Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 02:04 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,013,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I did not know that about Schmeling! I take back what I said about him being a Nazi, in that case. I can see how the Nazis would have used him, though.

Thanks for the additional info, Richard!

And, I love that website you linked in your other post, "Jew or Not Jew."
They put a little levity in there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 02:52 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,266 times
I love "Jew or Not Jew". I asked them to put Daniel Pearl in there a few years ago, and they did (on his yartzheit, I believe, is when they added his name).

Check out their post on Sammy Davis, Jr. and Elizabeth Banks. I love their attitude towards converts.

I was just there today looking up the Wachowski sisters, only to find out that they are not Jewish after all.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:02 PM

108 posts, read 64,294 times
From what I have read Daniel Mendoza is considered by some to be the father of scientific boxing. Before he came up with his techniques boxing was more of a slug fest with boxers standing still and trading punches, he came up with a defensive system involving movement. I believe that some credit him with developing the Jab as well. Here are some interesting links about him:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Mendoza

Daniel Mendoza

Last edited by Maccabee36; 06-17-2019 at 05:14 PM..

Old 06-17-2019, 05:26 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee36 View Post
From what I have read Daniel Mendoza is considered by some to be the father of scientific boxing. Before he came up with his techniques boxing was more of a slug fest with boxers standing still and trading punches, he came up with a defensive system involving movement. I believe that some credit him with developing the Jab as well. Here are some interesting links about him:

Daniel Mendoza

This is the thing I found most remarkable about him: "Though he stood only 5 feet 7 inches (170 cm) and weighed only 160 pounds (73 kg), Mendoza was England's sixteenth Heavyweight Champion from 1792 to 1795..."

Wow!

Old 06-17-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
I love "Jew or Not Jew". I asked them to put Daniel Pearl in there a few years ago, and they did (on his yartzheit, I believe, is when they added his name).

Check out their post on Sammy Davis, Jr. and Elizabeth Banks. I love their attitude towards converts.

I was just there today looking up the Wachowski sisters, only to find out that they are not Jewish after all.

Are you going to put together a list, Chana? (hint, hint!)

Old 06-17-2019, 06:24 PM

65 posts, read 25,317 times
This is a great idea Rachel NY:=) I'm putting a list together, it could take a little bit. Not so sure Wiki is the best of sources.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob II View Post
This is a great idea Rachel NY:=) I'm putting a list together, it could take a little bit. Not so sure Wiki is the best of sources.

Awesome! I'll look forward to it! I've already learned a lot about famous Jewish boxers -- not just from what I looked up for my own list, but from what others here have found and posted.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:05 PM

Here's another list.

Past Presidents of Hadassah

This is by no means a complete list – it contains only four out of the many dedicated past presidents of Hadassah. I chose these four because of some fact about them that I found especially interesting.

Henrietta Szold (1860-1945): Founder of Hadassah. She had no brothers to recite the Mourner's Kaddish when her mother died, so she decided to do it herself. Her reasoning for it contributed to Conservative Judaism's eventual decision to permit women to recite the Mourners' Kaddish in public when a minyan is present.

Irma Lindheim (1886-1978): In 1922 she was the first woman in the U.S. to attend a Jewish seminary (Jewish Institute of Religion in New York City).

Miriam Freund-Rosenthal (1906-1999): Got artist Marc Chagall to create the twelve famous, stained-glass windows for the synagogue at Hadassah Medical Center in Jerusalem. Known as the "Chagall windows," each window symbolizes one of the twelve tribes of Israel.

Faye Schenk (1909-1981): Survived the hijacking of El Al Flight 219 in 1970. She was among the Jewish passengers who had been singled out from the rest of the passengers by the hijackers (members of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine). When asked about her ordeal, Schenk replied: "Life owes me nothing more. I owe life everything."

Old 06-18-2019, 01:18 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,013,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee36 View Post

Daniel Mendoza
Uppercut...

Old 06-19-2019, 05:42 PM

65 posts, read 25,317 times
Jewish-American organized crime

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish...rganized_crime

Benjamin "Bugsy" Siegel (February 28, 1906 – June 20, 1947) was an American mobster. Siegel was known as one of the most "infamous and feared gangsters of his day".Described as handsome and charismatic, he became one of the first front-page celebrity gangsters. He was also a driving force behind the development of the Las Vegas Strip. Siegel was not only influential within the Jewish mob but, like his friend and fellow gangster Meyer Lansky, he also held significant influence within the American Mafia and the largely Italian-Jewish National Crime Syndicate.

============================
I was hoping to create a list of the more famous Jewish mobsters. But I'm short on time for a long presentation. The link is interestingly historical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism