Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 12:59 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,449,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
The respect for the body as created, for it to return to earth as a natural process.
https://ohr.edu/1298
Good post, what I was going to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 01:28 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
You burn trash. You bury treasure.
Tried to rep you...

Old 11-06-2019, 01:35 PM

243 posts, read 102,354 times
Also, I like the way everyone is treated the same in death. No one has a better casket than anyone else. The simplest one, where you return back to the earth, the way you came from, the quickest.

Old 11-06-2019, 02:32 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin mouse View Post
Also, I like the way everyone is treated the same in death. No one has a better casket than anyone else. The simplest one, where you return back to the earth, the way you came from, the quickest.
Have you ever been to a Jewish burial? It’s beautiful. The most striking item (I think only in the Orthodox world but someone will correct me if I’m wrong), is that Jews bury their own dead. That means we 100% fill in the hole in the ground. I’ve left a burial in summer drenched in sweat before. Jackets come off and blisters sometimes ensue.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:21 PM

243 posts, read 102,354 times
No , but I’ve read about them. Don’t they bury the person ( male) with their tallit, but with the fringes cut off? I think it’s the one from their wedding . I know that someone stays with the body, until burial.
I love that part.
I the idea of Shiva, where everyone takes care of the immediate family during the mourning period of the first week, and the custom of Kaddish, and the Yahrzeit memorial each year. I like how everyone in the family gets to put a shovel of dirt over the coffin.
It’s a lot more caring and personal, than having a funeral home do it.
( That’s just me though, I’m kind of old fashioned and like older customs)

Old 11-06-2019, 06:31 PM

31 posts, read 27,326 times
What if your relative insists they don’t want a Jewish burial? What if they believed in another religion while being ethnically Jewish?

Old 11-07-2019, 02:57 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie1215 View Post
Your family member is a Jew but doesn’t practice, eats pork, etc. They wrote in their will that they want to be cremated, designated which company will cremate them and paid the company in advance. Would you still try to stop the cremation?
Not Orthodox. The Will is a legally binding document.

While cremation is opposed by Conservative Jews, a Conservative rabbi may still perform a funeral for a person who has been cremated. However, in most Conservative communities, the rabbi will not be present for the interment of the ashes. For Reform Jews, however, cremation is becoming an increasingly common practice, and most Reform rabbis will willingly perform a funeral and interment for someone who has been cremated.

https://www.everplans.com/articles/j...ral-traditions

https://jewishaction.com/religion/in...jewish-burial/

Old 11-07-2019, 04:36 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
For Reform Jews, however, cremation is becoming an increasingly common practice, and most Reform rabbis will willingly perform a funeral and interment for someone who has been cremated.

While it's true that cremation has become an accepted practice among many Reform Jews, the general acceptance of cremation varies on a regional basis. Reform Jews living in New York City and environs have a far lower statistical rate for the practice than elsewhere in the United States. I'm personally seeing many Reform Jews in my area returning to other more traditional Jewish practices, as well.

Old 11-07-2019, 04:50 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,121 times
Maybe it is just a matter of terminology, but a will won't be read until well after the burial. I have a document that my family is aware of that requests certain things at my funeral. I don't imagine that my wishes are a binding policy. They are wishes. This isn't a DNR order.

Old 11-07-2019, 07:31 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
While it's true that cremation has become an accepted practice among many Reform Jews, the general acceptance of cremation varies on a regional basis. Reform Jews living in New York City and environs have a far lower statistical rate for the practice than elsewhere in the United States. I'm personally seeing many Reform Jews in my area returning to other more traditional Jewish practices, as well.
No matter what the situation is, NYC nearly always goes upstream while nearly everyone else goes downstream. If there were awards given for making 'gurnicht mit gurnicht', 'kvetching', 'tsuris' and 'meshugas' NYC would win first prize.

'gurnicht mit gurnicht' = nothing from nothing

'kvetching' = complaining

'tsuris' =troubles or making troubles

'meshugas' = crazy or crazy making
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism