Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 04:19 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The only safer place for them would be to move to Israel.

^ Truth, sister.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 05:45 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
There are currently eight active and virulently antisemitic Neo-Nazi and Christian Identity groups based in the South:

Aryan Nations Sadistic Souls (Missouri)
Christian America Ministries (Louisiana)
Christogenea (Florida)
Church of Israel (Missouri)
Covenant People's Ministry (Georgia)
Creativity Alliance (Texas)
Fellowship of God's Covenant People (Kentucky)
Kingdom Identity Ministries (Arkansas)
National Alliance (Tennessee)
National Alliance (West Virginia)
Sacred Truth Publishing and Ministries (Tennessee)
Vanguard News Network (Missouri)
Yahushua Dual Seed Christian Identity Ministry (Texas)

For the Jewish people, there are no "greener pastures." This is why Israel was established.
I think you could add BDS, J Street and the mainstream media to the list.

Old 12-11-2019, 06:34 PM

I don't think I need to add anything else to "the list" in order to make it clear that Israel is the logical option for Jews who yearn for a haven from all forms of antisemitism.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:37 PM

15,863 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I had a cross burned on my lawn as a child in the South. And I'm only 31. That's to say nothing of the bullying/ignorance I received in school from both kids and the adults (parents, teachers, bus drivers). There's a reason I moved to the Boston area for college and stayed afterward. I don't know that I could feel safe in the South.

And you'd have no reason to know I was Jewish unless you knew. I'd be much more concerned for Hasidim.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I had a cross burned on my lawn as a child in the South. And I'm only 31. That's to say nothing of the bullying/ignorance I received in school from both kids and the adults (parents, teachers, bus drivers). There's a reason I moved to the Boston area for college and stayed afterward. I don't know that I could feel safe in the South.

And you'd have no reason to know I was Jewish unless you knew. I'd be much more concerned for Hasidim.

Sadly, such acts of antisemitism are everywhere. I understand that the shooters in the recent New Jersey tragedy were members of the Black Hebrew Israelites -- an antisemitic hate group that New Yorkers are familiar with as their members can often be seen proselytizing their hate on street corners in the city.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:27 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
I realize that this hate group (whom I never heard of until the incident in DC with the white boys from Kentucky) has free speech, and that hate speech is protected under the First Amendment; however, speech that incites a riot is NOT protected, and that would include, I presume, speech that encourages anybody (including a group of its own members) to murder. Why, after this horrific attack, can't DeBlasio deem their speech "incitement to murder" and squash them like the vermin they are??

Old 12-12-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I realize that this hate group (whom I never heard of until the incident in DC with the white boys from Kentucky) has free speech, and that hate speech is protected under the First Amendment; however, speech that incites a riot is NOT protected, and that would include, I presume, speech that encourages anybody (including a group of its own members) to murder. Why, after this horrific attack, can't DeBlasio deem their speech "incitement to murder" and squash them like the vermin they are??
Probably for the same reason why Giuliani and Bloomberg didn't squash them either, when they were mayors. This hate group has been around for a long time and, when they preach their venom on city sidewalks, they seem to know just how far they can go.

I was pleased to see that our current mayor has not blanched at calling the New Jersey shootings an "act of terrorism," and he has sent additional police into the NYC Jewish communities for protection.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Probably for the same reason why Giuliani and Bloomberg didn't squash them either, when they were mayors. This hate group has been around for a long time and, when they preach their venom on city sidewalks, they seem to know just how far they can go.

I was pleased to see that our current mayor has not blanched at calling the New Jersey shootings an "act of terrorism," and he has sent additional police into the NYC Jewish communities for protection.
Yes, but there wasn't a mass murder like this when Giuliani and Bloomberg were mayors, so they didn't have the "incite to mass murder" reason to squash them. (Correct me if there was a mass murder like this under those mayors; I don't recall.) But now, given the rise in antisemitism AND this hate-filled group committing multiple murders in one terrorist attack, it seems that DeBlasio would have more backing to squash them. I just can't imagine, after what happened, seeing them spewing their venom on the street corners next week.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yes, but there wasn't a mass murder like this when Giuliani and Bloomberg were mayors, so they didn't have the "incite to mass murder" reason to squash them. (Correct me if there was a mass murder like this under those mayors; I don't recall.) But now, given the rise in antisemitism AND this hate-filled group committing multiple murders in one terrorist attack, it seems that DeBlasio would have more backing to squash them. I just can't imagine, after what happened, seeing them spewing their venom on the street corners next week.

We've seen a rise in violent hate crimes in recent years, and a general reluctance from politicians to call out this violence as the domestic terrorism that it is. Naming this latest act a "terrorist act" as DeBlasio did is the first step toward taking a strong approach to dealing with groups that incite this kind of violence.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
We've seen a rise in violent hate crimes in recent years, and a general reluctance from politicians to call out this violence as the domestic terrorism that it is. Naming this latest act a "terrorist act" as DeBlasio did is the first step toward taking a strong approach to dealing with groups that incite this kind of violence.
Sorry, but I don't think calling this a 'terrorist act' will deter them, although I'm glad he was willing to call it was it was. Beyond that, I'd like to see these monsters prevented from inciting-to-mass-murder via their hate speech on the streets of NYC by DeBlasio shutting them down. The fear, of course, is that could cause more of a backlash among anti-semites, and the Hasidim would be the ones to pay the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism