Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2019, 08:07 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,193 times

Advertisements

In this age of BDS, it's encouraging to see that Amazon is forging ahead with their plans to do business with Israel.
Here is an excerpt from a news article that appeared three days ago on the Israeli business news site, Globes.com:

Quote:
Global online retailing giant Amazon is nearing its Israel launch: the company is gearing up for launching its local, Hebrew-language website, and is engaged in a massive campaign to recruit sellers, with the aim of going online within weeks. Local sellers hope that Amazon will start to operate the Hebrew site close to its annual shopping festival, Prime Day, which will take place on July 15 and 16, but a more realistic assessment is that the launch will take place in August, during the run-up to the start of the new school year and the Jewish holiday season, when retail activity in Israel is at its peak.
You can read the entire article at this link:
https://en.globes.co.il/en/article-a...eks-1001291289

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 08:26 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
AFAICT BDS is having minimal impact on large businesses (I do sympathize with Israeli academics and artists who appear to be more impacted than Israeli business)

Old 07-01-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
AFAICT BDS is having minimal impact on large businesses (I do sympathize with Israeli academics and artists who appear to be more impacted than Israeli business)
Israel's economy can withstand BDS, as Israel has been dealing with (and circumventing) Arab boycotts ever since it declared independence. BDS isn't about using economic leverage to get Israel to change any of its policies – it's about turning the world against Israel in order to destroy Israel completely. Which has always been the endgame of those who have organized the BDS movement.

By investing in Israel to the extent that Amazon has committed itself, Amazon is doing much more for Israel than merely bringing business to it.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:31 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Israel's economy can withstand BDS, as Israel has been dealing with (and circumventing) Arab boycotts ever since it declared independence. BDS isn't about using economic leverage to get Israel to change any of its policies – it's about turning the world against Israel in order to destroy Israel completely. Which has always been the endgame of those who have organized the BDS movement.

I agree most in the BDS movement want to destroy Israel, not change its policies. I am not sure though that there is some plan by them for doing that that is not focused on economic harm as a means.

So if its not actually harming the Israeli economy (and as I said, it appears to have minimal impact) then its not going to reach its aims. It DOES harm some of the best and most progressive people in Israeli society, and that is more than enough reason to fight BDS IMO.

I will speak against BDS. I will go out of my way to buy Israeli products. I will NOT obsess about BDS as the main threat to a Jewish democratic Israel though. Indeed that obession, in its attempt to paint a picture of a hostile, antisemitic world, is I think, part of tendencies that are more dangerous to a Jewish democratic Israel.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I agree most in the BDS movement want to destroy Israel, not change its policies. I am not sure though that there is some plan by them for doing that that is not focused on economic harm as a means.
BDS relies more on a strategy of propaganda than it does on a strategy of economics, and (as I've already stated) the ultimate goal of the founders of BDS is the abolishment of Israel.

I don't really want to get into politics on this forum, but it's difficult to entirely avoid when giving some background history on the BDS movement. The name Omar Barghouti should be familiar to every Jew, not only because he is one of the founders of, and the driving force behind, the BDS movement, but also because for a very long time he has been calling for a Palestinian single-state solution that would put an end to Israel. In 2007, through the cyberpropaganda website called The Electronic Intifada, a manifesto titled "The One State Declaration" was published and Barghouti's name appears at the head of the list of its signed promoters. This was the same year in which the BDS movement was established – again, with Barghouti and company masterminding the strategy.

Wars are often fought and won through the use of propaganda. I would not be so complacent as to underestimate how the BDS movement works to make its objectives attractive to those who are naive and eager to leap to the defense of a perceived underdog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism