Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 06:53 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,874,153 times

Advertisements

I've watched several interviews with author Deborah Feldman, and I think that this is one of the best. So I'm sharing it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvxzIXSAPyw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 07:05 AM

22,162 posts, read 19,213,038 times
as a Jew, and as a baal tshuva, the real life stories that i find most inspiring are those who find the beauty and joy in living life as a Jew. those who make the reverse journey, and travel from the secular to the sacred.

The real-life Feldman writes she was "consumed by an obsession with everything I had previously known to be sinful, which meant going to clubs, drinking beer, flirting with boys, smoking cigarettes, cursing, and eating pork. Once she felt she had sufficiently tried enough of what had been forbidden, she became interested in politics, feminist theory, and independent films."

i dont find anything newsworthy or remarkable in a young person who rebels against their upbringing, discards whatever values they are raised with, or runs away from home. There is nothing "Jewish" about that, it happens in families everywhere, and it is more likely to happen if there is abuse or violence in the home. As a woman, yes women need to be in a home that is safe and without violence. But don't make it a Jewish problem, and don't use it as an excuse to show disdain for segments of the Jewish population. Domestic violence is a human problem, not a Jewish problem.

What is noteworthy and becomes admirable is when a person as they mature and (hopefully) grow in depth and wisdom is able to identify and embrace that which is more than superficial. its easy to assimilate and go do what everyone else is doing. it takes much more strength of character to identify and live by a set of values that mean something.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-31-2020 at 07:33 AM..

Old 03-31-2020, 07:10 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,310 times
She’s the very symbol of what Torah Observant parents fear will become of their children one day. Having a child go off the derech is bad enough. Then to write a book about it and become an inspiration for others. Just awful.

I know this statement will trigger some of you, but this forum should have multiple viewpoints, so that people know she is a pariah to many many Torah Jews.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
as a Jew, and as a baal tshuva, the real life stories that i find most inspiring are those who find the beauty and joy in living life as a Jew. those who make the reverse journey, and travel from the secular to the sacred.
Beautifully said, Tzaph. As you know, the rabbis say that kedusha (holiness - closeness to Hashem) is only meant to go upwards. She is the opposite of this dictum.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:

The real-life Feldman writes she was "consumed by an obsession with everything I had previously known to be sinful, which meant going to clubs, drinking beer, flirting with boys, smoking cigarettes, cursing, and eating pork. Once she felt she had sufficiently tried enough of what had been forbidden, she became interested in politics, feminist theory, and independent films."

i dont find anything newsworthy or remarkable in a young person who rebels against their upbringing and discards whatever values they are raised with. what is noteworthy and becomes admirable is when a person as they mature and (hopefully) grow in depth and wisdom is able to identify and embrace that which is more than superficial.

its easy to assimilate and go do what everyone else is doing. it takes much more strength of character to identify and live by a set of values that mean something.
Lots of people "rebel against their upbringing" by leaving the religion in which they were raised. Often, they find another religion or path to which they convert or adhere. They may have many reasons for doing so, some of which are not so different from the author's reason for doing so.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Lots of people "rebel against their upbringing" by leaving the religion in which they were raised. Often, they find another religion or path to which they convert or adhere. They may have many reasons for doing so, some of which are not so different from the author's reason for doing so.
Sure, I get it. Nothing wrong with finding your “place” in the world. But to leave a Torah Observant community (that obviously wasn’t a fit for her) and replace it with a less observant lifestyle is surely a fall. And then to glorify the move with books and film, that’s where I’m taking issue.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Sure, I get it. Nothing wrong with finding your “place” in the world. But to leave a Torah Observant community (that obviously wasn’t a fit for her) and replace it with a less observant lifestyle is surely a fall. And then to glorify the move with books and film, that’s where I’m taking issue.
The particular community that she left was not exactly the gold standard for communities that observe Torah. It is this particular community that should self-examine and blame themselves, that they should cause not only this young woman to leave, but others as well. The fact that the author cannot reveal her address because of the death threats she has received, speaks volumes.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:07 AM

the TV series was created for commercial appeal.
including outright fictional elements added for sensationalism
but which viewers are all too eager to swallow whole as "yes that is fact, yes this woman lived, what you see on TV is true"

stories like these are used to air, promote, and foster anti-Semitism

Old 03-31-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
The particular community that she left was not exactly the gold standard for communities that observe Torah. It is this particular community that should self-examine and blame themselves, that they should cause not only this young woman to leave, but others as well. The fact that the author cannot reveal her address because of the death threats she has received, speaks volumes.
Stop using this as an excuse to bash a segment of the Jewish population.
every woman who has left a situation of domestic violence faces threats,
ask anyone who works in a safe house or with women in that population.

i am pointing out how eager some are (Jews and gentiles alike) to use well, anything really, as a platform for their own religious prejudice.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
the TV series was created for commercial appeal.
including outright fictional elements added for sensationalism
but which viewers are all too eager to swallow whole as "yes that is fact, yes this woman lived, what you see on TV is true"

stories like these are used to air, promote, and foster anti-Semitism
I've already pointed out that the television series doesn't follow the book, as you might have seen if you were following this thread. I think that a bigger concern that we have is that which exists within our own communities with those who turn a blind eye to how fellow Jews are treated by other Jews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism