Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 05:49 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times

Advertisements

Just browsing this thread, and I have to say this is the first time I have ever seen/heard or been aware of the term Masorti.
Googled and now I know, so thank you for using that term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 07:23 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Just browsing this thread, and I have to say this is the first time I have ever seen/heard or been aware of the term Masorti.
Googled and now I know, so thank you for using that term.
There is a also another term known as Conservadox used primarily in the US which is more in line with Masorti than Conservative is.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:17 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
@JB: I always wondered about how converts to Judaism dealt with any tattoos they had gotten prior to conversion. Thanks for sharing your own experience! Your rabbi sounds like a very wise man to have told you that you shouldn't go through the pain of removing them as that would be against Jewish law.

@Richard: "Squid"? You have a tattoo of a squid on you somewhere?

@Jess: That's cool that you're keeping your tattoos, and especially that they mean something special to you. I'll bet they are INKredible!
Squid is what sailors call each other...Kinda like Marines calling each other Jarhead...I have two tats, but I got them way back before I decided to walk the derech...

Old 04-20-2020, 10:28 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Squid is what sailors call each other...Kinda like Marines calling each other Jarhead...I have two tats, but I got them way back before I decided to walk the derech...
Ah! Thanks for the clarification!

Old 04-20-2020, 11:07 AM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
With a handle like "Coney" one would think you were from Brooklyn. Going 70 years back is a bit far fetched as numerous post WW2 military veterans had them. As early as the 1970's arm tattoos became fashionable so much that a beach in Brooklyn got the nickname Tattoo Beach. Many people had them, but they were hidden by clothing. It became more mainstream in the 90's with the neck tattoos above the shirt line and by the early 2000's it went past all clothing hidden lines.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YajRzAUpYN...vah-Tattoo.jpg
Yes, I said that. Having a Dad who was a veteran in the American military and a history buff, I've got this.

After the Popeye the sailor era (remember Pluto?) and actually even at an earlier era, sailors or seamen (which would be the more correct term) had tattoos in the 19th century, other people in the military adopted tattoo wearing. I am more than aware of tattoo beach in Brooklyn, thanks. BTW, my handle, Coney, has absolutely nothing to do with Coney Island. It's related to an animal.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:30 PM

243 posts, read 102,354 times
I have a tattoo that I wish I never got, it's on my upper arm, so it's not noticeable and I always wear long sleeves anyway.
I"ll just be embarrassed at the mikveh. It's big. I didn't know it was that big until half way through the procedure. My husband teases be because it's bigger than his.
He got his in Tech school, so they had limits on size.
The good thing is that it's a 911 memorial tattoo that I got after 911, and not any offensive or tacky tattoo, that's not my style anyway.
It's just big because I have small arms.
I'm seriously looking at tattoo laser removal. I heard that some methods of it aren't that painful.
Does anyone know much about it?

Old 04-20-2020, 01:14 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin mouse View Post
I have a tattoo that I wish I never got, it's on my upper arm, so it's not noticeable and I always wear long sleeves anyway.
I"ll just be embarrassed at the mikveh. It's big. I didn't know it was that big until half way through the procedure. My husband teases be because it's bigger than his.
He got his in Tech school, so they had limits on size.
The good thing is that it's a 911 memorial tattoo that I got after 911, and not any offensive or tacky tattoo, that's not my style anyway.
It's just big because I have small arms.
I'm seriously looking at tattoo laser removal. I heard that some methods of it aren't that painful.
Does anyone know much about it?
I can ask my friend who had it done. I know it's done in sessions. Her first tattoo was of a flower on her wrist and her artist messed it up.

Old 04-20-2020, 02:47 PM

243 posts, read 102,354 times
Thanks. I read different things from different sites. Some say no more pain than the actual tattoo to unbearable.

Old 04-21-2020, 03:03 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
Thankfully Torah teaches us NOT to do it. So I'll follow the Most High on this one ;-)

Old 04-21-2020, 05:05 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times
It's National Poetry Write Month and I'm going to finish the challenge this year! I didn't really care for today's napowrimo.net prompt, so I wrote about an interesting dream I had last night.

It's time to get tattoo number three,
and this time my mom will join me;
I no longer feel that the art is taboo
and no need to hide my other tattoos,
what is it that will cover me?

I will get an another Insane Clown Posse
that will cover my wrist and arm, hear thee,
The Great Milenko, in colour, I coo-
time to get tattoo number three!

Yet, as we sit in the chairs at Old City,
a girl I've never seen, places like a temporary,
crying, I run to X-treme Ink, time for a new
artist, I see mom and dad on the table, they shoo,
and Doug goes to town, a colourful beauty-
tattoo number three after quarantine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism