Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 07:11 PM

23,141 posts, read 10,441,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Something is off with the OP. He claims he is a "functional Jew," but never converted, and then he quotes a verse from the NT. Odd.
I know right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 07:18 PM

23,141 posts, read 10,441,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
I always here that the people you call Rabbi's push converts away, to test their sincerity. If they pushed me away, I would just leave, figuring that they were being sincere in pushing me away.
Pushed away for what you believe? If that can happen, it probably means the person wasn't serious anyway.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:41 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,152 times
I think they are being kind also. Many converts give up close friendships and family members. You also have strangers tell you, "they'll never accept you as one of their own". It's hard at first. Three Rabbis tried four times each to discourage me. It didn't work.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:45 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,874,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
I think they are being kind also. Many converts give up close friendships and family members. You also have strangers tell you, "they'll never accept you as one of their own". It's hard at first. Three Rabbis tried four times each to discourage me. It didn't work.

Yes, I agree that when a rabbi attempts to dissuade a potential convert, it's initially out of kindness than anything else. Every rabbi that I've had the privilege of knowing has been an individual of amazing kindness and patience. This kindness in dissuading potential converts comes from an understanding of how important family is (or ought to be) to all of us and, if it appears that a person's religious conversion may alienate that person from his family, then the kindest thing to do is to dissuade the potential convert. Unlike Christianity, Judaism doesn't proselytize or teach that everyone must convert to our religion in order to be "saved." We tell people who are not Jewish to find G-d through their own religions.

Of course, there is also another reason for why potential converts to Judaism were dissuaded in the past. That's because that, historically, Jews were punished by their Christian neighbors when suspected of trying to lead Christians away from Jesus. And not just the accused Jew would be punished – often that Jew's entire family and community would be made to suffer for it.

I'm glad that things, for the most part, are different today. I'm also glad that we recognize the many wonderful contributions to Judaism that are made by our Jews-by-choice.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:49 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,152 times
Agree. I think each "side" has to know the risk is worth it. Jews were often accused of trying to recruit Christians away from Christianity, from what I've read. It was dangerous.

Thank you for the kind words for Jews by Choice!

Old 08-06-2019, 07:54 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,310 times
Jew by choice? Is there such a thing? I think when someone goes through a proper conversion, they become retroactively Jewish and there’s no need to qualify what kind of Jew they are. They’re just Jewish.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Jew by choice? Is there such a thing? I think when someone goes through a proper conversion, they become retroactively Jewish and there’s no need to qualify what kind of Jew they are. They’re just Jewish.

Yes, I agree that those who convert become retroactively Jewish. I just prefer to use the term "Jew by choice" where one would ordinarily be using the word "convert" when talking about the subject of conversion. The term "convert" has historically had negative connotations for us, as many Jews were forced into becoming Christian converts. There was no choice in the matter.

Even though Jews don't force anyone to convert to Judaism, I nevertheless like to stress the choice made by those who have become Jews, in contrast to what some other religions have done to Jews.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:00 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Agree. I think each "side" has to know the risk is worth it. Jews were often accused of trying to recruit Christians away from Christianity, from what I've read. It was dangerous.

Thank you for the kind words for Jews by Choice!
The irony...We get accused of attempting to recruit Christians away from Christianity, but we don’t proselytize...HaShem said we are to be a light unto the nations...A light does not actively lead a ship to safety, it passively stands as a beacon to safety and it is the ship that must seek the way to that light if it wants that safety...While the stormy sea actively attempts to prevent that ship from arriving to that beacon of safety...Just my thoughts on this...

Old 08-07-2019, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The irony...We get accused of attempting to recruit Christians away from Christianity, but we don’t proselytize...HaShem said we are to be a light unto the nations...A light does not actively lead a ship to safety, it passively stands as a beacon to safety and it is the ship that must seek the way to that light if it wants that safety...While the stormy sea actively attempts to prevent that ship from arriving to that beacon of safety...Just my thoughts on this...

That's a beautiful analogy, Richard!

@Chana: You're very welcome! YOU are a light unto the nations, Chana!

Old 08-07-2019, 05:10 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
That's a beautiful analogy,
Thanks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism