Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 05:45 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Nothing wrong with taking appropriate Torah classes. Nothing wrong with familiarizing yourself with Oral Torah. And you SHOULD be learning written Torah. But learning Mishna and Gamara b’iyun (in depth) is simply not what Hashem is asking if you. Learn learn learn! But you should maybe ask your Lubavitch rebbe’s what an appropriate way/content to learn. If you decide for yourself, you’re no better than the goyim.
But that's who I'm taking my class with - the Chabad Lubavitch rabbi and/or his wife (depending on which class I'm taking). I'm assuming that they are choosing appropriate content and ways to guide us in our learning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 05:51 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Nothing wrong with taking appropriate Torah classes. Nothing wrong with familiarizing yourself with Oral Torah. And you SHOULD be learning written Torah. But learning Mishna and Gamara b’iyun (in depth) is simply not what Hashem is asking if you. Learn learn learn! But you should maybe ask your Lubavitch rebbe’s what an appropriate way/content to learn. If you decide for yourself, you’re no better than the goyim.

"...no better than the goyim"? I've noticed on this forum that you often seem to refer to gentiles as being lesser, inferior people.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I echo Rachel in NY's sentiments. (We Rachel's need to stick together!) I take a Torah class throughout the year, once a week, and it is my understanding that learning is a mitzvah. Why wouldn't you want a woman to develop a richer knowledge of our history? (I also enjoy the comraderie of the other Jewish women in my class for whom learning is also a pleasure.)

And I assure you I am meeting all my other obligations, and if a family matter needs my attention on the day I take class, I skip the class and attend to my family's needs.

*hugs* to you, Rachel976, and thanks for being so Rachely! Cheers on your Torah class with the rabbi and the rebbetzin! Yet another reason why I love Chabad so much!

Old 04-15-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob II View Post
I seem to recall having read those books. It about life in the dark ages in northern France. I can't imagine someone not liking the books. Especially people that still appear to embrace the dark ages to this day. I would imagine they would be right at home reading them.

The books are not about condoning or advocating the learning of Talmud. The books are about what life was like during that period of time. Their own mother condemned the idea of the daughters learning Talmud. She probably has her own cheering squad with some that read the books.

Right you are, Jacob! As I said previously, the books give us a fascinating glimpse into medieval Jewry. The author did a lot of research before writing these books. I felt immersed in the lives that our ancestors led, just reading these books!

Old 04-15-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
*hugs* to you, Rachel976, and thanks for being so Rachely! Cheers on your Torah class with the rabbi and the rebbetzin! Yet another reason why I love Chabad so much!
Thank you! My class is every Monday (not next week because of Pesach....but we will pick up again after), and it's a greet way to kick off the week.

And I am learning SO much. I grew up in a traditional conservative family - shabbos observers, kosher home - and had a good Jewish education, but there's so much more to learn! (And we always combine the class with a "nosh" beforehand, so there's lots of socializing too.)

And you should have seen the wonderful Purim Dinner we had. First, the Hasidik young man zoomed through the Megillah in about 20 minutes and then, a wonderful feast! The kiddies were all dressed up in their costumes, and it was such fun. I'd estimate that we had 250 people in attendance - a very uplifting turnout. I was kvelling over how well Chabad has been received in my area.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:37 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times
While I think that historically, women did not learn intensive Talmud, historically, most men did not either. Learning was not for everyone -- the masses knew the little bits they needed for daily practice. Women and men had other responsibilities and obligations. But times have changed. Now learning Talmud texts is available on all levels to all men. If times can change in this way, I see no reason why the times aren't changing in a parallel way, allowing women to learn the same material on the same intense level. In our school, one of the shiurim finished masechet Ta'anit. Co-ed.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Thank you! My class is every Monday (not next week because of Pesach....but we will pick up again after), and it's a greet way to kick off the week.

And I am learning SO much. I grew up in a traditional conservative family - shabbos observers, kosher home - and had a good Jewish education, but there's so much more to learn! (And we always combine the class with a "nosh" beforehand, so there's lots of socializing too.)

And you should have seen the wonderful Purim Dinner we had. First, the Hasidik young man zoomed through the Megillah in about 20 minutes and then, a wonderful feast! The kiddies were all dressed up in their costumes, and it was such fun. I'd estimate that we had 250 people in attendance - a very uplifting turnout. I was kvelling over how well Chabad has been received in my area.

What a wonderful community you've joined! My own congregation is having a Community Seder this Saturday. We do that every year. I'm so looking forward to it again. I'm bringing a gentile friend with me as my guest.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
While I think that historically, women did not learn intensive Talmud, historically, most men did not either. Learning was not for everyone -- the masses knew the little bits they needed for daily practice. Women and men had other responsibilities and obligations. But times have changed. Now learning Talmud texts is available on all levels to all men. If times can change in this way, I see no reason why the times aren't changing in a parallel way, allowing women to learn the same material on the same intense level. In our school, one of the shiurim finished masechet Ta'anit. Co-ed.

Thanks, Rosends, for that information! The author touches on what you said in the novels, in fact. In the Jewish families depicted, sometimes they could afford to send only one son off to study. But it seemed a point of honor among the families to have at least one son studying Talmud.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
What a wonderful community you've joined! My own congregation is having a Community Seder this Saturday. We do that every year. I'm so looking forward to it again. I'm bringing a gentile friend with me as my guest.
Yes, I've done that in the past. Growing up, we often had gentiles to the Seder (although I always warned them how long it will be).

And I like your use of "Rachely" as an adjective!

Old 04-15-2019, 07:02 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a55Q...v-bMsKWzB3T0gS

This is a brief clip from a longer animated movie about Rashi. The voice of Rashi is done by Leonard Nimoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism