U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2019, 05:34 PM

1,754 posts, read 1,456,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
He’s BT...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Mah zeh??
Baal teshuva

Old 05-29-2019, 05:47 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,488,377 times
I believe there are many paths to earning a good living, without a college degree. Yes, I have a college degree as do everyone going back many generations of my family. But I believe the chain will break with my children. I don’t want them going to those hateful places. And I feel they are like indoctrination centers of liberal arts (that was not a political statement), ideas antithetical to the Torah.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:52 PM

1,754 posts, read 1,456,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I believe there are many paths to earning a good living, without a college degree. Yes, I have a college degree as do everyone going back many generations of my family. But I believe the chain will break with my children. I don’t want them going to those hateful places. And I feel they are like indoctrination centers of liberal arts (that was not a political statement), ideas antithetical to the Torah.
I have a degree, but I earn a living with my hands as a HVAC technician. Of my four children, one is in college, one is a US Marine, one plans on going to college, and one plans on being a tradesman.

In NYC, I earn a very good living.

I think the environment found in college varies; it can be a good experience or a bad one.
If your kids are well-adjusted, confident in who they are, and have a solid foundation to build on, I think they'd do fine.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:04 PM

6,332 posts, read 1,250,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
Ah, I guessed right!

(And todah.)

Old 05-29-2019, 06:34 PM

488 posts, read 149,479 times
TFF,

I believe that your concern about colleges is well founded, but it may be based on the kind of institution that the lamestream Communist news media choose to publicize most. I do not actually know, but I believe that there are many educational institutions beyond HS level that are NOT populated primarily by the kind of people you are quite properly trying to avoid.

My advice is to decide what kind of income-producing education your children are looking for, and search accordingly.

Thomas Sowell has written at least one book on this subject. Check Amazon, or elsewhere.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:53 PM

59,955 posts, read 57,374,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
There is a lot of anti-Israel activity on many college campuses today, spurred on by claims that Israel is oppressing the Palestinians. And this translates into hatred of Jews in general. Many Jewish college students in the United States today are feeling the hostility and accusations personally directed against them.

It's not only a phenomenon on college campuses – I'm seeing a lot of online hatred directed towards Jews these days. The alt.right movement started up a thing on Twitter awhile back whereby alt-righters identify Jews by placing parentheses around their names, like this: (((Rachel))). This parentheses form of identification is kind of like a latter-day yellow Star of David.

Antisemitism is on the rise, and it's deeply disturbing.
Thanks. I was not aware of any of those things. Those of us who are not directly affected often do not see when such things are happening.

Old 05-30-2019, 12:58 AM

8,660 posts, read 9,072,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
There is a lot of anti-Israel activity on many college campuses today, spurred on by claims that Israel is oppressing the Palestinians. And this translates into hatred of Jews in general. Many Jewish college students in the United States today are feeling the hostility and accusations personally directed against them.

It's not only a phenomenon on college campuses – I'm seeing a lot of online hatred directed towards Jews these days. The alt.right movement started up a thing on Twitter awhile back whereby alt-righters identify Jews by placing parentheses around their names, like this: (((Rachel))). This parentheses form of identification is kind of like a latter-day yellow Star of David.

Antisemitism is on the rise, and it's deeply disturbing.
Very true and it's become quite a problem on college campuses today. I personally know two girls who transferred from Case Western because of feeling uncomfortable on campus. This has become a major issue and there are a lot of articles on this subject, mostly in Jewish media. It seems like today it is harder to be on a campus that has a sizable Jewish minority, rather than on a campus where there are only a handful of Jews. Most of the protests and outward anti-semitism seem to be directed at the former.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...gogue-shooting

Old 05-30-2019, 07:56 AM

1,370 posts, read 198,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thanks. I was not aware of any of those things. Those of us who are not directly affected often do not see when such things are happening.

You've welcome, MQ. And, yes, it's so true that those of us who are not directly affected often do not see when such things are happening.

I try to make friends with people of all kinds, because I want to learn about them. I've gotten the impression that you do that, too. When we increase our understanding of others, we learn and grow.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:08 AM

22,182 posts, read 25,002,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
What do you think? Are colleges safe places for outwardly-identifiable Jewish kids? Safe for their guf (physical body)? Safe for their neshama (Jewish soul)? Are there ways to still get a bachelors degree and not subject your children to the extreme hatred of Jews and Torah hashkafa (outlook) found on nearly 100% of college campuses?
What College/University did you go to? Your wife?

Old 06-03-2019, 06:27 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,488,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
What College/University did you go to? Your wife?
Big state school. Mine in particular is known as a leader in the BDS movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or