that he stated that the regulation of slavery was intended to lead to the eventual end of slavery?

Here is an excerpt from Rabbi Einhorn's response to those who, during his time, defended slavery in the United States because it was in the Bible: "The question exclusively to be decided, is whether Scripture merely tolerates this institution as an evil not to be disregarded, and therefore infuses in its legislation a mild spirit gradually to lead to its dissolution, or whether it favors, approves of and justifies and sanctions it in its moral aspect?" Anti-Slavery Response of Dr. Einhorn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism