Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 07:21 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,843,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
P.S. I'll try to see what I can find out. I'm not doing anything other than sitting here eating my turkey bacon.

[Jewish Homer Simpson font]Turkey bacon. Mmmm...[/Jewish Homer Simpson font]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 09:49 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,889,487 times
Quote:
Good guess, but TURKEY. Have you had beef or lamb bacon? How is it?
Beef...It’s very good...Better than turkey...Haven’t tried lamb bacon yet, but I’ve been told that is even more tasty than beef...

Old 11-04-2019, 09:51 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,889,487 times
Quote:
There's nothing more written about this new ruling, although the news is only about 12 hours old. More should be coming out about it.

FWIW, I think Israel is wrong in this (and I say that as someone who would never touch the stuff.....feh!). Most Jews in Israel are secular, and Christians there of course eat it. (OBservant Muslims, no.) People are antisemitic enough, and this will just add to it.
What’s an OB servant Muslim?...

Old 11-04-2019, 09:58 AM

19,394 posts, read 6,447,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
What’s an OB servant Muslim?...
An observant Muslim would follow halal restrictions, just as observant Jews follow kosher law. Pork is forbidden in both religions, and not surprisingly.....Islam traces its roots back to Abraham, and thus to the laws given to his descendants.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:10 AM

2,672 posts, read 1,247,882 times
I'm troubled by it. The country isn't a theocracy and if, for backroom-political reasons, a government wants to limit the import of certain non-kosher foods, then let it do it explicitly instead of hiding behind impossible conditions. I hope that there is more to this which would help me understand exactly what is going on.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:03 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,344,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
I'm troubled by it. The country isn't a theocracy and if, for backroom-political reasons, a government wants to limit the import of certain non-kosher foods, then let it do it explicitly instead of hiding behind impossible conditions. I hope that there is more to this which would help me understand exactly what is going on.
Not currently a theocracy. We pray 3x per day that it becomes one, speedily and in our time.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:22 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,843,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Not currently a theocracy. We pray 3x per day that it becomes one, speedily and in our time.
I don't think that Jews should be compelling non-Jews to abide by Judaic religious law.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:44 PM

610 posts, read 303,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Probably nothing taste better than the real thing. There’s nothing actually wrong with that, it just happens to be forbidden to us.
Surprise info (opinion, of course) from a BT. You are not missing anything. If anything, the smoked turkey products are better. HaShem has not shortchanged His chosen people.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:57 PM

2,672 posts, read 1,247,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I don't think that Jews should be compelling non-Jews to abide by Judaic religious law.
That is a sticky question. I think that certain Israeli amenities that represent the state should show a sympathy to the underlying religious nature of the state. I think that there should be no El Al or public buses on Shabbat and Yom Tov if for nothing else but the kiddush hashem. There are other purveyors of survices. Of course, as an American, my opinion is worth what anyone paid for it.

Old 11-04-2019, 01:01 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,344,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Not sure they are. They’re just refusing to do lifnei iver (Putting a stumbling block in front of a blind person). Torah Observance is required of all Jews, no matter the current level they are at. It’s just the consequences for a tinok shenisbra (Someone who doesn’t observe because they simply don’t know any better) are likely suspended, or at least graded on a sliding scale.

The way I look at this, is the government is refraining from enabling the consumption of a forbidden product. That’s not the same as forbidding the people from eating that product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism