Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 01:41 PM

18,991 posts, read 16,817,402 times

Advertisements

I knew the Spanish history with Holland and New York's, ironically its when the British supplanted the Dutch in New York that the status quo changed, the Brit's are very good at keeping the classes separate...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 01:46 PM

22,755 posts, read 10,211,309 times
I dont know if its wrong to say this, but the few Jews I have known do think differently, and all of them were different in the same way.

Only way I can explain it is that Gentiles are Captain Kirk, and the Jews I have known are exactly like Spock, and for me to be around my Jewish friends is like standing near my opposite

Old 04-17-2020, 01:56 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,588,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I dont know if its wrong to say this, but the few Jews I have known do think differently, and all of them were different in the same way.

Only way I can explain it is that Gentiles are Captain Kirk, and the Jews I have known are exactly like Spock, and for me to be around my Jewish friends is like standing near my opposite
That's an interesting analogy and I like it! That is pretty spot on.

Old 04-17-2020, 02:37 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,835,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Makes sense! I know Eastern Europe has a high percentage of Jewish people - so that makes sense to me. When I went to Brighton Beach last summer, it's a Russian enclave with a high percentage of Jewish people too. I love the Brighton Beach area.

I never realized about the Dutch. That would seem to make sense too - I feel like DNA helps us learn our history too.

I studied German in high school (I also studied Yiddish too) and our German club went to Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Lichtenstein in April 2007. We went to Dachau and that trip changed my life.
I'm not sure how helpful DNA tests might be for those of Dutch descent trying to determine whether they have Jewish ancestry. Most DNA tests (at least, the ones I'm familiar with) compare a registrant's genes with those of Ashkenazic groups. I'm not familiar with any DNA tests that also compare with Sephardic groups, and the Jews of Holland who came from Spain were Sephardic Jews. So, it could be that someone of Dutch descent may actually have an even higher percentage of Jewish ancestry than previously thought, due to the DNA test not specifically focusing on Sephardic groups.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I'm not sure how helpful DNA tests might be for those of Dutch descent trying to determine whether they have Jewish ancestry. Most DNA tests (at least, the ones I'm familiar with) compare a registrant's genes with those of Ashkenazic groups. I'm not familiar with any DNA tests that also compare with Sephardic groups, and the Jews of Holland who came from Spain were Sephardic Jews. So, it could be that someone of Dutch descent may actually have an even higher percentage of Jewish ancestry than previously thought, due to the DNA test not specifically focusing on Sephardic groups.
This is honestly all new to me. Sometimes I believe we all have a special sixth sense and I think mine has always been a different type of thinking. When I was a child, I had a feeling that I didn't fully belong. I had a Jewish friend who was adopted from Russia and I once said, "I think I'm adopted too!" Everyone got really mad. I didn't learn of dad's adoption until after Nan died, it was never talked about. Growing up, I remember saying to my parents, "let's play dreidel and let's eat Hanukkah food!" I went to public school, so we celebrated everyone's holidays and I was given a plastic dreidel at school. Mom learned how to cook some foods and we "celebrated." I loved matzo. So, I don't think this year was truly a surprise to my parents.'

I look back and laugh. Then again, I loved learning about different cultures and often had different cultural nights growing up. I'm grateful that I had an awesome family that didn't say, "NO! NO! NO! Stop it!" And let me explore. I'm still grateful for that.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:43 PM

11,538 posts, read 12,562,494 times
Quote:
My Heritage (developed in Israel) is supposed to be the most accurate in terms of identifying Jewish genetics. It does differentiate between Askenazi and Sephardic groups.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:47 PM

11,538 posts, read 12,562,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Spain occupied the Netherlands for a time. That's simply history.

An interesting note about the Netherlands is that while Jews were accepted and welcomed (and that extended to the new world, as the first Jewish congregation in Nieuw Amsterdam arrived in 1654 and the Dutch West India Company instructed the governor to let them in and their congregation, Sheareth Israel, still exists in New York City), Catholics were so absolutely hated that their religion was outlawed for a time. There is a museum called Our Lord In The Attic, which was a secret Catholic church on the upper floor of a house in Amsterdam.

In that case, it was Christian vs. Christian with Jews welcomed but other Christians not.

People are weird. You heard it from me.
Mightyqueen, did you know about another Dutch/Sephardic connection? Some friends of mine have seen this place in person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cura%C3%A7ao_synagogue

Old 04-18-2020, 03:21 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,835,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
My Heritage (developed in Israel) is supposed to be the most accurate in terms of identifying Jewish genetics. It does differentiate between Askenazi and Sephardic groups.
Good to know! Many thanks for the info, Coney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Mightyqueen, did you know about another Dutch/Sephardic connection? Some friends of mine have seen this place in person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cura%C3%A7ao_synagogue
Here's another: New York City's first Jewish congregation consisted of Sephardic Jews from Spain and Portugal. In fact, the Sephardic Jewish cemetery located in Manhattan's Chinatown is one of the oldest Jewish cemeteries North America. And, of course, New Amsterdam (later known as NYC), was settled by the Dutch.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 04-18-2020 at 03:39 AM..

Old 04-18-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Good to know! Many thanks for the info, Coney!

Here's another: New York City's first Jewish congregation consisted of Sephardic Jews from Spain and Portugal. In fact, the Sephardic Jewish cemetery located in Manhattan's Chinatown is one of the oldest Jewish cemeteries North America. And, of course, New Amsterdam (later known as NYC), was settled by the Dutch.
Coney, that's really interesting.

Rachel, can one visit this cemetery? In Philadelphia, they have Laurel Hill, which is opened to all faiths, and it's the oldest cemetery in our city. Was going to visit, but then COVID struck. Maybe it's morbid, but sometimes I find it interesting to visit old cemeteries because you can learn a lot of history.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:26 AM

22,755 posts, read 10,211,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Coney, that's really interesting.

Rachel, can one visit this cemetery? In Philadelphia, they have Laurel Hill, which is opened to all faiths, and it's the oldest cemetery in our city. Was going to visit, but then COVID struck. Maybe it's morbid, but sometimes I find it interesting to visit old cemeteries because you can learn a lot of history.
I have spent hundreds of hours in graveyards, it's like a hobby to me. So far I found two different grave markers that had been lost, found both of them in trees, 10 feet off the ground. I replaced one where it was to go, the other had grown into the tree. There is a big mystery where a certain woman is buried around here, I like looking for her.

The area I am in is unlike any other place I have ever been, I mean it's probably just my imagination, but everyone says the same thing about this area. It's like you pass Waco headed to Glen Rose and the mood changes, the atmosphere changes as if you are surrounded by Indians. I wouldn't usually even consider nonsense like ghosts or spirits hanging around, but this area seems to almost make me a believer, it's like Indians always watching, always chanting. I guess it was that feeling that I wound up visiting so many graveyards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism