Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 07:14 AM

9,110 posts, read 6,150,521 times

Advertisements

I've always been uncomfortable using Almond Milk or other nut milk as a dairy substitute when serving meat so I don't. There are brands that are dairy free but I feel like I'm "cheating" since it looks like and is used the same as dairy milk.

I've read opinions from different rabbis that say that since non-dairy products are ubiquitous these days, no one will assume it's dairy milk being served so it's ok.

Personal history and memories of having the separation makes my stomach turn at the thought of milk being poured onto or used in my meat dishes.

Anyone else have this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 08:07 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I've always been uncomfortable using Almond Milk or other nut milk as a dairy substitute when serving meat so I don't. There are brands that are dairy free but I feel like I'm "cheating" since it looks like and is used the same as dairy milk.

I've read opinions from different rabbis that say that since non-dairy products are ubiquitous these days, no one will assume it's dairy milk being served so it's ok.

Personal history and memories of having the separation makes my stomach turn at the thought of milk being poured onto or used in my meat dishes.

Anyone else have this problem?
That is interesting. Not Jewish myself, so I can't answer your direct question, but when I worked for a Hasidic-owned company and we had our holiday gathering at a kosher steakhouse, we were served non-dairy ice cream for dessert. My employers were observant, but that seemed to be OK with them.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:17 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,182 times
I think there is a teaching that we're not supposed to give the appearance of breaking halacha, even if using a non-dairy milk substitute with meat is technically "okay."

Rosends would know the answer to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is interesting. Not Jewish myself, so I can't answer your direct question, but when I worked for a Hasidic-owned company and we had our holiday gathering at a kosher steakhouse, we were served non-dairy ice cream for dessert. My employers were observant, but that seemed to be OK with them.
I'm going to guess that the kosher steakhouse probably had something written in their menus to specifically point out that the ice cream was non-dairy, so everyone would already be aware of this and it would be obvious that no one was breaking halacha?

I can't remember if Ben's Kosher Restaurant chain ever included non-dairy ice cream on their menus. Maybe Coney will know?

Old 02-18-2021, 08:34 AM

2,675 posts, read 1,262,453 times
There is a law which discusses eating fish blood. As eating animal blood is forbidden, there was concern that if one had fish blood at the table, a passer-by might mistakenly think that one is eating animal blood (which would lead to one or both of the following conclusions: 1. that as the eater is a religious Jew, animal blood is actually OK 2. that the person is a sinner, flouting Jewish law).

Judaism has a concern for what is called "mar'it ayin" that which is seen by the eye. In a situation where one is doing something permissible, but it could be misunderstood as something forbidden, the rabbis feared the wrong impression and forbade certain of these misinterpretable actions.

These concerns regarding food are not new and have been more and more in the forefront since non-dairy creamer and margarine became popular years ago.

When it comes to almond milk (and fake ice cream or cheese, which I have been enjoying recently), the ancient law already accounts for these. Check here for some interesting laws and sources which permit them.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I think there is a teaching that we're not supposed to give the appearance of breaking halacha, even if using a non-dairy milk substitute with meat is technically "okay."

Rosends would know the answer to this.

I'm going to guess that the kosher steakhouse probably had something written in their menus to specifically point out that the ice cream was non-dairy, so everyone would already be aware of this and it would be obvious that no one was breaking halacha?

I can't remember if Ben's Kosher Restaurant chain ever included non-dairy ice cream on their menus. Maybe Coney will know?
Oh, I don't think my employer would have remotely considered having the company dinner at that steakhouse if there was a drop of dairy in the place. These were Satmar holding a dinner at a Boro Park steakhouse. They lived in the neighborhood and probably knew the restaurant owner well.

Part of the reason they hired me, a goy, is because my boss could not meet a lot of potential clients for lunches or attend events where non-kosher food was served, as is normal the NYC engineering industry, but I could go on his behalf. There was an engineer in the office, orthodox but not Satmar, who told me he got lectured regularly because they knew he went to the Italian pizza place instead of the kosher one.

Besides, there is the most wonderful place right in the neighborhood called The Ice Cream House that makes kosher ice creams, including non-dairy, which probably supplied the dessert. All sorts of flavors you don't get anywhere else. I hope someday to make a trip back to the neighborhood to visit Green-Wood Cemetery, which is nearby, and get the green-apple sherbet ice cream there again.

This was the steakhouse:

https://www.theloftsteakhouse.com/

And this is the Ice Cream House:

https://www.theicecreamhouse.com/

Someday when COVID is over, Rachel, we're going to meet for ice cream.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-18-2021 at 10:51 AM..

Old 02-18-2021, 10:58 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
^I really doubt the Ice Cream House supplied the dessert to the Steakhouse. They would have to have separate facilities/buildings to keep the dairy ice cream separated from the non-dairy substitute. Once a food item is prepared with a dairy utensil, it becomes "dairy" and the utensils would have to be washed completely separate.

Rachel, I never bothered looking very hard at the desserts at Ben's. I'll bet they serve coffee at the table with a non-dairy creamer. Remember, Ben's is not glatt.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
^I really doubt the Ice Cream House supplied the dessert to the Steakhouse. They would have to have separate facilities/buildings to keep the dairy ice cream separated from the non-dairy substitute. Once a food item is prepared with a dairy utensil, it becomes "dairy" and the utensils would have to be washed completely separate.

Rachel, I never bothered looking very hard at the desserts at Ben's. I'll bet they serve coffee at the table with a non-dairy creamer. Remember, Ben's is not glatt.
Good point. Didn't think of that. Unless of course the Ice Cream House does keep the utensils separate, but I really don't know.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:36 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,182 times
Quote:
...Part of the reason they hired me, a goy, is because my boss could not meet a lot of potential clients for lunches or attend events where non-kosher food was served, as is normal the NYC engineering industry, but I could go on his behalf...
Sweet deal! Especially if the boss was not only paying for your time, but your lunch as well!

Quote:
Someday when COVID is over, Rachel, we're going to meet for ice cream.
Coney's going to join us at Ben's in Bayside!

Old 02-18-2021, 12:55 PM

9,110 posts, read 6,150,521 times
Thank you for all the comments. My grandmother OBM is in my head. So, no look-alike dairy products for me when using her meat dishes even if they are certified non-dairy.

Old 02-18-2021, 04:34 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
I remember my grandparents using Coffee Mate powder which is supposed to be none dairy in their coffee. Beyond that my Grandmother was not a cook anyone would want to emulate so I don't know what she added in the mashed potatoes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism