Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 01:20 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisteuo View Post
Lol, mixed up would be an understatement! But I'm not talking about this topic.

This topic is outside my comfort zone. The first time I've spoken with anyone of the Jewish Faith, especially about Psalm 23. If your sensing I'm holding back some cards, you'd be right. Sorry for that. But you seem to be one of the few still interested about this question. That's a good thing.

Maybe I'll put my understandings on the table for you to test over in the " Christianity" forum, if you like. Then you will know the true meaning of mixed up.
Ahh, you’re here to teach us...And we’re not getting it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 01:22 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Maybe it's time to ask an important question about what David means in Psalm 23 when he says," you anoint my head with oil."

The question?
Is David referring to physical or the Spiritual? The Temporal or the eternal world?

He says, " You " anoint my head with oil. Who is he referring to?
HaShem...

Old 10-30-2019, 05:01 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times
Quote:
Maybe it's time to ask an important question about what David means in Psalm 23 when he says," you anoint my head with oil."

The question?
Is David referring to physical or the Spiritual? The Temporal or the eternal world?

He says, " You " anoint my head with oil. Who is he referring to?
If Psalm 23 has David speaking to God about all the things God has done, then it must be a non-literal statement because Samuel, not God, anointed David with oil in Sam 1, 16:13 and the people of Judah and Israel anointed David (which, I would think, means, "accepted him as king") in Sam 2, chapters 1 and 5.

Non-literal, though, does not mean spiritual, necessarily. It could mean a reference to an event put in motion or sanctioned by God. "You, God, have chosen me to be anointed" or "You, God, have made it that the people acknowledge me as king" (all of this assuming that "dishanta" is a reference to the moment of the anointing as a king). Judaism sees the reference as one of thanks for what God has given to David, including the kingship, but that kingship goes hand in hand with establishing a dynasty in his family for all time.

The fact that the text doesn't use the standard m-sh-ch word here seems to be talking about the effect of the actual anointing -- "You, God, have set me up for success."

Old 10-30-2019, 10:23 AM

202 posts, read 42,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
If Psalm 23 has David speaking to God about all the things God has done, then it must be a non-literal statement because Samuel, not God, anointed David with oil in Sam 1, 16:13 and the people of Judah and Israel anointed David (which, I would think, means, "accepted him as king") in Sam 2, chapters 1 and 5.

Non-literal, though, does not mean spiritual, necessarily. It could mean a reference to an event put in motion or sanctioned by God. "You, God, have chosen me to be anointed" or "You, God, have made it that the people acknowledge me as king" (all of this assuming that "dishanta" is a reference to the moment of the anointing as a king). Judaism sees the reference as one of thanks for what God has given to David, including the kingship, but that kingship goes hand in hand with establishing a dynasty in his family for all time.

The fact that the text doesn't use the standard m-sh-ch word here seems to be talking about the effect of the actual anointing -- "You, God, have set me up for success."
Hi Rabbi Rosen, this last paragraph here is extremely interesting!

I went back and listened to what my instructor taught about the line in Psalm 23 I'm talking about.

He didn't accually say that "fatness" is a direct translation of the word anoint , in the Hebrew.

What he said, and I quote, " thou anointest my head with oil. Literally, makes me a Spiritual fathead. Not to many people are pleased with that, but it happens to be in the OT language, a complimentary state of being, literally, He makes fat my head with oil. He pours the fatness of oil, His Spirit, disybolized by the oil." End Quote.

Your saying, because a specific word is missing, David could be talking about " the effect "of the oil?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Ahh, you’re here to teach us...And we’re not getting it...
I'm not a teacher! But I do feel I have been given the gift to point to stumbling blocks for potential Christians.

Being way out of my character, I'm here asking this question to you very patient followers of God purely for selfish reasons. To try and understand something.

If someone among you were to realize something that would bring you a little further away from God? That would make me very happy!

The reason I say "further away" ? I stand on the fact that the closer we are to God, the further away from Him we feel. Simply because it causes us to trust Him better.

So again, I am sorry for my selfish motive.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I never said that, CS did...
Wow, you right! He replied to his own quote,

Old 10-30-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Hi Rabbi Rosen, this last paragraph here is extremely interesting!

I went back and listened to what my instructor taught about the line in Psalm 23 I'm talking about.

He didn't accually say that "fatness" is a direct translation of the word anoint , in the Hebrew.

What he said, and I quote, " thou anointest my head with oil. Literally, makes me a Spiritual fathead. Not to many people are pleased with that, but it happens to be in the OT language, a complimentary state of being, literally, He makes fat my head with oil. He pours the fatness of oil, His Spirit, disybolized by the oil." End Quote.

Your saying, because a specific word is missing, David could be talking about " the effect "of the oil?

Looking forward to your thoughts.
The instructor has the line meaning "He makes my head fat with oil" which isn't a horrible interpretation, not far off from "you made my head rich/fertile with oil" but I still think this refers to the status of being king, not any spiritual state.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
The instructor has the line meaning "He makes my head fat with oil" which isn't a horrible interpretation, not far off from "you made my head rich/fertile with oil" but I still think this refers to the status of being king, not any spiritual state.
Is there anything that could tell us if he's referring to a one time happening, or something that's happening continuously?

Old 10-30-2019, 11:14 AM

He is using the word" make" which is a present tense , verses the word" made" which would be past tense.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Is there anything that could tell us if he's referring to a one time happening, or something that's happening continuously?
the verb in Hebrew seems to be in the past (second person, singular) -- Binyan Pi'el.

Last edited by rosends; 10-30-2019 at 12:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism