Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 02:53 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,846,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Exactly. We also tend to overlook beauty every day in favor of small complaints about everything. What we need to know about the world and the world to come is right in front of us.

So true! I'll add my thanks to Shalhevet's thanks to you for this thought -- I love the way you view things, Chana!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 04:10 PM

22,940 posts, read 10,300,058 times
The months after I converted to Judaism, I didn't have a job, had to move in with my sister, and then I got a dream job with an oil company.

I was borrowing a car from somebody for no more than two weeks, and the check I was to get after working two weeks was enormous, I had to purchase a car with that check or I would no longer have a way to work and my whole family was helping me make it to that first check.

Problem being, I had just dedicated my life to God and I was serious. I had been going around everywhere filling out forms to win a car. They had one sportscar in a mall that I just knew God was going to provide me, I had so much faith then.

I had my check and was headed home and these coincedences just kept happening, weird things, and then my car broke down, and this caused to meet somebody who was a single mother who couldn't pay her bills.

I was in such a struggle with myself at the thought of knowing that family would soon be out of power and homeless, and so I did the unthinkable.

My whole family had been supporting me for 3 weeks, just long enough to get that first check to buy a cheap car, but of course, I knew I would win a car because God was on my side and he wanted me to have a new car, especially that sportscar I spent two hours writing my name on tickets to win.

It was Sat, and I had to have a car by monday morning and here was this person needing her bills payed by Monday and I just could not help myself, I did the most terrible, irresponsible thing I could have ever done, I gave my money to that women knowing that I would win a car, I just knew it would happen, and so I knew I wouldn't need that money, God would provide.

My family was told on Sat evening and boy were they mad at me because it meant that I would lose that job. I told them over and over, '' You don't understand, I went to every place in houston raffling or giving away cars and God is going to let me win that fine sportcar and they will call any min because the givaway was that Sat.

The call never came and there I was on Sunday with my whole family angry with me, and rightfully so.

It was 11 P.M Sunday night and I had to be at work at 5 A.M.

My shame and depression were about to kill me because I was about to lose that good job, then the phone rang.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
My shame and depression were about to kill me because I was about to lose that good job, then the phone rang.

And who was on the phone? Was it about the car?

Old 06-25-2019, 04:33 PM

So the phone rings and it was like the sound of lightning to me because something inside me just knew, I knew they were from the mall, and they were going to hand over that beautiful sportcar, and just the sound of that phone ringing brought me so much pease. My sister answerd and says,'' Omg, yeah, uh huh, omg,''

Then she looked at me in shock and although I had become increasingly doubtful sunday night, I never showed it, and I just kept telling them that it was going to be ok.

I could see from the shock on my sister's face that I had won that sportcar, and I just grinned and looked back at my book.

My sister came and sat down down beside me and said,'' How did you know? She was clearly shaken because I kept telling her God would provide.

The call was from my sister's coworker, and she had just gotten a call from London. The company they worked for wanted to move my sister's friend to London and they needed her in a plane that night. She was already to go accept for what to do with her car. She had just delievered and parked it in our driveway with new tires and new stickers full of gas, and she wanted 150 dollars that we could send her at a later time.

That car wasn't a sportcar, it was an ancient Toyota lol.

It didn't seem that I had any choice in anything I had done up to that point, like I was driven to help that woman and it was going to happen for her no matter what, no matter who it was that came across her, I think God dearly loved that woman.

As weird as all those circumstances were, I was broke until the next check, and what occured during those two weeks made that car look like nothing, it was as if I owned the world.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
So the phone rings and it was like the sound of lightning to me because something inside me just knew, I knew they were from the mall, and they were going to hand over that beautiful sportcar, and just the sound of that phone ringing brought me so much pease. My sister answerd and says,'' Omg, yeah, uh huh, omg,''

Then she looked at me in shock and although I had become increasingly doubtful sunday night, I never showed it, and I just kept telling them that it was going to be ok.

I could see from the shock on my sister's face that I had won that sportcar, and I just grinned and looked back at my book.

My sister came and sat down down beside me and said,'' How did you know? She was clearly shaken because I kept telling her God would provide.

The call was from my sister's coworker, and she had just gotten a call from London. The company they worked for wanted to move my sister's friend to London and they needed her in a plane that night. She was already to go accept for what to do with her car. She had just delievered and parked it in our driveway with new tires and new stickers full of gas, and she wanted 150 dollars that we could send her at a later time.

That car wasn't a sportcar, it was an ancient Toyota lol.

It didn't seem that I had any choice in anything I had done up to that point, like I was driven to help that woman and it was going to happen for her no matter what, no matter who it was that came across her, I think God dearly loved that woman.

As weird as all those circumstances were, I was broke until the next check, and what occured during those two weeks made that car look like nothing, it was as if I owned the world.

Haha! I love that twist to your story! You still got a car AND you helped someone in need!

Old 06-25-2019, 05:47 PM

It was a miracle getting that job, and that ugly car. I was in a steel workers union, about 100 to 150 employees building oil rigs on a production line, the whole warehouse buzzing with noise.

New to the job a couple months, I pull in and see the different groups here and there drinking coffee and everyone stops talking and they watch me as I walk to my station. The machines start up, everyone at work, the intercom comes on and says I should come to the office.

One of the coworkers had told my boss that he saw me going through other coworkers cars and that is a very personal betrayal at a job, I was so angry, and then I knew why everyone was watching me.

I open the door after being fired and as it was planned, all the machines stopped and silence ensued as I walked slowly past all the angry faces down a very long path, people spitting on the floor, me spitting back.

Things continued this way until I was completely broken, and it was a gift better than any other gift because after each encounter, I learned that I had no control, but no matter what happens, I am going to come out stronger in my faith, and where there was anger against those who had falsley accused me, there was only forgiveness and thankfulness that they had done so, it was like being handed the key of happiness because I knew God had a hand in all of it, and he must have wanted to break me.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Things continued this way until I was completely broken, and it was a gift better than any other gift because after each encounter, I learned that I had no control, but no matter what happens, I am going to come out stronger in my faith, and where there was anger against those who had falsley accused me, there was only forgiveness and thankfulness that they had done so, it was like being handed the key of happiness because I knew God had a hand in all of it, and he must have wanted to break me.

I agree that was the best gift of all!

Old 06-26-2019, 01:26 PM

Wow, it seems like I recieved a gift today while writing that last post. I have been needing several surgeries for a year now, but I could never come up with the added co-pay. My doctor just suddenly called and said he was going to wave all the co-pays, and of course, my doctors are all Jewish lol.

Anyway, I just got back from surgery and so much has changed today, I was certain I was about to lose my nose and half my face, but it wasn't that way at all. Imagine going around for months thinking you would soon lose the skin off your nose, it's overbearing. I feel like such a big weight has been taken from me because of the generosity and gift from a Jew, a gift that is going to continue, and the way I see it, it was God in him that decided to call in the first place, I feel like I have been saved from a very bad fate.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Wow, it seems like I recieved a gift today while writing that last post. I have been needing several surgeries for a year now, but I could never come up with the added co-pay. My doctor just suddenly called and said he was going to wave all the co-pays, and of course, my doctors are all Jewish lol.

Anyway, I just got back from surgery and so much has changed today, I was certain I was about to lose my nose and half my face, but it wasn't that way at all. Imagine going around for months thinking you would soon lose the skin off your nose, it's overbearing. I feel like such a big weight has been taken from me because of the generosity and gift from a Jew, a gift that is going to continue, and the way I see it, it was God in him that decided to call in the first place, I feel like I have been saved from a very bad fate.

That made my day, reading that!

Old 06-26-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
That made my day, reading that!
Thanks, those are the exact words that the doctor said,'' Joel, you are the craziest most spiritual person we know, and you make our day, make sure and stay crazy.''

Really, that is what they said lol, that Jewish doctor is an artist and he and i had a talk one day while looking at a painting, which by the way, completely freaked him out.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 06-26-2019 at 04:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism