Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 09:25 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times

Advertisements

I'm feeling very uncertain about attending these minyans. While they are fully sanctioned by our gedolim (Torah greats), as well as local government and health officials, well, I just feel uncertain. I'm davening effectively at home for now. I'm not dying (literally and figuratively) to stand on a concrete parking lot with bugs and heat, just to stand in a minyan. Of course, Jews have fought with their lives for thousands of years to "stand with the minyan." The Rav was abundantly clear, that this minyan is ONLY for those who can't live without it, and anyone with doubts or anxiety should not come. B'H, we have a large congregation of hundreds, so it's not like there won't be a minyan if i don't come. I'm very conflicted. That said, I'm taking a wait and see approach, and in the meantime, I'll try to improve my kavanah with my home davening.

(Sorry Chava, I've tried not to reveal where I live here at CD for a previous safety concern regarding another poster. There's a smart guy or two in this forum who have figured it out, but I hope they'll not reveal. And the TOS supports that as well)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 09:46 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I'm feeling very uncertain about attending these minyans. While they are fully sanctioned by our gedolim (Torah greats), as well as local government and health officials, well, I just feel uncertain. I'm davening effectively at home for now. I'm not dying (literally and figuratively) to stand on a concrete parking lot with bugs and heat, just to stand in a minyan. Of course, Jews have fought with their lives for thousands of years to "stand with the minyan." The Rav was abundantly clear, that this minyan is ONLY for those who can't live without it, and anyone with doubts or anxiety should not come. B'H, we have a large congregation of hundreds, so it's not like there won't be a minyan if i don't come. I'm very conflicted. That said, I'm taking a wait and see approach, and in the meantime, I'll try to improve my kavanah with my home davening.

(Sorry Chava, I've tried not to reveal where I live here at CD for a previous safety concern regarding another poster. There's a smart guy or two in this forum who have figured it out, but I hope they'll not reveal. And the TOS supports that as well)
I am happy that things are beginning to open up for those who feel comfortable, TFF.

Just a note as to the last paragraph with my mod hat on, yes indeed. If someone reveals personal information that you did not yourself provide on the forum, report them.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:43 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
All but two states are starting to phase in re-openings, although I think that most (if not all) school districts will remain closed through to the end of the current school year. You can look up the various states and find out about their phased openings at a number of news websites. Here's one of them:

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020...onavirus-trnd/

New York is phasing in different regions of the state, rather than opening the entire state at the same time. I believe that this is a cautious attempt to get the economy going again. Without a vaccine, it's still worrisome.
My question was referring to the OP's statement about his shul and its location.

I am aware that NY will be reopening up some areas/regions starting on May 16th. I have been told that Florida has a similar situation to NY where the Miami area and Broward County will stay closed while the rest of the state will start (or has already started?) a reopening process.

In Israel schools will start reopening next week:
https://www.ynetnews.com/category/3083

Old 05-14-2020, 11:08 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
My question was referring to the OP's statement about his shul and its location.

I am aware that NY will be reopening up some areas/regions starting on May 16th. I have been told that Florida has a similar situation to NY where the Miami area and Broward County will stay closed while the rest of the state will start (or has already started?) a reopening process.

In Israel schools will start reopening next week:
https://www.ynetnews.com/category/3083
Sorry, Chava. I didn't remember whether you lived in NY and already knew this. I'm in NY, so what's happening here is uppermost in my mind, I guess.

Even though the schools are closed here for the remainder of the school year, the district that I live in will still be holding their budget vote next month to cover expenses for the upcoming fiscal school year. For the very first time, everyone in my district is going to automatically receive ballots in the mail. I have a friend in California who always got her election day ballot in the mail, simply on request, and I was always a little bit envious of her not having to shlep out to any local polling place and wait on line to cast her ballot. I always wondered, if they can do that in Cali, why can't they do it in NY? And now, here it is -- I'm getting a ballot in the mail! I could get used to this -- and probably a whole lot of other people could get used to it, as well. Maybe this will be the start of us getting our ballots in the mail from now on? That would be sweet!

Old 05-14-2020, 11:16 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
Did we just have the same thought simultaneously? LOL! Look what I posted just two minutes before what you posted.

And, I agree, it would be wonderful if Israel is the one to discover it.
Oh wow....not just the same thought, but the same wording. Maybe we’re not as far apart as we think!

Old 05-14-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Oh wow....not just the same thought, but the same wording. Maybe we’re not as far apart as we think!
Under the umbrella of our faith, we are all closer to each other than we think.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:37 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
I had read several months ago that they were adapting the vaccine used for chickens for humans. An American-Israeli immunologist graduate student told me that they have isolated the protein antigen and that they are very, very close. I noticed that Israel is wisely not thumping their chest to the western media about their more restrictive measures and keeping the death rate per capita low (2 Percent).

Old 05-15-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I had read several months ago that they were adapting the vaccine used for chickens for humans. An American-Israeli immunologist graduate student told me that they have isolated the protein antigen and that they are very, very close. I noticed that Israel is wisely not thumping their chest to the western media about their more restrictive measures and keeping the death rate per capita low (2 Percent).
If Israel does develop a vaccine for COVID, I wonder how the boycotters will react? It brings to mind the famous "Answer to an Antisemite" by the late Jewish educator and humorist, Sam Levenson (1911-1980).

This short piece of his has been reprinted so many times in so many venues and has become a standard Jewish response to antisemitism, that I am sure I can safely post it here without any fear of copyright violation. Sam Levenson gave this to the world:

Answer to an Antisemite, by Sam Levinson

It's a free world; you don't have to like Jews, but if you don't, I suggest that you boycott certain Jewish products, like the Wasserman test for syphilis; digitalis, discovered by a Dr. Nuslin; insulin, discovered by Dr. Minofsky; chloral hydrate for convulsions, discovered by Dr. Lifreich; the Schick test for diphtheria; vitamins, discovered by Dr. Funk; streptomycin, discovered by Dr. Z. Woronan*; the polio pill by Dr. A. Sabin and the polio vaccine by Dr. Jonas Salk.

Go on, boycott! Humanitarian consistency requires that my people offer all these gifts to all people of the world. Fanatic consistency requires that all bigots accept syphilis, diabetes, convulsions, malnutrition, infantile paralysis and tuberculosis as a matter of principle.

You want to be mad? Be mad! But I'm telling you, you ain't going to feel so good!

*There has since been a correction made to Sam Levenson's piece: Dr. Z. Woronan wasn't the discoverer of streptomycin -- it was actually Dr. Selman Abraham Waksman who discovered streptomycin. But he was Jewish, also.

Old 05-15-2020, 06:15 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
If Israel does develop a vaccine for COVID, I wonder how the boycotters will react? It brings to mind the famous "Answer to an Antisemite" by the late Jewish educator and humorist, Sam Levenson (1911-1980).

This short piece of his has been reprinted so many times in so many venues and has become a standard Jewish response to antisemitism, that I am sure I can safely post it here without any fear of copyright violation. Sam Levenson gave this to the world:

Answer to an Antisemite, by Sam Levinson

It's a free world; you don't have to like Jews, but if you don't, I suggest that you boycott certain Jewish products, like the Wasserman test for syphilis; digitalis, discovered by a Dr. Nuslin; insulin, discovered by Dr. Minofsky; chloral hydrate for convulsions, discovered by Dr. Lifreich; the Schick test for diphtheria; vitamins, discovered by Dr. Funk; streptomycin, discovered by Dr. Z. Woronan*; the polio pill by Dr. A. Sabin and the polio vaccine by Dr. Jonas Salk.

Go on, boycott! Humanitarian consistency requires that my people offer all these gifts to all people of the world. Fanatic consistency requires that all bigots accept syphilis, diabetes, convulsions, malnutrition, infantile paralysis and tuberculosis as a matter of principle.

You want to be mad? Be mad! But I'm telling you, you ain't going to feel so good!

*There has since been a correction made to Sam Levenson's piece: Dr. Z. Woronan wasn't the discoverer of streptomycin -- it was actually Dr. Selman Abraham Waksman who discovered streptomycin. But he was Jewish, also.
Excellent point! We have college campuses cheering on the BDS movement (and creating a hostile environment for Jews, especially on campuses like NYU), as they insist that people should not purchase or otherwise support Israeli products.

I say that BDS supporters should 1) be last in line for a vaccine if Israel develops one, and 2) renounce their membership in BDS and dissolve the chapters. Or.....they can just "put their money where their mouth is" and refuse the vaccine.

Old 05-25-2020, 02:59 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times
My fear if Israel did find the vaccine is that it would fuel the flame of conspiracy theory. Maybe I'm just overly pessimistic.

FlipFlop - I'm glad your shul is able to come together, even if it's not ideal. My rabbi, like most in Massachusetts, is not opening even though our governor OKed houses of worship up to 40%. We are looking into using spaces at camps that will not run this summer so we can spread out very far, with masks, and still sing. Until that's worked out, we are continuing to stream services so people can stay connected at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism