Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 11:16 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,835,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
The only mention of Yiscah is Gen 11:29
וַיִּקַּ֨ח אַבְרָ֧ם וְנָח֛וֹר לָהֶ֖ם נָשִׁ֑ים שֵׁ֤ם אֵֽשֶׁת־אַבְרָם֙ שָׂרָ֔י וְשֵׁ֤ם אֵֽשֶׁת־נָחוֹר֙ מִלְכָּ֔ה בַּת־הָרָ֥ן אֲבִֽי־מִלְכָּ֖ה וַֽאֲבִ֥י יִסְכָּֽה׃

Abram and Nahor took to themselves wives, the name of Abram’s wife being Sarai and that of Nahor’s wife Milcah, the daughter of Haran, the father of Milcah and Iscah.

The commentator Rashi explains
"This was Sarah; she was also named Jiscah (from a root meaning “”to see”, “to look”) because she could see the future by holy inspiration, and because everybody looked (gazed) at her beauty (Megillah 14a). The name Jiscah also has reference to princely dignity (נסיכות) just as the name Sarah (שרה) has an allusion to “ruling’’(שררה). "
Thanks for that information, Rosends!

@Jess: Yes, the names Jessica and Iscah are actually derived from the Hebrew name Yiscah/Yiskah (יסכה), which (as Rosends has explained) was an earlier name of the Matriarch Sarah.

The number for Yiskah is 95. A Hebrew word that shares the same gematria value as Yiskah is malkah (מלכה), meaning "queen," and this ties in with the reference to Yiskah's "princely dignity" as well as Sarah's "allusion to ruling" (quoted from above).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 11:29 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,587,075 times
This is so cool! I used to hate my name, but now I like my name.

I was born in 1989 and through the mid-eighties to mid-nineties, the name was so popular that every girl in my class had the same name. Jessica C. was me, but one year we had another Jessica C., so I was Jessica Marie... which I use now as my pen name.

Royalty. Maybe I will become publishing royalty. Haha. I'll also have to remember 95. Thanks for posting this, this exercise was neat.

Old 05-05-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
This is so cool! I used to hate my name, but now I like my name.

I was born in 1989 and through the mid-eighties to mid-nineties, the name was so popular that every girl in my class had the same name. Jessica C. was me, but one year we had another Jessica C., so I was Jessica Marie... which I use now as my pen name.

Royalty. Maybe I will become publishing royalty. Haha. I'll also have to remember 95. Thanks for posting this, this exercise was neat.
I suppose you know that your middle name is derived from the Hebrew name Miriam (מרים)? The number for Miriam is 290. When you combine the number of Yiskah (95) with the number of Miriam (290) you get 385 -- which is the number of the Shekhinah (שכינה) -- the figurative Queen and Bride of the Sabbath and (in Kabbalah) a feminine aspect of the Divine Presence.

@Rosends: Thanks in advance for any corrections/additions to the above.

Old 05-05-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I suppose you know that your middle name is derived from the Hebrew name Miriam (מרים)? The number for Miriam is 290. When you combine the number of Yiskah (95) with the number of Miriam (290) you get 385 -- which is the number of the Shekhinah (שכינה) -- the figurative Queen and Bride of the Sabbath and (in Kabbalah) a feminine aspect of the Divine Presence.

@Rosends: Thanks in advance for any corrections/additions to the above.

Sort of, kind of. Makes sense! That's really neat! I learned something new from this post. I never realized our names had numbers. Thanks for this post, Rachel.

Old 05-05-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Sort of, kind of. Makes sense! That's really neat! I learned something new from this post. I never realized our names had numbers. Thanks for this post, Rachel.
You are very welcome. Here is a present for your scrapbook.

Old 05-05-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
You are very welcome. Here is a present for your scrapbook.
Thank you! I'm going to print this out now. It's beautiful and made me verklempt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism