Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 07:33 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,852,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm neither Jewish nor a kid, and some of these books sound like a fun read.

Reminds me of the old advertising slogan: "You don't have to be Jewish to love Levy's!"

Well, you don't have to be Jewish or a kid to love these books!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 10:43 PM

11,597 posts, read 12,633,715 times
Patricia Polacco wrote a number of Jewish themed books for young children

For upper elementary, middle school students, you would need practically an entire forum with subforum categories to list them all.

Old 11-30-2019, 06:41 PM

Hereville by Barry Deutsch, is a wonderful series of graphic novels that are kind of like The Adventures of Rabbi Harvey (see a previous post of mine in this thread), but these feature an eleven-year-old Orthodox Jewish heroine named Mirka. (For those interested in traditional Jewish names, Mirka is a Yiddish diminutive of the Hebrew name Miriam. Mirka's mother in the novels sometimes calls her Mirkela, which is a name of endearment for Mirka/Miriam.)

I've read all three graphic novels in the Hereville series, and found them highly entertaining. (Yes, adults can enjoy these novels, too!) They mix fantasy with humor while at the same time keeping the characters of Mirka and her big family very Jewish.

Deutsch uses many Yiddish words and expressions in the novels (with English translations included in the footnotes on each page). He also stops the action in the middle of each story when it's Shabbos and the characters pause for the weekly observance. Despite some criticism about this "slowing down" the pace of the story, Deutsch remained steadfast in doing this. By the third novel, the young reader can see not only the importance of why we pause to observe Shabbos, but also how integral this was to the plot. (I'm not giving away any spoilers.)

The graphic novels in order of publication are:

#1 Hereville: How Mirka Got Her Sword
#2 Hereville: How Mirka Met a Meteorite
#3 Hereville: How Mirka Caught a Fish

You can find them on Amazon.com -- I loved them all, but How Mirka Caught a Fish was my favorite! Not surprisingly, in 2016 this book won a Sydney Taylor Book Award Honor Medal. The Sydney Taylor Book Awards annually recognize outstanding books of positive Jewish content for children.

Old 12-09-2019, 11:26 PM

243 posts, read 101,231 times
Yes,” The Mouse In the Matzah factory” is cute and a good story . I also loved “ The Mensch on a bench”. My husband got me that one last year, about this time, since it’s Hanukkah themed.
He got me the set with Moshe the mensch, a sweet , lovable character. ArtScroll has a lot of good childrens books also. I , not being Jewish yet, learn a lot from children and young adults books also
The American Girl doll company has a Rebecca” doll from 1914 . Her family came from Russia and are living on the lower East side in NYC. It tells children about life in that era , especially what Jews faced , living there.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:19 PM

11,597 posts, read 12,633,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin mouse View Post
Yes,” The Mouse In the Matzah factory” is cute and a good story . I also loved “ The Mensch on a bench”. My husband got me that one last year, about this time, since it’s Hanukkah themed.
He got me the set with Moshe the mensch, a sweet , lovable character. ArtScroll has a lot of good childrens books also. I , not being Jewish yet, learn a lot from children and young adults books also
The American Girl doll company has a Rebecca” doll from 1914 . Her family came from Russia and are living on the lower East side in NYC. It tells children about life in that era , especially what Jews faced , living there.
More authentic than the American Girl Doll, Rebecca, read Sydney Taylor's All of a Kind Family series.

Old 12-10-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
More authentic than the American Girl Doll, Rebecca, read Sydney Taylor's All of a Kind Family series.

When I was a kid and I started reading the very first chapter of the first book in the series, where the five, neatly dressed-alike sisters (Ella age 12, Henny age 10, Sarah age 8, Charlotte age 6, and Gertie age 4) go to the public library, I was absolutely entranced. Wonderful stories about Jewish family life in New York City in the early 1900s!

Old 12-10-2019, 07:54 PM

Wow, thanks for telling me about that book series. I ordered it, so I can read it first, then donate it to the local library with some other books I got for them.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:04 PM

There’s another graphic comic book by Art Spiegelman, called Maus. It’s sad. https://books.google.com/books/about...d=am2PXS60sy8C

Old 12-10-2019, 08:19 PM

T th here’s salso a book I read this Dummer called “ The hired girl” by Laura Amy Schlitz. It’s about a girl who goes to live with a Jewish family in Baltimore in the 1900s. It’s very touching https://www.google.com/search?q=the+...JSA-NtjX_CQ-5M

Old 12-11-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Wow, thanks for telling me about that book series. I ordered it, so I can read it first, then donate it to the local library with some other books I got for them.
That's a really nice way to pass along books so that others can enjoy them too! Well done, Pumpkin!

Quote:
There’s another graphic comic book by Art Spiegelman, called Maus. It’s sad. https://books.google.com/books/about...d=am2PXS60sy8C
I think that may have been the inspiration for the more "family friendly" American Tail animated movies, which also depicted mice as Jews and cats as their oppressors. Spiegelman's Maus is far superior, IMO.

Quote:
T th here’s salso a book I read this Dummer called “ The hired girl” by Laura Amy Schlitz. It’s about a girl who goes to live with a Jewish family in Baltimore in the 1900s. It’s very touching https://www.google.com/search?q=the+...JSA-NtjX_CQ-5M
The Hired Girl is a recent one that I wasn't familiar with, and I see that it has received a lot of awards (2016 Scott O'Dell Award for Historical Fiction, 2016 Association of Jewish Libraries Sydney Taylor Award, 2016 National Jewish Book Award). I ordered it from Amazon. Thanks for the recommendation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism