Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 07:24 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
@Elijah: My Jewish Center recently became a partner of PJ Library New York. I'm not entirely sure what the "PJ" stands for, although our Center's newsletter said it's "PJ as in 'pajamas'."
Your Center’s newsletter wasn’t actually being facetious. Per their FAQs:
Quote:
What does PJ stand for?

Pajamas! PJ Library supports reading anytime of the day, but we know that many families sit down to read books at bedtime, in their pajamas. PJ Library books can be enjoyed any time you want a good story.
I don’t recall if our PJ Library books come directly through the Federation, or the Federation by virtue of our Synagogue’s daycare, but our toddler loves to “read,” and we want to encourage that as much as possible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 08:50 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Just noticing this thread. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the All-of-a-Kind Family books. I'm not exaggerating that I've probably read them 100 times - all five of them. I credit that series as part of the reason I am a genealogist. My grandmother was the same age as these girls and lived on Rivington Street - where the family went to market. A couple of years ago, I found Sydney Taylor's family tree online and saw a picture of her and her sisters as children - and they look similar to the beautiful illustrations in the first book.

Another great book is Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself by Judy Blume. It takes place mostly in Miami Beach after WWII and is about a 5th grade girl and her Jewish family.

Those are my favorite childhood books of all time.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:19 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Just noticing this thread. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the All-of-a-Kind Family books. I'm not exaggerating that I've probably read them 100 times - all five of them. I credit that series as part of the reason I am a genealogist. My grandmother was the same age as these girls and lived on Rivington Street - where the family went to market. A couple of years ago, I found Sydney Taylor's family tree online and saw a picture of her and her sisters as children - and they look similar to the beautiful illustrations in the first book.

Another great book is Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself by Judy Blume. It takes place mostly in Miami Beach after WWII and is about a 5th grade girl and her Jewish family.

Those are my favorite childhood books of all time.
They really are wonderfully memorable books, aren't they? You may enjoy this: All-of-a-Kind Family Companion

In addition to history and background information on the characters in the books as well as the real-life Brenner Family members upon which these characters were based, you'll also find a listing of similar children's books that nostalgically depict immigrant Jewish family life in an earlier era in America.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:14 PM

Quote:
They really are wonderfully memorable books, aren't they? You may enjoy this: All-of-a-Kind Family Companion

In addition to history and background information on the characters in the books as well as the real-life Brenner Family members upon which these characters were based, you'll also find a listing of similar children's books that nostalgically depict immigrant Jewish family life in an earlier era in America.
Thanks for the link. I've seen it before, but it was awhile ago, and it was fun to read again. I actually have a few of those other children's books sitting on my shelf. I should go read them, although nothing will compare...

Old 04-23-2021, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I've seen it before, but it was awhile ago, and it was fun to read again. I actually have a few of those other children's books sitting on my shelf. I should go read them, although nothing will compare...
I should have guessed you'd already seen that link to the All-of-a-Kind Family Companion.

Here's something that may also interest you, as a genealogist, about the Brenner family (if you hadn't already discovered it). In the last book of the series, Ella of All-of-a-Kind Family, when Papa and Mama are discussing the contract that's been offered Ella to sing in vaudeville, Papa says that they should find somebody "who knows about such things" to look over the contract, and then Mama suggests: "How about your cousins, the Timbergs?"

The real-life Brenners were actually related to the Timbergs of vaudeville fame. I did a bit of my own genealogical research and found that Herman Timberg actually was Papa Brenner's first cousin through his mother's sister, Mary Guernreich, and her husband Israel Timberg.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I should have guessed you'd already seen that link to the All-of-a-Kind Family Companion.

Here's something that may also interest you, as a genealogist, about the Brenner family (if you hadn't already discovered it). In the last book of the series, Ella of All-of-a-Kind Family, when Papa and Mama are discussing the contract that's been offered Ella to sing in vaudeville, Papa says that they should find somebody "who knows about such things" to look over the contract, and then Mama suggests: "How about your cousins, the Timbergs?"

The real-life Brenners were actually related to the Timbergs of vaudeville fame. I did a bit of my own genealogical research and found that Herman Timberg actually was Papa Brenner's first cousin through his mother's sister, Mary Guernreich, and her husband Israel Timberg.
That is so cool! I'm guessing a lot of the stories were based on her experiences. I did read recently that she was told to add in the July 4th chapter, so that the book would have more American appeal and not just Jewish appeal. She was such a talented writer - almost makes you want to live during that time.

Old 04-30-2021, 05:05 AM

Quote:
That is so cool! I'm guessing a lot of the stories were based on her experiences. I did read recently that she was told to add in the July 4th chapter, so that the book would have more American appeal and not just Jewish appeal. She was such a talented writer - almost makes you want to live during that time.
I've just finished reading The Rabbi's Girls, by Johanna Hurwitz. If you haven't already read it, I highly recommend it. The story takes place in the years 1923-1924 in the town of Lorain, Ohio and includes the historic and tragic event of the 1924 Lorain–Sandusky tornado. The Levin family (five young sisters and their parents) have just moved to the town where their father has started his new position as rabbi of the local synagogue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism