Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 01:53 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,876,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Thank you for your sympathy, Rachel.

I have Torah class tomorrow and can ask the rebbetzin. If she's not sure, I'll send an email to the rabbi.

You're very welcome, Rachel. I love the way we can both go: "What's nu, Rachel?" "I dunno. What's nu with you, Rachel?"

Old 09-22-2019, 02:06 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Thank you. (And please remind me.....you are a rabbi, yes?)
Yes, he’s a Rabbi...

Old 09-22-2019, 03:08 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
You're very welcome, Rachel. I love the way we can both go: "What's nu, Rachel?" "I dunno. What's nu with you, Rachel?"
So tell me, Rachel, what's nu?

Old 09-22-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
OK, my Jewish friends, I think it's settled: it's perfectly fine.

It will no doubt be very sad, but I couldn't go into Rosh Hashana - my first without my dad - without at least visiting his resting place and doing some reflection.

Rachel, does your congregation collect donations for plants for the bimah on Yom Kippur, in memory of departed loved ones? Mine does, and I was wondering if yours does, too, then it may bring you additional peace to give a plant in your father's memory. (We also have flowering plants on the bimah for Rosh Hashana, but those are given to wish friends and loved ones a sweet new year.)

Old 09-22-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Yes, he’s a Rabbi...
Thanks.

Old 09-22-2019, 03:29 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,626 times
Quote:
Thank you. (And please remind me.....you are a rabbi, yes?)
Yes, but I'm speaking in my capacity as an anonymous internet poster who looked at some reputable websites.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:12 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Yes, but I'm speaking in my capacity as an anonymous internet poster who looked at some reputable websites.
We need you here...

Old 09-22-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Rachel, does your congregation collect donations for plants for the bimah on Yom Kippur, in memory of departed loved ones? Mine does, and I was wondering if yours does, too, then it may bring you additional peace to give a plant in your father's memory. (We also have flowering plants on the bimah for Rosh Hashana, but those are given to wish friends and loved ones a sweet new year.)
That would be beautiful - to give a plant - but unfortunately we do not have that. We do however have a "Memorial Tree," a big brass plaque that hangs prominently on the wall, and I have donated this year to have an individual plaque inscribed in my father's memory. I will also have his name inscribed in the Yizkor book. (It will be so hard seeing his name.)

I am actively exploring other opportunities to make contributions that I know would be meaningful to Dad. I'm thinking the UJA, which he supported, but open to other suggestions. Doesn't have to be Jewish causes.

I would love to donate to CCNY, which provided his undergraduate education at no cost (used to be a free college, but very competitive), but he became very angry, justifiably so, when they wouldn't fire that anti-Semitic history professor who taught that Jews injected black babies with AIDS. Do you remember him? Jeffries, I think.

Anyway, I am starting to ramble.....

Old 09-22-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
That would be beautiful - to give a plant - but unfortunately we do not have that. We do however have a "Memorial Tree," a big brass plaque that hangs prominently on the wall, and I have donated this year to have an individual plaque inscribed in my father's memory. I will also have his name inscribed in the Yizkor book. (It will be so hard seeing his name.)

I am actively exploring other opportunities to make contributions that I know would be meaningful to Dad. I'm thinking the UJA, which he supported, but open to other suggestions. Doesn't have to be Jewish causes.

Books have always been viewed by our people as being appropriate and worthy gifts. My public library has a memorial book donation program, and maybe yours might have one, too? One's donation goes towards the purchase of a new library book in memory of the loved one, and the subject matter of the book is chosen by the person making the donation. There is also a personalized memorial bookplate that goes inside the front cover of the book, and an acknowledgment appears in the library newsletter.

Quote:
I would love to donate to CCNY, which provided his undergraduate education at no cost (used to be a free college, but very competitive), but he became very angry, justifiably so, when they wouldn't fire that anti-Semitic history professor who taught that Jews injected black babies with AIDS. Do you remember him? Jeffries, I think.
Ohhh, I remember Jeffries all right. I was curious to see whether that crazy racist was still alive and, according to Wiki, he's alive, he's 82 years old, and he doesn't seem to be doing much of anything these days. It would be ironic if his old age health care needs are dependent on Jewish doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism