Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 02:39 PM

31 posts, read 9,796 times

Advertisements

Here's something that I've been trying to figure out. Few questions for you all:

1) You believe that the Messiah will be a human being, a political figure, correct? This Messiah will not be considered God and will not be worshiped?

2) In Judaism, is there a belief of a singular Son of Man or a singular Son of God? I don't mean son(s) of God, the way Adam, the angels, Israel, peacemakers, etc, are called sons of God, but a Being named Son of God or Son of Man that is divine, yet distinct from God in some mystical way, and one that will be worshiped?

3) Is there a difference between the title son of God and son of man in Judaism? Son of man (according to Wikipedia), "denotes mankind generally in contrast to deity or godhead, with special reference to their weakness and frailty." Son of God (again from Wikipedia), "When used by the rabbis, the term referred to Israel or to human beings in general, and not as a reference to the Jewish mashiach.[32]"

So are these titles (with regard to human beings) used interchangeably?

4) Having done some research, I was unable to find consistent information about whether or not the Book of Enoch is accepted in Jewish orthodoxy. Some say it is, but it's kept "secret." Some sources say that it's not. Can anyone here shed some light on if it is or isn't accepted as a reliable, spiritual source to reference, please?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 04:02 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker0101 View Post
Here's something that I've been trying to figure out. Few questions for you all:

1) You believe that the Messiah will be a human being, a political figure, correct? This Messiah will not be considered God and will not be worshiped?

2) In Judaism, is there a belief of a singular Son of Man or a singular Son of God? I don't mean son(s) of God, the way Adam, the angels, Israel, peacemakers, etc, are called sons of God, but a Being named Son of God or Son of Man that is divine, yet distinct from God in some mystical way, and one that will be worshiped?

3) Is there a difference between the title son of God and son of man in Judaism? Son of man (according to Wikipedia), "denotes mankind generally in contrast to deity or godhead, with special reference to their weakness and frailty." Son of God (again from Wikipedia), "When used by the rabbis, the term referred to Israel or to human beings in general, and not as a reference to the Jewish mashiach.[32]"

4) Having done some research, I was unable to find consistent information about whether or not the Book of Enoch is accepted in Jewish orthodoxy. Some say it is, but it's kept "secret." Some sources say that it's not. Can anyone here shed some light on if it is or isn't accepted as a reliable, spiritual source to reference, please?

Thanks.
Wait for the Rabbi...

Old 10-29-2018, 05:17 PM

Okay, will do. What's his username?

Old 10-29-2018, 06:34 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
Quote:

Thanks.
1. Correct, the messiah will be a man. He will reestablish the Davidic monarchy, rule as king, and then die.
2. No man will be divine, and no man will be worshiped. That would be idolatry.
3. I'll let someone better equipped answer this.
4. The Book of Enoch is not canonical.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:47 PM

623 posts, read 312,132 times
Even Wikipedia is not canonical.

AFAIK, the only rabbi posting here lately is rosends.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:57 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times
Quote:

Right -- a political/religious leader, fully human and not worshipped.

Quote:
No. We worship God. That's it.
Quote:
The term "Son of man" appears in 2 basic forms -- ben enosh which appears once in Psalms and Ben Adam which appears often, a few times in jeremiah, once in Psalms, once in Daniel and a large number of times in Ezekiel. It refers to humans or a human. The phrase "Sons of God" is a term used to refer to a variety of things (from Angels to the children of Israel and others).
Quote:
No.
Quote:
It is apocrypha, not divine or divinely inspired. Some apocrypha is useful for some historical info, but that's about it.
https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...-Apocrypha.htm

Old 10-29-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
1. Correct, the messiah will be a man. He will reestablish the Davidic monarchy, rule as king, and then die.
2. No man will be divine, and no man will be worshiped. That would be idolatry.
3. I'll let someone better equipped answer this.
4. The Book of Enoch is not canonical.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
Even Wikipedia is not canonical.

AFAIK, the only rabbi posting here lately is rosends.
Oh, I know. Definitely wasn't treating it as Gospel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Right -- a political/religious leader, fully human and not worshipped.

No. We worship God. That's it.

The term "Son of man" appears in 2 basic forms -- ben enosh which appears once in Psalms and Ben Adam which appears often, a few times in jeremiah, once in Psalms, once in Daniel and a large number of times in Ezekiel. It refers to humans or a human. The phrase "Sons of God" is a term used to refer to a variety of things (from Angels to the children of Israel and others).

No.

It is apocrypha, not divine or divinely inspired. Some apocrypha is useful for some historical info, but that's about it.
https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...-Apocrypha.htm
Thanks again for your help and for that link. If I can ask: Would you prefer I call you rosends, Rabbi or something else?

Regarding "sons of God", I have two questions:

1) In the Hebrew language, is the original word "Ben" plural or singular? Is it "sons of God" or is it a singular "son of God" that is then used in a plural sense?

2) Adam means man, but so does enosh, right? If so, where exactly is the connection between man and the word God that was used in its place in some (all?) translations?

Also, if I could please ask you two additional questions:

1) Do Jews believe in enlightenment that can take place in this world? Meaning, not knowing God in the world to come, but to some degree, knowing Him here and now, on an experiential level? Or will it always be intellectual, until one passes on?

2) Going back to the son of God reference, can you tell me what it was about the way Jesus used the term "Son of God", that made the Pharisees so angry? If every person is a son of God, why would they accuse Him of blasphemy? Does someone have the ability to use that term in a way that would imply that they were suggesting that they were God? I think this might take us right back to the Ben Adam/Enosh question.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:00 AM

More specifically, regarding question question 2 of the first set of questions: If the word Ben literally only means man (i.e. it doesn't mean God or man and God), why then is the word God used instead?

Old 10-30-2018, 02:47 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
More specifically, regarding question question 2 of the first set of questions: If the word Ben literally only means man (i.e. it doesn't mean God or man and God), why then is the word God used instead?
Ben means son...

Old 10-30-2018, 02:51 AM

My mistake. Yes, I meant Adam or Enosh, as mentioned above. If both Adam and Enosh means man, why use the translation "God?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism